Lancaster County - P25 System (Was OpenSky System Dumped)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Are they testing for tone out over P25 trunking? You know, the thing the unication pagers are actually designed for...instead of as stand ins for expensive scanners that can't scan well.

CommJunkie

There is a channel in the new fleetmaps Zone 5 Channel 1 labeled "Dispatch". My guess is they'll eventually switch over to it, or at least simulcast on it.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
New Dispatch TG 4701 online

FYI,

TG 4701 is a new TG, active today.
Sounds like a 33.90 Dispatch on the South Simulcast.
Just like what is discussed in the recent posts..
Don't know if it's available on other Sites or is Zone dependent.
dispatch 716, 717, 719, 720 RID's observed.

Last edited:

Captain715

FYI,

TG 4701 is a new TG, active today.
Sounds like a 33.90 Dispatch on the South Simulcast.
Just like what is discussed in the recent posts..
Don't know if it's available on other Sites or is Zone dependent.
dispatch 716, 717, 719, 720 RID's observed.

It's available on the NW and Central sites as well. So far only heard voice, no two-tone.

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Confirmed with EMA and 2 Dispatchers, it will currently simulcast 33.9000 and in the future will be p25 paging and alert dispatch.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CommJunkie

Confirmed with EMA and 2 Dispatchers, it will currently simulcast 33.9000 and in the future will be p25 paging and alert dispatch.

Any idea if they will use the same tones or change them off the old plectron tone frequencies?

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Any idea if they will use the same tones or change them off the old plectron tone frequencies?
All he said was simulcast of voice from 33.9000 and future p25 paging..

I personally can not see Lancaster using p25 paging. Alphanumeric is the better, and cheaper way to go..

CommJunkie

All he said was simulcast of voice from 33.9000 and future p25 paging..

I personally can not see Lancaster using p25 paging. Alphanumeric is the better, and cheaper way to go..

It's up and running. Only the voice is broadcast, no tones yet.

We use Active 911 and it works well. The only problem I have with alphanumeric paging is you can't tell who's on a box or a medical assignment with you, you only know you've been dispatched.

E-542

Premium Subscriber
Currently also tones are going across the tg. Though some of them sound weird, and there's a few DB difference between tone audio and voice audio. Tried telling the comm supervisor about that since they forwarded me to them rather than radio techs, and got treated like I was bothering him and he was insulted for the information of about a 5db difference.
Either way, still some bugs to work out.

Captain715

"This is not a re-broadcast of 33.90, but rather a transmission coming directly out of the Zetron console into the P25 system and onto the “Dispatch” talk-group."

Directly from the email from the 911 Communications Supervisor, Radio System

E-542

Premium Subscriber
"This is not a re-broadcast of 33.90, but rather a transmission coming directly out of the Zetron console into the P25 system and onto the “Dispatch” talk-group."

Directly from the email from the 911 Communications Supervisor, Radio System

Oh that's pretty nifty honestly. Thanks for that!

goodmore

Using the G5 on the Lancaster System

Monitoring is something for me to do over the Winter. Educating myself with this forum is part of it.

I have recently programmed My G5 to monitor the rebroadcast of the 33.9 dispatch on the newly added TG on the trunked county system. I am not an emergency responder, but I programmed the G5 to monitor the tones of the talkgroup. The database says this is a rebroadcast of the 33.9 analog frequency. This forum has a post saying it is a direct feed into the trucked system. Either way it doesn't seem like the two tones of various fire departments trigger the G5. I followed Unication's YouTube video to program it. This isn't the end of the world, but I would just like to know if anyone else is using the G5 to monitor the tones on the new talkgroup. And if they are does it work?

gibersop

The Unications are going to need new firmware that will be released when Lancaster County has completed the test process. So programming tones to trip the pager will not work at this time.

goodmore

Thank You for the reply. I will watch the forums for an update. It seems the G5 was designed for tones on a trunking system. I hope it works eventually.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
I understand that it’s working on the test Unication pagers at LCWC. I was told that EMS paging is fine, although some fire companies are having issues. They’re going to roll out some test pagers after the holidays. Looking forward to ditching the old 33.90 pagers.

jim202

What most people don't understand is that paging tones need to have the level set very carefully. What many radio techs don't understand is the page tones can not be sent when the audio levels are in compression. This distorts the tones and makes trying to decode them very difficult. When the audio level of the tones is set correctly, the signal can almost be down into the noise and it will still be able to be decoded.

Trying to find a radio tech today that has much background with tone pagers is getting hard. The younger techs have not been educated in how to set the levels. The same thing sort of happens when setting the audio throughput of repeaters. If the level is set too high, all you end up doing is to bring up the background noise. If your local audio on a repeater is having the background road or engine noise come through the repeater, it probably is set with the pass through audio being too high. This in tern will kill the ability to pass paging tones through the repeater and have the tones be decoded.

This is not a simple thing to do. It generally takes 2 people to set up for and adjust the audio levels at both the dispatch consoles and then repeaters. With everything going to narrow banding several years back, the audio levels have become even more important.

If your radio system is having problems decoding paging tones, I would start by looking at the basic audio levels and throughput of the repeaters.

Jim

thecanman

Premium Subscriber
Ok so does anyone have a codeplug for the EMS pagers that are working fine?

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
P25 trunking paging tones are DIFFERENT from the analog tones..If you program the analog 33.90 tones, they will not activate.. Wait for Lancaster to release the new P25 tone sets and your G series pagers will activate just fine..

thecanman

Premium Subscriber
P25 trunking paging tones are DIFFERENT from the analog tones..If you program the analog 33.90 tones, they will not activate.. Wait for Lancaster to release the new P25 tone sets and your G series pagers will activate just fine..
Ok Thanks not really what I was asking but ok.

E-542

Premium Subscriber
What most people don't understand is that paging tones need to have the level set very carefully. What many radio techs don't understand is the page tones can not be sent when the audio levels are in compression. This distorts the tones and makes trying to decode them very difficult. When the audio level of the tones is set correctly, the signal can almost be down into the noise and it will still be able to be decoded.

Trying to find a radio tech today that has much background with tone pagers is getting hard. The younger techs have not been educated in how to set the levels. The same thing sort of happens when setting the audio throughput of repeaters. If the level is set too high, all you end up doing is to bring up the background noise. If your local audio on a repeater is having the background road or engine noise come through the repeater, it probably is set with the pass through audio being too high. This in tern will kill the ability to pass paging tones through the repeater and have the tones be decoded.

This is not a simple thing to do. It generally takes 2 people to set up for and adjust the audio levels at both the dispatch consoles and then repeaters. With everything going to narrow banding several years back, the audio levels have become even more important.

If your radio system is having problems decoding paging tones, I would start by looking at the basic audio levels and throughput of the repeaters.

Jim
Agreed,honestly. LCWC seems to be having that very issue, too. As a good number of the tones across the new TG are overly distorted(Not to mention a HUGE volume discrepancy between tone and voice), to the point I've removed that TG from the scan list entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.