Hurricane Florence Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Well guys it's been fun listening and adding updates but it's come to an end. Just lost power here at home. Wouldn't think it'd go out, weather isn't bad here near downtown Raleigh, but guess I was wrong.

My prayers go out to all those suffering far worse than me on the eastern shore and for the first responders doing an amazing job.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Well guys it's been fun listening and adding updates but it's come to an end. Just lost power here at home. Wouldn't think it'd go out, weather isn't bad here near downtown Raleigh, but guess I was wrong.

My prayers go out to all those suffering far worse than me on the eastern shore and for the first responders doing an amazing job.

Stay safe my friend... hope the outage doesn't last too long!

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Going to take a break from monitoring for a while. Just FYI, I am recording all of the traffic I have received during my periods of monitoring. Not everything is being put through the tower sites over here in the Triad, but there is still a good deal to monitor.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
TG 52601-not listed in the VIPER database

Traffic sounds like a hospital or emergency shelter. RIDs 20770XX

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
TG 52601-not listed in the VIPER database

Traffic sounds like a hospital or emergency shelter. RIDs 20770XX
See posts #33 and 34, Marshall gave his input on that TG, Viper Medical Network Zone "L" channel 10.

12dbsinad

An asinine comment made with no relevant information what so ever.

What information do I need, they are STILL using the TRS.

The spare tire isn't flat if another center / psap is able to pull up the same talkgroups.
Perhaps you have a better means / solution?

You must think these large systems run on love. Another RCC isn't going to pull up anything if there is a large system outage. A good backup IMHO would be conventional repeaters not tied to the network, base to mobile simplex comms, etc. Those are true backup systems.

If you use the VIPER system and your primary means go down (like the sites or backhaul) what makes you think switching to the statewide calling channel is going to work?

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Don't know what's going on here other than some type of patch or something but viper went down in Cumberland co and I caught the Sheriff Dept. Dispatch Tg 13504 working off the Fay City/Durham system

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
What information do I need, they are STILL using the TRS.

You must think these large systems run on love. Another RCC isn't going to pull up anything if there is a large system outage. A good backup IMHO would be conventional repeaters not tied to the network, base to mobile simplex comms, etc. Those are true backup systems.

If you use the VIPER system and your primary means go down (like the sites or backhaul) what makes you think switching to the statewide calling channel is going to work?

Agreed. Dare's P25 system partially went down for a short while in Matthew and Arthur in 2014. 800MHz doesn't carry well in hurricane sized rain events. Local HAM's kept comms up on VHF. Digital is nice until you have a disaster and as has been demonstrated, these systems are not robust enough for these types of events. Our county now likes to keep HAM operators at every fire station to handle comms when hurricanes hit

basstuba

Premium Subscriber
Don't know what's going on here other than some type of patch or something but viper went down in Cumberland co and I caught the Sheriff Dept. Dispatch Tg 13504 working off the Fay City/Durham system
Picking up 13643 sounds like Cumberland county ems traffic also on the Fay city trs

Last edited:

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Noted some traffic on Statewide Events Echo 1 for the first time over here. Didn't catch who it was though.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Traffic on HART OPS (TG 52010) this morning -- Aircraft stopping for fuel in Winston-Salem

Statewide Law (TG 52259) is also being used as I heard Carterett request that Duplin EOC switch from Statewide Call to Statewide Law. I could not hear the traffic over here though... Statewide Law must not be going through the triad-area sites.

Traffic on Statewide Events Bravo 4 (TG 51962) -- Seems to be Davie County unit(s) arriving on scene at Harnett County EOC.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Currently hearing three coast guard helos doing SAR activities on NCHARTKD3 (52006) utilizing RIDs of 35000xx (Coast Guard Helos 6503, 6534 and 6560) along with an unknown fourth helo.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
ADS-B Exchange is tracking an Air Force Boeing E-3G Sentry (E3CF) aircraft callsign SNTRY25
Altitude: 29000 ft Speed: 414.5 kts Squawk: 5622 circling between Rocky Mount and Washington NC. Unsure if it's providing support for the SAR ops. Have not heard any comms from this plane.

ADS=B Exchange is not showing the CG Helos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywvcaytxk8hsk9g/Screenshot 2018-09-15 15.14.37.png?dl=0

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Been hearing a good deal of traffic on the statewide channels from out-of-state rescue teams. I've heard Michigan and the Indiana Swift Water Rescue Team in the last little bit.

reconrider8

ADS-B Exchange is tracking an Air Force Boeing E-3G Sentry (E3CF) aircraft callsign SNTRY25
Altitude: 29000 ft Speed: 414.5 kts Squawk: 5622 circling between Rocky Mount and Washington NC. Unsure if it's providing support for the SAR ops. Have not heard any comms from this plane.

ADS=B Exchange is not showing the CG Helos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywvcaytxk8hsk9g/Screenshot 2018-09-15 15.14.37.png?dl=0

someone posted on a facebook group that he is controlling the airspace for rescue ops

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Caught a little bit of traffic on DPRR 1 TG 1 (TGID 51839)
They've been coordinating SAR response on there, also on NCWRCDIST2 (TG 52095).

Most active I'm hearing is helo SAR & med transport on NCHARTKD3 (TG 52006), helo ops continue until 6:30pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.