Any thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutscott

Premium Subscriber
Hi
I have a Whistler 1065 scanner and a home-made dipole antenna,
I can receive clearly ambulances at a hospital 40 miles away talking to the county dispatch which is two miles from my place.
I recently loaded a police department frequency into scanner-that department is 8 miles away.
The dispatch and cars come through with a lot of power and db but words are slightly garbled which makes it hard to understand.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Scott

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Garbled voice

Sounds like either your radio or the PD is slightly off frequency. It could also be caused by a nearby transmitter, but the odds of both signals at the same time are very low unless the second transmitter is a beacon or other continuous signal.

bailly2

is it a trunked system? if so its possible its simulcast distortion because its a LSM system. if thats the case use the stock antenna it came with, and stick the antenna through a hole in the side of an empty paint can near the bottom. helped alot with a 2 site lsm system near me

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Hi
I have a Whistler 1065 scanner and a home-made dipole antenna,
I can receive clearly ambulances at a hospital 40 miles away talking to the county dispatch which is two miles from my place.
I recently loaded a police department frequency into scanner-that department is 8 miles away.
The dispatch and cars come through with a lot of power and db but words are slightly garbled which makes it hard to understand.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Scott

Could you identify the police department you are trying to receive?

troutscott

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the responses.

These are the frequencies that I recently loaded that are garbled.

155.06250 WQAZ654 RM 654 DPL PCRFEMS EMS FMN Fire Dispatch
155.53500 WPIW836 RM 712 DPL PCRFPD Police FMN Law Dispatch

troymail

Silent Key
General thoughts based on the available information:

Both of those licenses include DMR emission types but if you can make out some voice, it doesn't sound like that is the issue. Is the voice you hear basic analog or something else?

Some departments use thing like voice inversion to mask voice on analog frequencies (I have one that is full time operated in this many near me).

Perhaps you are getting "too much" signal - try a basic antenna and/or using ATTentuation.

Beyond that, making and posting some type of recording/audio or video of the frequencies (with both good and bad reception) is probably needed to better understand what you are experiencing. With that, we can probably instantly tell you what is happening.

troutscott

Premium Subscriber
Trying to upload video.

I also notice during garbled transmission the agency name is not shown just "Channel 1"

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Check Mode?

Just a possibility... ensure that you're using FMN as opposed to FM. Again, just grasping at straws and giving you something else to try. Good Luck.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Go into the EZ Scan software, click on Conventional Frequencies tab.
Find the Frequency for the Police or whichever you wish to edit, and then look for the Mode column... the choices should be: AM FM NFM AUTO or DMR... I would select NFM or AUTO to see if that helps.

N8IAA

Go into the EZ Scan software, click on Conventional Frequencies tab.
Find the Frequency for the Police or whichever you wish to edit, and then look for the Mode column... the choices should be: AM FM NFM AUTO or DMR... I would select NFM or AUTO to see if that helps.

1065 doesn't use EZScan. It can, however, use Win500, PSREdit500, or Arc500.
It is completely a Phase I scanner. No DMR. But, your advice will help if he uses one of the above mentioned programming software choices.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.