Howdy North Carolina Folks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I'll be heading your way, home-basing in Cornelius/Lake Norman, and was wondering what your suggestions would be for monitoring with my PSR800, mostly just police and fire.

We will probably be making a few trips into Davidson, Huntersville and Charlotte as well so any tips/tricks and advice would be awesome.

Thanks for any help.

trumpetman

Database Admin
You'll be able to hear most public safety on the Charlotte UASI system (sys ID 2D0).

Cornelius fire is dispatched on county fire dispatch along with Huntersville and Davidson and assigned county ops channels for working incidents.

Cornelius police is on the North Meck "NM DISP" channels along with Davidson College police. Huntersville & Davidson police are dispatched on the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police North division talkgroup.

Lake season is winding down but it wouldn't hurt to keep the North Lakes talkgroup in for any operations on the lake. Police, fire, and state resources monitor that channel along with some selective usage on the state VIPER channel for Lake Norman (9567).

The Huntersville VIPER tower will work well for most of the area you plan to be on. You can listen to the State Highway Patrol, Mecklenburg is Troop H District 5, all they work is the interstate.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions. There's a fair amount of us on here that live in the Charlotte area and even a few of us including myself who live in Huntersville.

nwalshjr

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Lake Norman!

I am a 25 year resident of Huntersville. My monitoring stretches out over those years except a short time when scanners could not pick up trucked systems.

I currently have a Unication G5 and a coupe of Uniden scanners. My G5 works well on the Charlotte UASI system (Simulcast). My Uniden scanners struggle with lots of missed transmissions.

Always happy to help with questions about the area (scanners or others).

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Awesome nwalshjr, thank you for the reply.

Hopefully I'll have better luck than I did when I was in Asheville, although I had the HP1 then.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
You'll be able to hear most public safety on the Charlotte UASI system (sys ID 2D0).

Cornelius fire is dispatched on county fire dispatch along with Huntersville and Davidson and assigned county ops channels for working incidents.

Cornelius police is on the North Meck "NM DISP" channels along with Davidson College police. Huntersville & Davidson police are dispatched on the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police North division talkgroup.

Lake season is winding down but it wouldn't hurt to keep the North Lakes talkgroup in for any operations on the lake. Police, fire, and state resources monitor that channel along with some selective usage on the state VIPER channel for Lake Norman (9567).

The Huntersville VIPER tower will work well for most of the area you plan to be on. You can listen to the State Highway Patrol, Mecklenburg is Troop H District 5, all they work is the interstate.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions. There's a fair amount of us on here that live in the Charlotte area and even a few of us including myself who live in Huntersville.
Thanks for the TG (for me). First I've seen the Catawba Co Lake Norman TG 9567. I'm on the west side so North Lakes on UASI is what I monitor for lake events. I'll add VIPER 9567 on an adjacent knob on my G5. Good info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RF-Burns

Welcome to the area. First and foremost start learning the back roads and stay off 77. If you need to get on 77 at anytime day or night make sure you check with Waze or Google Maps Traffic first. The very first thing you'll notice down here the the absolute gridlock, it is bad. I am from the WNY area and didn't know what traffic was until I moved here.

Now onto the fun stuff. You'll certainly want to load the Mecklenburg County UASI Site into the radio. Fire Dispatch and EMS Dispatch are self explanatory. Now all the odd OPS Channels are EMS Talkgroups and all the EVEN talkgroups are for fire. The only expectation is OPS 4 which is county EMS calls.

Here is a break down of the OPS Channels for the County

OPS 3 Charlotte EMS calls,
OPS 4 County EMS calls
OPS 5,7,9,11,15,17,19,21,23 are used for calls where multiple ambulances are sent (bad wrecks ect)
OPS 10 & 12 are for highway responses with fire depts (MVA, Car Fires ect on 77, 85, 485)
OPS 13 is EMS at the Airport

I personally don't program any EMS talkgroups in my radios. I have no interest in listening to them, but that's me.

Charlotte Fire is self explanatory. They have an automated dispatch that voice announces all calls. On Monday they shut the automated dispatch off and use regular human voice dispatching. I've been told its to keep the skills up of the person dispatching that day.

Break down of City Fire OPS

Bravo - City Fire Ops
Charlie - City Fire Ops
Delta - City Fire Ops
Echo - City Fire Ops
Foxtrot - City Fire Ops
Golf - City Fire Ops
Hotel - City Fire Ops
India - City Fire Ops
Juliet - Airport Fire Calls

CFD Conference and talkgroup K-Kilo are encrypted so don't bother programming those.

Bridge is fun to listen to. CFD, CMPD, & MEDIC use it to talk between each other.

North Lakes (Lake Norman) South Lakes (Lake Wylie) are always fun to listen too. They are active all year but more so in the summer months. Multiple people die every year on both lakes by boating accidents, drinking, falling overboard and so on. these two talkgroups you will certainly want to listen too. The Viper talkgroup that Trumpetman listed is really only used by Fish and Wildlife on the lake and few others in Catawba County. All fire and ems in Meck County only use the North or South Lakes talkgroups.

The UASI Regional Talkgroups are not often used but they do provide some fun listening. PD Pursuit is used during car chases. I've only ever heard one other talkgroup used during the Mooresville Black Lives Matter protest a few years ago. That happened shortly after the riots in Charlotte in 2016.

As for the rest of VIPER Meck County doesn't use it regularly. The only time you'll hear it used in Meck County is if they are using one of the Statewide Event talkgroups. Even then it would be a cold day in hell before the city or county requested an Events Channel from the State EOC.

I don't follow police so I can't help there but Trumpetman has answered a lot of those concerns.

If you need any help with Fire or EMS feel free to PM me, I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Motoman55

Last edited by a moderator:

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up motorman

Yeah, I'm guessing we were going to take 77 from airport to Cornelius. Is 485 to a state highway any better...?

That is excellent info. I appreciate the reply. Time to start working up a scan set...

Soundman

I see you have the PSR800 so you can program it easy . Maybe your scanner will pick up better then the uniden will .If you are in downtown you will have no problem . There is 2 towers down town . When you program your scanner it will put all you need for Charlotte UASI system.Just remember to bring your cable if you need to update your scanner if something is not work right .

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you soundman

The HP1 was great for the GPS option and ease of use but it didn't seem to pick up as well as the 800 does. I guess you can't have it all.

I appreciate the reply.

RF-Burns

Yeah, I'm guessing we were going to take 77 from airport to Cornelius. Is 485 to a state highway any better...?

I will tell only tell you some haha, can't give away all my secrets. 16, 485, 21,& 115. Now a lot of these back up really bad to. So look for some other road near these to take haha. When traffic is at a stand still is doesn't move for hours.

Follow Huntersville Fire on Twitter and Facebook. The PIO does a good job of keeping the page updated with traffic accidents. Meck Firewire, Iredell Firewire, & Charlotte Fire are all good to follow on Facebook and Twitter. The Iredell page does a fantastic job of keeping things updated. They also do Davidson a lot because they run into Iredell quite a bit.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Awesome motorman, thank you.

Now that my scan lists are set up I'll have to start working up some directions. Maybe arriving early am Saturday wont be too bad... ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.