Refurbished Pro-2021 project - K7MFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Recently, I was on the hunt for a desktop scanner for my desk at work. I didn't need anything new or high tech since this would just be for casual listening to the VHF local and wildfire comms, area ham and GMRS repeaters, ATC, NOAA, etc. I love old radios, especially Realistic/Radio Shack, so I began hunting for an old RS scanner that I could turn into a little low-budget project and keep an old radio in service. I found a Pro-2021 locally on Craigslist for $20. It powered up and received ok, but the pots were scratchy and it was kinda dingy looking:

EPYa3TZ.png

I'm definitely not a skilled electrical engineer so finding a scanner in good working order was important. I popped off the cover and was quite surprised to see that it looked brand new inside. This scanner appears to have been well taken care of, despite a somewhat cosmetically unappealing exterior:

7XreAvW.png

While I had the scanner open, I hit the volume and squelch potentiometers with a tiny bit of Deoxit, and the scratchiness on the output when operating them went away. The volume works smoothly across the range and audio output quality is excellent. A whole lot of elbow grease took take of cleaning up the exterior including the front panel and controls.

The next step was getting a decent antenna for the scanner - a flimsy telescoping back-of-set antenna did not work well for me inside the steel and concrete office building, and height/placement is very limited in a crowded office. Keeping with the spirit of the low budget project, I dug around my parts bin to see what I could come up with. On hand, I had a NMO bracket mount I ended up not using on my F-150 install. I sanded, primed, and painted the mount black to match the radio:

WbVEWUI.png

Almost there! I picked up a Laird A150/450C online for $25, and stopped by a local radio shop for a NMO mount + coax and a BNC terminal for $20. All in for $65 at this point for the Pro-2021 mini project. I fastened the antenna mount to the back of the radio like this:

eVMdr83.png

The additional 2 inches of antenna height on this bracket really makes a difference! :D The coax is terminated with a right angle BNC => Motorola connector. Here is the final result:

gJmiSJ1.png

ZgcvB9t.png

5oDBYef.png

It's not too pretty, but it looks OK on a software developer's desk! The audio quality and reception is great, I'm hearing distant VHF stations clearly, and the PHX ATC tower that is 2 miles from my office which could not be heard is now loud and clear inside my office. This radio will be in use for many more years to come.

Last edited:

lou9155

good job!....that cleaned up very nice..was it just crud on the outside?....when looking for nice used scanners on ebay im kinda shocked by the condition of some them ...lookin like they were dragged through a muddy river and then priced rediculous

K7MFC

WRAA720
Yeah it was mostly just grime from years of use. Some rubbing alcohol took it off pretty easily, but you just need to pay attention to each knob and button and thoroughly cover all surfaces:

LRCZqGP.png

FPOWLD

Looks good. Did you get the Radio Shack book I sent to you? Been unable to get a reply from you. I would like to know...please.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Hi FPOWLD, I did not see a reply from you after our initial conversion, my apologies!! I have not been to my mail box in the last couple days, but I will follow up with you in a private message momentarily.

edit:
I think I figured it out - I may be having an issue with private messages as I was recently required to change my RadioReference forums user name; it appears that I have not been receiving your correspondence based on my last received message from you in my inbox. If you don't mind vising my website mfcallahan.com, my email address and other contact info is listed there (would prefer not to post in a public forum) - please send your address and we can settle up ASAP! I am very sorry, this user name change has caused a multitude of issues for me while using the site..

Last edited:

K7MFC

WRAA720
One bad crimp job on the BNC terminal later, I finally have the scanner all set up on my desk at work. I had initially brought the radio into work, but soon realized that I did not properly terminate the coax from my antenna mount, and reception was becoming noticeably poor. I ordered one more NMO mount and a BNC connector, re-did the coax with extra care, and now I finally have a working radio for my desk!

OUQZCHa.png

I have the audio from the scanner, audio from the laptop next to it, and audio from my phone all feeding into a Behringer Micromix 400 that is sitting on top of the Pro-2021. This allows me to use one pair of headphone for listening to everything while at my desk.

radiostationx

Nice work K7MFC Matt !
I bet the Micromix comes in handy, nice idea !
It is great to see someone else revive an older model.
Certainly worth doing.
Nice Job , 73 Mike.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Thanks radiostationx - your recent post about the PRO-2006 you fixed up was great too. I'm currently on the hunt for one of those to fix up and put in the shack at my new house. I also love seeing old radios getting fixed up and being put back to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.