Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4REG

Chrysler Minivan center console:
Kenwood TM-D710A VHF/UHF
Uniden BCD-996XT Scanner
Cobra 29LX CB
Precision Power audio amplifiers

Audio output from the radios goes into line-level converters, then gets Y'd into the amplifier channels that power the stock dashboard speakers. Since I can't hear the radios unless the stereo is turned on anyway, I took the remote turn-on lead for the amplifiers from the stereo's head unit and ran it to a 30a relay that powers a RigRunner power supply that power the radios. Now everything turns off together when I turn the van off and take the key out. Works great! It's all powered from a distribution block with 4 gauge cable straight from the battery. And now that State law has changed to read that firearms can be kept in "any closable compartment", I had just enough space to put a double-stack .45 w/ 2 mags in the push-to-open center console compartment. There's a grill for the back that's held in place with the magnets you can see in the last pic.

Attachments

• vanshak.jpg
    vanshak.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 1,904
  • vanrak.jpg
    vanrak.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 1,897
Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Yes Rich but an antenna is part of the install also. Some DIY may not know the in and outs and how to get around all the new side air bags that can go off and kill you during your install.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Yes Rich but an antenna is part of the install also. Some DIY may not know the in and outs and how to get around all the new side air bags that can go off and kill you during your install.

What are you talking about?

KM4REG

Do you have any exterior photos / antennas pics?

Nothing too exciting, Laird wideband for the scanner with a GPS puck next to it, SS something or another for the dual-band that came included with one of my radios, and some Acme brand CB antenna off of ebay....
And yes, I deleted the other pics so people will stop asking stupid questions and making dumb remarks...
Jeez some of you guys are paranoid, but I don't live in fear, but thanks anyway for the concern~

Attachments

• vantennas.jpg
    vantennas.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,341

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Kevin if doing permanent antenna installs you could trigger the side airbags. It would just be good info if someone listed how they did their antenna install. Prying off the trim could trip the side airbag. Just a thought. But now I see mag mounts. Sorry if how I am trained by my Fire Department makes people think I am paranoid. I have seen pictures of what a airbag will do.

KM4REG

Sorry if how I am trained by my Fire Department makes people think I am paranoid. I have seen pictures of what a airbag will do.

Sorry, I wasn't at all referring to your concern about accidentally triggering airbags, it was directed towards some previous posts that the I guess the admins removed. All valid concerns nonetheless. Luckily, there's no sidebags to deal with here, but for sure, gotta be careful around them. I did car audio for years and was always aware of the potential danger. Definitely keep your face out of the way when you have to get "persuasive" with those stubborn body panel clips.

radiotech181

We do lots of permanent antenna installs with vehicles with side airbags. PLEASE disconnect battery before any work and it will be fine.. My two cents...73

cmdrwill

Thanks~
Yep, 1/2" oak. I wish I had made it a little bit larger though. It took some doing to stuff everything inside.

"It took some doing to stuff everything inside the console"

That is for sure, not much space there.

Ubbe

We do lots of permanent antenna installs with vehicles with side airbags. PLEASE disconnect battery before any work and it will be fine.. My two cents...73

Isn't there a lot of unwanted things happening when doing that? Clock resets, AM/FM radio looses its preset channels, car alarm freaks out. If you have a cellular help/crash service it dials up the emergency central and reports that someone cut the battery cord, presumably in an attemp to disable the alarm and steal your car?

I thought that modern cars had an installation/maintanance mode you enable by fiddling with the ignition key, or some other buttons in combination with the blinker arm to disable all airbags and alarms until next time ignition is turned on.

/Ubbe

belvdr

No longer interested in living
If you have a cellular help/crash service it dials up the emergency central and reports that someone cut the battery cord, presumably in an attemp to disable the alarm and steal your car?

I thought that modern cars had an installation/maintanance mode you enable by fiddling with the ignition key, or some other buttons in combination with the blinker arm to disable all airbags and alarms until next time ignition is turned on.

/Ubbe
I've never heard of such a thing.

Such a scenario would cause a problem when someone needs to replace the battery. It would also be an issue for a thief, because if they cut the battery cable, they don't have a way to start the car.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
UBBE we have never heard of any other way to kill the airbag system other than disconnect the battery this is what was taught by GM the last class they taught.

I've never heard of such a thing.

Such a scenario would cause a problem when someone needs to replace the battery. It would also be an issue for a thief, because if they cut the battery cable, they don't have a way to start the car.

I've never, either. In fact, on my truck (a '15) if I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, no settings whatsoever are lost - radio memories, clock, seat memories, even the heat/air setting will be exactly as they were when I turned the truck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.