• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MT2000 "S" split down to 440 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Looking to pick up a pair of mint MT2000 UHF "S" splits but I want to check with those of you that got em. Will they work without an issue down to 440 MHz. And if so can they be programmed out of band in RSS using the Shift trick or have you done a hex edit? I've got an HT1000 UHF "S" Split that works great down to 440 MHz and RSS accepts the shift trick for out of band programming!!!

Scott (N4SYR)

jim202

Yes. Same RF board in both radios.

I have an MT2000 radio also in the UHF band. It has some ham repeater channels already in it from another state. When I go to change the channels, it will not let me input anything below 450 MHz. Can someone provide the correct steps I need to take.

Also which is the correct software to use. I have been trying to use the MT2000 software. If this is the correct software, as already stated, do I hold down the shift key while trying to enter the ham frequencies or is there some printed instructions on how to HEX edit the software?

Jim

N4KVE

Yes. Hold down the shift key, but instead of using the number buttons from the right side of the keypad, use the number buttons from the top row on the keypad while holding the shift key.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Gary, the shift key trick doesn't work in MTSX RSS V6.08. You have to hex edit the bandsplit ranges in the MTSX.ODB file.

BatLabs has the instructions on what to change. Once completed, the MTSX RSS will allow entry of the out of bandsplit frequencies. Remember that just because the RSS is changed, doesn't mean the radio will like it. Most "S" split Jedis will go to down to about 438MHz with no issue, but won't play nice below around 435 where the VCO unlocks.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Also which is the correct software to use. I have been trying to use the MT2000 software. If this is the correct software, as already stated, do I hold down the shift key while trying to enter the ham frequencies or is there some printed instructions on how to HEX edit the software?
MT2000 uses MTSX RSS. Last version available was release 6.08 circa 2005.
You will have to hex edit the MTSX.ODB file as instructed here to enter the out of band frequencies.

N4KVE

I remember doing the shift method years ago, but that was in the late 90's, so it would have been done with earlier RSS. I remember it was a hi split radio, & I did not have HT1000 RSS, so it was MTSX RSS. But that was 20 years ago. After that, I would only buy MTS2000's. I still have the MINT full keypad one I bought from you in 1/2010.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Good info Gary & MTS2000des. I looked at the Batlabs website and the string is a bit confusing. Help me out if you will. So under the "Changing band limits in all MTSX RSS versions" heading there's two sets of hex strings. I'm guessing the top string I want is the one showing 403-470. The bottom list is a little confusing. I'm seeing about 3 strings that fall into the 403-470 band. Do I change all 3 as well? I'm going to fire up RSS and confirm what you said MTS2000des (Not that I don't believe you) about the shift trick not working provided I have a codeplug for an "S" split MT2000. Thanks a bunch!!!!!
Scott (N4SYR)

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
So I tried a bunch of different hex edits and I'm not getting it. Batlabs seems to not make sense to me as to how to change an "S" split MT2000 to go down to 440 MHz. It seems as thought the MTSX.ODB has all the bandsplits in it. And the second set of strings are even more confusing.They all list 403-470 on the UHF frequencies and no 450-512 so I left them alone. Clearly I'm missing something.

Last edited:

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
So I've heard from an online source that the trick is in the hex files to change the respective areas that show 450.0000 to 430.0000 and that's supposed to work. Haven't tried it yet but will first chance I get and report back!!!! (For those that care by the way)

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
So it works!!!! Look on Bat Labs for MTSX/MT2000 and in the section were you change the hex values there's two sets of strings. In the first is the bands and where it says 450 - 520 MHz change the 450 to 430. The second set do the same change all the 450's to 430's. FYI the text string for the 5 in 450 is 35. Change the 35 to 33 and it'll change the number to 430. Good Luck

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So it works!!!! Look on Bat Labs for MTSX/MT2000 and in the section were you change the hex values there's two sets of strings. In the first is the bands and where it says 450 - 520 MHz change the 450 to 430. The second set do the same change all the 450's to 430's. FYI the text string for the 5 in 450 is 35. Change the 35 to 33 and it'll change the number to 430. Good Luck

For the price of a used MTS2000, way less hassle to buy a R split and have the ability to use CPS rather than RSS, and you will have a radio that will cover the ham band and 450-470 with out compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim202

Gary, the shift key trick doesn't work in MTSX RSS V6.08. You have to hex edit the bandsplit ranges in the MTSX.ODB file.

BatLabs has the instructions on what to change. Once completed, the MTSX RSS will allow entry of the out of bandsplit frequencies. Remember that just because the RSS is changed, doesn't mean the radio will like it. Most "S" split Jedis will go to down to about 438MHz with no issue, but won't play nice below around 435 where the VCO unlocks.

Thanks for the feedback and info. That was what I was looking for and just could never find it. When I get off work tonight, I will pull up the software again and try my hand at the hex edit for the band splits.

Jim

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
For the price of a used MTS2000, way less hassle to buy a R split and have the ability to use CPS rather than RSS, and you will have a radio that will cover the ham band and 450-470 with out compromise.
True, but remember that MTS2000's have varying flashcodes, and unless it's been "whored out", even things like MDC1200 signaling were an option (H35 IIRC). An MT2000 has everything out of the box (though I've never gotten MDC decode with ID display to work despite MTSX RSS allowing you to add MDC call lists, enable Caller ID, etc). And you'll never get a toolproof error on an MT2000...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
True, but remember that MTS2000's have varying flashcodes, and unless it's been "whored out", even things like MDC1200 signaling were an option (H35 IIRC). An MT2000 has everything out of the box (though I've never gotten MDC decode with ID display to work despite MTSX RSS allowing you to add MDC call lists, enable Caller ID, etc). And you'll never get a toolproof error on an MT2000...

All good points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

The OP, & I live in the same town. Nice guy. I called him on the phone to give him the same advice. While ERIC gave good advice about the MT2000 having features as standard that some MTS radios may not, the OP doesn’t own any Jedi’s yet. He simply saw some clean HI split MT2000’s on E-Bay he was considering buying. He wanted to experiment to see if he could get these particular radios to work at 440 before buying them. So to get the best of both worlds, he should buy low split MT2000’s, as he told me he has no need for a radio that works above 470 MHz.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
He wanted to experiment to see if he could get these particular radios to work at 440 before buying them. So to get the best of both worlds, he should buy low split MT2000’s, as he told me he has no need for a radio that works above 470 MHz.
I have a pair of MTS2000 "R" splits, an M3 and an M2. The M2 has H35.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I actually have a bunch of Jedi Series Radios. Just look at my QRZ.com page and punch in my call sign N4SYR and I’ve listed all my gear. I like to have at least 1 each of each model for the VHF band and UHF band. As you can see on my list I have a VHF MT2000 but no UHF. My next focus is getting some P25 gear as we have several P25 VHF repeaters in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.