• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Oldie/Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge47

I am not new to scanning receiving but totally new to Unication. Due to a limited income I have had to buy used scanners from Ebay for decades. I did not know Us existed until this year. My problem is 2fold. I need a scanner that will recv VHF and 850 analog trunked. It seems that the trunked system will go P2 in less than a year.
Recommendations for Uc is needed for vhf analog
850 analog trunking turning P2.
Fancy features I dont need, just a small unit with the above features at the lowest price that I can save up for.
Thanks in advance !! Sarge

ocn29rsc

I've had my G-5 vhf/7/800 version since 6-2017 and at that point my county had just switched to p-25, the state was going that way with in a couple months and yes expensive.

Had a BCD436 with dmr and it worked and at that time was working for an ambulance service who was making out of county transfers like charleston was already p-25 and always had hard time hearing them with my 436 but That G-5 totally different.

You have to play with it and set it up for what works for your needs but well worth the investment.

ocn29rsc
Surfside Beach, SC

radio3353

I am not new to scanning receiving but totally new to Unication. Due to a limited income I have had to buy used scanners from Ebay for decades. I did not know Us existed until this year. My problem is 2fold. I need a scanner that will recv VHF and 850 analog trunked. It seems that the trunked system will go P2 in less than a year.
Recommendations for Uc is needed for vhf analog
850 analog trunking turning P2.
Fancy features I dont need, just a small unit with the above features at the lowest price that I can save up for.
Thanks in advance !! Sarge

If you need a scanner as you said above, why are you considering a Unication? They don't make scanners, just pagers. You will be able to listen to only one system at a time. Will that fulfill your needs? If so, the G5 is a stellar performer especially with simulcast systems.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Keep in mind the G4/G5 do not trunk analog systems. Only P25 Phase 1 and Phase 2.
So if you need an analog trunking device a scanner is your best bet.
How certain are you on the analog system going P25 in less than a year?
Is this a migration using existing licenses or is it a completely new system?

Sarge47

Thanks for the indo. Collin County Texas was supposed to be completed into P2 in June but something has held it up. I do not know the answers to ytou question. Thanks again, Sarge

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Howdy Sarge47, were county neighbors.

Yeah who knows when CC will get that system up and running.

Sarge47

More info please

I must have 850 trunked and VHF to listen to 24/7. VHF is easy but 850 is hard for me to find . RS and Uniden scanners with 850 r easy too but r too big and fragile to carry on my belt. I have learned the hard way that u must be business radio savvy and be ready to lay out a ton of money for special programming ah la Motorola. Unless u meet these quals do not buy the cheap commercial radios off Ebay. The sellers are very savvy on terminology to hekp u buy their rejects.
On the other hand Minitor pagers are a TREEmendous bargain for great scanning receivers for vhf.uhf. Pagers don't git no better and they don"t even have an external antler to bug u !!
If i could just find an affordable 850 scanner that is small and will stand up to everyday belt carry ??
Thanks Yall for the help. Sarge

mule1075

Feed Provider
I must have 850 trunked and VHF to listen to 24/7. VHF is easy but 850 is hard for me to find . RS and Uniden scanners with 850 r easy too but r too big and fragile to carry on my belt. I have learned the hard way that u must be business radio savvy and be ready to lay out a ton of money for special programming ah la Motorola. Unless u meet these quals do not buy the cheap commercial radios off Ebay. The sellers are very savvy on terminology to hekp u buy their rejects.
On the other hand Minitor pagers are a TREEmendous bargain for great scanning receivers for vhf.uhf. Pagers don't git no better and they don"t even have an external antler to bug u !!
If i could just find an affordable 850 scanner that is small and will stand up to everyday belt carry ??
Thanks Yall for the help. Sarge
Uniden 346xt or the 346xtc will do what you want until they go p25 and then when they do look at the 325p2. Not at all big or fragile.

Last edited:

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Sarge47

From what you are saying, I would not recommend a Unication pager. If you need/want to monitor both your VHF and 850 systems at the same time. As has already been stated, the G5 will only monitor one system at a time, but it will do it in a stellar manner. I love my G5 and use it to monitor the system I am currently in (e.g., home I listen to the sheriff, on the road I have different departments programmed and switch to them). I use my 436 to monitor several systems at the same time.

What you may want to do is consider a Uniden or Whistler scanner. I would opt for the Uniden and go with the 436. You can find the 436 on E-Bay for a fairly substantial savings now that Uniden has released their SDS100.

For protection, look at obtaining a ruggedized case for the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.