Hurricane Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
I heard from Bravo. His place was hit hard but he’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
My area got hit pretty bad. The eye wall was not very far from me. We caught the west of the eye and rode out the storm in my apartment and needless to say heard alot of stuff crashing. I left this afternoon and now near Jax area going south til who knows when. The complex I lived in some buildings lost alot of roofs and side walls and lots of crazy stuff.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Bravo,
Based on your experience would you ride it out again? TT

I don't think so. I got lucky with the car not getting to hard like others in the complex either they smashed in or have stuff in the windshields.I'm not sure if I'll go back there.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
CBP has a P-3 orbiting off the coast most likely providing ATC in the affected areas and comms capabilities between rescue and other responding assets.

Check the following for comms

350.025 Blue-3 UHF CBP primary
136.375 CBP VHF Primary
168.8375 293 NAC Air 1
168.9625 293 NAC Air 2
169.2625 293 NAC Air 3
169.1625 293 NAC Air 4
169.3875 293 NAC Air 5
163.4500 293 NAC Air 6
166.8875 293 NAC Air 7
166.7875 293 NAC Air 8
163.4750 293 NAC Air 9

All these were active from CBP P-3 assets during Harvey in the houston area.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Look up Brett adairs video from Mexico beach

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
This video brings back memories and nightmares. I've ridden out hurricanes in a house (3X), an apartment, and sitting in an 18-wheeler at a truckstop (2X). I've been in a house when the roof was peeled back and flapping in the wind like paper. I've been hunkered down in a closet listening to all my windows breaking and things crashing all around me. I rock and rolled in my Freightliner worried that I might tip over as I watched the water rise to the middle of the fuel pumps. Intense moments, to be sure. Never drove around in 100+mph winds tho. That had to be downright scary when they were forced to park with nowhere to go as the surge came in. I was watching that on the edge of my seat, literally. Thank God they were ok. That was a bad one.

My heart goes out to those devastated and displaced by Hurricane Michael. You are in our prayers....

JD & Terri

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any information on the communication situation in the Bay, Gulf, Franklin, and other affected counties? A person who I know that is helping with public safety there tells me they’ve seen several communication trailers like MARC and EDICS. So they’re being used somewhere in that area.

-Dawson Adams
K4DPA / WQPN413

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm in south Florida, and I'm hearing hurricane Michael related communications on the Florida Turnpike's radio system!

453.675 and 453.725, both with a PL of 173.8. Heard Chipley TMC mentioned, as well as "State Road 79", as well as numerous mobile units with talk of trees down and debris blocking various roads.

Seeing as the Turnpike ends in Wildwood, I have no idea how their radio system is being used in the panhandle. Any ideas?

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I'm in south Florida, and I'm hearing hurricane Michael related communications on the Florida Turnpike's radio system!

453.675 and 453.725, both with a PL of 173.8. Heard Chipley TMC mentioned, as well as "State Road 79", as well as numerous mobile units with talk of trees down and debris blocking various roads.

Seeing as the Turnpike ends in Wildwood, I have no idea how their radio system is being used in the panhandle. Any ideas?

That’s the State Farm Safety Patrol system? I see it’s owned by the state and from what the RR database says it’s for backup use. Maybe they have it linked in to other systems like DOT’s low band multicast system.

-Dawson Adams
K4DPA / WQPN413

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
That’s the State Farm Safety Patrol system? I see it’s owned by the state and from what the RR database says it’s for backup use. Maybe they have it linked in to other systems like DOT’s low band multicast system.

-Dawson Adams
K4DPA / WQPN413

Yes; normally the "Road Rangers" use the state SLERS system, and traffic on the old 453 MHz system is almost non existent. I would assume it's linked in some way, but I wonder why they would need to link it to the Turnpike system when it doesn't run near the panhandle.

CanesFan95

What do all the abbreviations stand for? CBP, P-3, ATC, etc.?

CBP has a P-3 orbiting off the coast most likely providing ATC in the affected areas and comms capabilities between rescue and other responding assets.

Check the following for comms

350.025 Blue-3 UHF CBP primary
136.375 CBP VHF Primary
168.8375 293 NAC Air 1
168.9625 293 NAC Air 2
169.2625 293 NAC Air 3
169.1625 293 NAC Air 4
169.3875 293 NAC Air 5
163.4500 293 NAC Air 6
166.8875 293 NAC Air 7
166.7875 293 NAC Air 8
163.4750 293 NAC Air 9

All these were active from CBP P-3 assets during Harvey in the houston area.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gents, let's try and keep this civil.

This back and forth bickering serves no useful purpose.

This is the only warning.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I've back in bay co since thurs evening. I notice the 800 analog system is very staticky and someone told me a tower got hit hard. I have tried Tyndall afb p25 system it appears to wiped out. Slers seems working well and the power south is working well. Thurs evening I was picking up powersouth dmr system on the psr800 good and got 1 new tg. Today I did a search in all bands and got a new system not sure if that is the new bay p25 system I did a test on dsdplus and unitrunker on laptop. Desktop is no longer in use since I only get what I could load in my car. I lost a lot of stuff in my place a tv, stero, desktop, some clothes bed is lost due to water couch hit by mold and water and other items. I did save the sds100 psr800 536hp and tyt380 laptop is good. Pretty much have to start over on stuff. I am back working since work has been generator since last week. I can not stay in my place I'm ilstaying with someone til I can find a decent place. I did ride out it in my place when hell broke loose and the person above me got a hole in the roof and I got the water from that. In my complex a lot of buildings gone from 1st floor to the 2nd floor. Lots of vehicles got lots damage. The complex is tore up I'm sure they will bull doze it. Some apartments got trees in the roof or the whole roof is gone. I was really surprised how many people stayed in the complex. One person was on the 2nd floor and they saw the roof and walls go and they ran down stairs. I will not able to make any videos of radios or personal videos til I get sorted out. Oh yea verizon towers failed during the storm. I didn't had signal til I left town. When I got back no service til like sun.

Last edited:

Glad you made out relatively okay, bravo14.

I'm a few hundred miles southeast of you along the coast. So far, I've been through 3 hurricanes and evacuated for 2. I have the same thoughts going through my mind about riding it out, but we usually end up leaving -- and at least once, got gouged by a hotel. Florida's a big problem, especially if the south part was evacuated first, because anything inland is already taken. Last time we drove thorough Georgia (some counties post state troopers and national guardsmen to keep the "hurricane refugees" out) to South Carolina and stayed with family.

It gets old quickly.

In the meantime, I take all the antennas down, lower the wire HF antennas, tilt over a few verticals, and bring all the outside stuff in before we leave, in addition to our board-up ritual. I'm still blue-tarped and waiting for the insurance company to settle up on roof damage from Matthew. When I really retire, it'll probably be to somewhere boring.

Sucks you're going through this (my mother lost a house "down the shore" in NJ during Sandy thanks to 5 feet of water inside). But glad you are physically okay.

Bay County system got hit pretty hard , but the Motorola Disaster Response Team kicked butt , and got it back to 100% in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.