Wanted: FDNY Dispatchers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is the open competitive for Fdny fire fighter is, the department doesn’t want to hire off of the list any more, they have so many fire fighters as it is, from what I was told, the last fire fighter test will probably be the last one that will be open competitive, from now on if you wanna be a fire fighter you gotta spend 2 years in EMS then take fhe promotional; issue is? Ems gets treated like crap from the chiefs and the people and they don’t get paid much, a lot of their personel wanna leave, and go to other units like dispatch, my class size has the a lot of ems and corrections. And it’s only provisional so it speaks a lot, training for fire alarm dispatch is in Bronx and it’s suppose to start at fhe end of October, I did everything and passed my medical so it’s juat waiting for the final decisions from fhe chiefs of fhe fire dispatch to pick who they want and then we get the call, any other questions you can feel free to ask and even though the hours for FAD are really bad lol a lot of us are willing to take it. Like me, do good and the department will look out for you. Starting pay is trash but it’s sometbing that will hold.

Starting pay is 38K and sorry for the grammar error above I am writing on my iPhone but anyways my class is suppose to start at the end of October, we have to do 7 am to 7 pm tours, 2 day tours and 2 over night tours which are the same hours as 7 to 7, after working 4 days we get 4 days off, training is 8 weeks in the Bronx, chiefs said once we take the exam and pass it they will look for us and call us off the list. I just completed my medical which is fhe last step in the process and now juat waiting for the call, Also I don’t know what the top pay is, people told me 76-65k is your top base pay, but I’ll find our once I get the call.

ms784

Feed Provider
Back on topic, what IS the actual starting salary ? I’d also like to know what the actual starting take home pay is when you take into account all the deductions. And let’s not forget Port Authority hitting you with a few tolls, gas, etc.

From when I worked there, our contract was this:

6th Grade - $34,783
5th Grade - $36,352
4th Grade - $43,478
3rd Grade - $45,216
2nd Grade - $47,023
1st Grade - $57,514

That's all base and doesn't include shift differential, holiday pay and FLSA pay. I think now it's all about 10% higher, but that's still in the toilet. Living in Rockland I was hit with the City Waiver tax, plus tolls, gas and wear and tear on my car. Net pay alone I was looking at about $1,000 to $1,200 every 2 weeks back in 2013.

Needless to say I used the job as a stepping stone back "upstate". Great job, learned a lifetime, but not something you can raise a family with in this area.

What sucks is the fire alarm dispatcher exam isn’t coming out until May 2019 if we do get hired at the end of October we would have to wait 8 months of our probationary/provisional period to end to take it, our provisonal position is only good for 9 months, it just sucks that we do the academy and pass it and only to be learning that we’ll be let go in 9 months because the City didn’t release the exam that provisionals needed to take to pass to keep there jobs on time. Smh oh well Atleast it’s something. Let’s hope for fhe best

PaulNDaOC

The problem is the open competitive for Fdny fire fighter is, the department doesn’t want to hire off of the list any more, they have so many fire fighters as it is, from what I was told, the last fire fighter test will probably be the last one that will be open competitive, from now on if you wanna be a fire fighter you gotta spend 2 years in EMS then take fhe promotional; issue is? Ems gets treated like crap from the chiefs and the people and they don’t get paid much, a lot of their personel wanna leave, and go to other units like dispatch, my class size has the a lot of ems and corrections. And it’s only provisional so it speaks a lot, training for fire alarm dispatch is in Bronx and it’s suppose to start at fhe end of October, I did everything and passed my medical so it’s juat waiting for the final decisions from fhe chiefs of fhe fire dispatch to pick who they want and then we get the call, any other questions you can feel free to ask and even though the hours for FAD are really bad lol a lot of us are willing to take it. Like me, do good and the department will look out for you. Starting pay is trash but it’s sometbing that will hold.

Good luck with nailing down the spot in the next class.

I found it a little odd that they had you do the medical before offer a conditional hire based on background check and medical, then if you pass both in which is typical now.

But regardless, it's worth the trouble, it's a great career, and once you have a few years under your blet you can take your experience anywhere in the country where you meet the minimum qualifications because your skill is in demand and your a much better chance of making it with an average washout rate at 2/3 for candidates without experience.

Let me tell you this. I assume you are a scanner listener, and that will gives you an advantage over the of wives and kids of firemen that seemed to get slots in big numbers too, just don't rub it in anyone's face, not even the trainee's..You don't want to be tagged the Sheldon Cooper of the class or even worse the dispatch floor.

Your ear is already tuned to how the radio sounds, can translate it without having to ask, maybe a lot of the city geography, landmarks, and fire resources. It really helps.

Last edited:

PaulNDaOC

I never said that in my first post.

What I said was...well, read it again. You threw some large figures up there with no breakdown of how it comes about, with the implication that it may have been a starting salary, and expect everyone to believe it at face value.

Frankly, even for 100k, to work "firehouse hours" would turn me off. Unless they condone sleeping by their dispatchers (which most agencies don't) which would entail a large manpower. In fact, the 12 hours that the FDNY dispatchers work is a bit much, especially considering the environment they are in.

(BTW...if you ARE working some type of 24 hour shift, then you must be difficult to work with, with your short fuse.....!)

You know what you did. You think you know it all, and you correct people all the time here, sometimes with wrong information because you are just one of those that can't resist the need to belittle and mock others because it makes you look better.

You know nothing about dispatching firsthand, and you picture is probably posted near the door and bulletin board of every center in the area labeled "DO NOT LET HIM INSIDE"

My demeanor is fine, and I have never had a complaint made about me, setting you straight is not the same as a bad temper. You can check my posts and see I do not engage in feuds. Your just a know it all that thought you would school me and can't handle having it shoved right back at you with references in hand.

You won't win this one, so go lick your wounds and learn something about yourself.

Last edited:
Good luck with nailing down the spot in the next class.

I found it a little odd that they had you do the medical before offer a conditional hire based on background check and medical, then if you pass both in which is typical now.

But regardless, it's worth the trouble, it's a great career, and once you have a few years under your blet you can take your experience anywhere in the country where you meet the minimum qualifications because your skill is in demand and your a much better chance of making it with an average washout rate at 2/3 for candidates without experience.

Let me tell you this. I assume you are a scanner listener, and that will gives you an advantage over the of wives and kids of firemen that seemed to get slots in big numbers too, just don't rub it in anyone's face, not even the trainee's..You don't want to be tagged the Sheldon Cooper of the class or even worse the dispatch floor.

Your ear is already tuned to how the radio sounds, can translate it without having to ask, maybe a lot of the city geography, landmarks, and fire resources. It really helps.

Usually the steps in dispatch fdny hire is always the initial interview where you start your background investigation and your first meet with BI and then you meet with the chiefs of the department which is 3-4 people and then once you answer those questions calmly at the end of the interview a person will schedule you for the medical a week after and then after you finnish that and pass everything, your just waiting for the call to go to fort toten to go pick up your uniform and report to duty. Also thank you I know I’ll get fhe position, I’m lookin to stay in dispatch, keeping my title so I just gotta take fhe exam for this title which is coming out next year and pass it so the department can call back in the provisionals who took and pass the civil service exam and hire them first. I listen to a lot of nypd frequency, not fire but recently I have but thank you for giving me some advice

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Here's a dispatcher's job for a major NJ hospital system. It's a "per diem" position which pays $19 an hour.

In addition to the Ph.D-type of qualifications, they want two years of EMS dispatching....AND...one year of public safety dispatching....AND...two years of EMS driving experience.

So a retired cop who got his EMT while on the job, and may have "worked the desk" and did the (public safety) dispatching on and off, wouldn't qualify, because he didn't have two years of EMS dispatching and/or never drove an ambulance....as well as a host of other "credentials."

And, at $19 per, even if you work a full 40-hours a week, it would only come out to about $26k a year.

Again, they have "qualifications" which disqualify otherwise good people who would be good dispatchers, because they didn't have the "credentials" which would never make them a better dispatcher in the first place.

They'd be better off asking for qualifications like these, mentioned above:

Yes it does...no doubt!

And I bet they wonder why they have "multiple positions" open and no takers....:

Job Description

MULTIPLE POSITIONS

Qualifications: The EMS Dispatcher EMT per diem must have at least two (2) years EMS and one (1) year of Public Safety dispatching experience. The EMS Dispatcher EMT per diem must have at least two (2) years of EMS driving experience with a good driving record. The EMS Dispatcher EMT per diem must be able to pass a medical evaluation and a respirator fit test and wear an N95 particulate filter respirator mask in accordance with PEOSHA standards as a condition of employment. It is desirable that the EMS Dispatcher EMT per diem peaks Spanish. The EMS Dispatcher EMT per diem must possess and maintain current and active credentials in good standing (as determined by initial and periodic Primary Source Verification) as follows:

​​​Credential Required: (NJ Basic Telecommunicator certification and NJ Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) certification ("or an equivalent certification approved by the EMS Department Management') and Emergency Medical Technician ​​– Basic (EMT) Certification issued by the National Registry OR the states of NJ, PA, NY, ​​DE, MD, VA, WV, or the District of Columbia, or any other member of the Atlantic EMS council OR NJ Mobile Intensive Care ​​Paramedic (MICP) or Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN) certification. ​​Note: NJ EMT Reciprocity must be obtained within 6 months of hire AND Medical Priority Dispatch System (MPDS) ​certification must be obtained within 1 year of hire Driver’s license with NJ driving privileges. ​​Driver’s license must be in accordance with the DOT/MVC regulations for the type/size/weight of the vehicle(s) as assigned. American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for the Healthcare Provider​​ Incident Command System (ICS) Level 100 ​National Incident Management System (NIMS) Awareness​​- Primary Source Verification​​: NJ Department of Health, Office of Emergency Medical Services, NJ Office of Information​​ Technology (BTC), National Association of Emergency Medical Dispatchers (EMD), NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.​

Last edited:

sc800

That's not how I read that job description.

They are looking for a dispatcher who also can pick up shifts on a bus. They want two years of EMS experience and one year of Public Safety Dispatching experience. If the word dispatching applied to the EamS qualification too they would have put it there as well

I got an email from my investigator stating my background packet was complete on his end and he has to send it to his super to check but there is suppose to be 2 classes going in at the end of October 22nd and for 29th.

Copy 10-4 I’ll fill you guys in if I do get the call it’ll have to be next week so let’s see fingers crossed, I know once I get the call I have to report to fort toten for the uniforms to be given to us by the quarter master an then report for 8 weeks of training in the Bronx but I’ll keep you fellas posted

PaulNDaOC

I got an email from my investigator stating my background packet was complete on his end and he has to send it to his super to check but there is suppose to be 2 classes going in at the end of October 22nd and for 29th.

That is great news. Anytime the background investigator has stayed in touch with you and has told you he/she sent your packet up for it to be signed off on is a high five kind of event in my experience. If there was any sort of question in his/her mind talk of class dates would not be included IMHO. It's looking good, knock on wood.

I think you said you have spent a lot of time monitoring NYPD and that will really help quite a bit talking with their dispatchers, especially during emergent situations where translating lingo quickly may come into play.

Last edited:

PaulNDaOC

Usually the steps in dispatch fdny hire is always the initial interview where you start your background investigation and your first meet with BI and then you meet with the chiefs of the department which is 3-4 people and then once you answer those questions calmly at the end of the interview a person will schedule you for the medical a week after and then after you finnish that and pass everything, your just waiting for the call to go to fort toten to go pick up your uniform and report to duty. Also thank you I know I’ll get fhe position, I’m lookin to stay in dispatch, keeping my title so I just gotta take fhe exam for this title which is coming out next year and pass it so the department can call back in the provisionals who took and pass the civil service exam and hire them first. I listen to a lot of nypd frequency, not fire but recently I have but thank you for giving me some advice

The FDNY hiring process sounds typical. The only thing that caught my attention was not making a conditional hiring offer pre-medical, which is becoming more the norm because of suits alleging discriminatiion. The way that it sounds like FDNY proceeds with the hiring process is old school and is well-respected.

That is great news. Anytime the background investigator has stayed in touch with you and has told you he/she sent your packet up for it to be signed off on is a high five kind of event in my experience. If there was any sort of question in his/her mind talk of class dates would not be included IMHO. It's looking good, knock on wood.

I think you said you have spent a lot of time monitoring NYPD and that will really help quite a bit talking with their dispatchers, especially during emergent situations where translating lingo quickly may come into play.

Yeah man I am super happy about hearing what my investigator had told me, just gotta wait for that call ! And also yeah I spent a lot of time monitoring nypd radio in the past but I don’t really do too much lf it now but I do know radio talk and thank you for the advice brother

The FDNY hiring process sounds typical. The only thing that caught my attention was not making a conditional hiring offer pre-medical, which is becoming more the norm because of suits alleging discriminatiion. The way that it sounds like FDNY proceeds with the hiring process is old school and is well-respected.

Fdny never makes any conditional offer before passing the steps first, which is weird lol cause you don’t know if you’ll be called or not but it’s a fair process and respectful, everyone who works with you is nothing but respectful, unlike nypd’s process where everyone has a stick up the butt from investigators to the cops who work in the APD building in East 20th, I also wanna say that the guys who are in the process with me are current correction officers from doc and upstate so kinda speaks a lot about the current job situation in that field and some ems guys from fdny too who are coming over. But yes this process is fair and quick and I loved it.

One of the most stressful things is just waiting for the call and being told you’re hired, maybe I’m just impatient lol

I got the call! I go in on the 17th for processing and then the 22nd for the academy ! I’ll fill you fellas in on an update soon

APX7500X2

Yeah...but are they necessary?

At some point, you're overqualifying a position that doesn't need THAT much qualification...especially with the low-ball salary offered for those jobs.

The point is, with these "Ph.D"-type qualifications for dispatcher, which few will have, has eliminated possibly a large pool of potentially good fire...and police...dispatchers.

Maybe if the salaries (plural) were greater, the idea of attaining those qualifications wouldn't be such a bad thing. But as it stands now, it is, and will be, a detriment to the hiring.

Did you read them...If you have a High school diploma and are a Dispatcher for Fire/Ems/PD 2 years your in...lots of OR in the list not AND

Status
Not open for further replies.