Cape Cod and a General Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
So am I correct in my assumption that there is not really any P25 traffic on the Cape and that the Smartnet II system is still being used as it has been in recent years? Not much use for my G5 out there then?

My files are older so I'll probably build a new one. Or does anyone have a file that would work in an old trusty PSR 500?

Thanks.

mule1075

Feed Provider
You will get a better answer if you post over at the scan new england board. Scott the owner of the board and others are on here but joining that board is the best bet in my opinion.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The MSP trunk on the Cape is still analog Type II and likely will be for some years. Most of the fire departments are on the trunk and the police departments are on 800 conventional and analog.

I don't have file for you, sorry.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
MSP Zone 4 for Barnstable County is on the 800MHz Type 2 system, as are every fire department on the Cape. Each department has it's own talkgroup as well as some backup UHF (400 MHz), 800 MHz conventional, and the older low band (33.XXX) channels.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Along with the MSP Zone 4 system, many of the town agencies including the fire departments also broadcast / simulcast the their talk group on a conventional frequency.

I was just up there earlier this month and all the FD's UHF and some left over legacy VHF Low Band frequencies are still correct in the database.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Most of the Police Departments use their talk group designation for primary ops on Zone 4. There are still some who use conventional 800MHz channels, such as Yarmouth, Barnstable, Sandwich, Falmouth, and Bourne, for primary operations, although they also have talk group channels on the trunk system.

ecps92

Even tho the MSP for much of Eastern Mass is Analog, there are a handfull of TG's that use P25 Voice, rare... and when used each site only has 2-3 freqs allocated to the P25
Those are Tactical and Radio Techs mostly

Best to program for the same analog as has been used since the Rebanding

So am I correct in my assumption that there is not really any P25 traffic on the Cape and that the Smartnet II system is still being used as it has been in recent years? Not much use for my G5 out there then?

My files are older so I'll probably build a new one. Or does anyone have a file that would work in an old trusty PSR 500?

Thanks.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
The info in the database for barnstable county, is at the bottom of my post and i was just there last week as every year i am for vacation in august, , i have 2 portable scanner set up the same with zone 4,6 & 11. I have the conventional channels in them to.

I do not think barnstable PD ID on the system is working yet because it says future and i have their conventional which is very active and no comms on their trunk id, also sandwich conventional 460.4250 also does not work , no comms on there but there is comms on their trunk id, they do have a second conventional which is 484.8250 but have not tried it to see if there is comms on it.

The majority of police, fire, and EMS operations in Barnstable County are trunked. Check the "Massachusetts State Police Statewide" link below for details. At a minimum, ensure that 855.5375 and 854.3625 are programmed as Motorola Type II. These are the control channels for Smartzone 04 of the MSP system, which covers the majority of Cape Cod. Also, if you live in or are visiting the "lower cape" (Wellfleet, Truro, Provincetown especially) you'll want to program MSP Zones 06 and 11.

Many Cape Cod Fire Departments are licensing UHF frequencies for simulcasting. Check individual towns for details. You will definitely want these programmed in the event the MSP Zone 04 system fails.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Barnstable PD operates on their primary frequency of 855.2125 D445. Their talk group on the trunk system (38096) does work, as it's only active if they switch from the conventional frequency above. Sandwich FD 460.425 PL 186.2 does work, and is a simulcast of their primary operations on the trunk system. It is active, as I hear it every day.

I would suggest to anyone using a trunking scanner to program ALL of the frequencies in whatever zone(s) they are monitoring, that way if a control channel switches to something not normally used, the scanner will not be affected.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Barnstable PD operates on their primary frequency of 855.2125 D445. Their talk group on the trunk system (38096) does work, as it's only active if they switch from the conventional frequency above. Sandwich FD 460.425 PL 186.2 does work, and is a simulcast of their primary operations on the trunk system. It is active, as I hear it every day.

I would suggest to anyone using a trunking scanner to program ALL of the frequencies in whatever zone(s) they are monitoring, that way if a control channel switches to something not normally used, the scanner will not be affected.

Is the frequency in the database for sandwich 484.8250 pl 186.2 also used , they must ave a reason to use 2 freqs for simulcast . Thanks

ecps92

Many agencies that had been using T-Band, began to acquire standard UHF frequencies when the push to close T-Band began.

They had that freq since 2005 and are still licensed.
Is the frequency in the database for sandwich 484.8250 pl 186.2 also used , they must ave a reason to use 2 freqs for simulcast . Thanks

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your relies and help.

My new file worked great. I logged some stuff that I will get to soon. Reception was great out in North Truro!

Status
Not open for further replies.