Chesapeake FD Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVARailFan

I recently got a BCD996P2 and put my local department in. I have been able to hear everything with the exception of company assignments while being dispatched. I will hear the alarm, followed by several seconds of silence and then the rest of the call, and while I can usually piece together the response from district and the call itself combined with pulsepoint, I would like to be able to hear the entire call go out. Any ideas?

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Chesapeake

Most scanners with the exception of the G5 and the SDS 100 have trouble decoding the simulcast system so unfortunately unless you have one of those you will have trouble listen. That's is what my understanding it.

TheVARailFan

The entire dispatch call would be simulcast, correct? I hear everything crystal clear with the exception of company assignments. It is my understanding that I should be hearing something along the lines of "[tones] Engine 4, Medic 4, respond [...]" whereas all I hear is "[tones] *silence* 4 respond [...]"

rogress

If you can hear everything else, it almost sounds like your are missing the dispatch talkgroup in your programming. I'm not sure how you programmed it, but maybe you can check to make sure the dispatch talkgroup is included?

I recently got a BCD996P2 and put my local department in. I have been able to hear everything with the exception of company assignments while being dispatched. I will hear the alarm, followed by several seconds of silence and then the rest of the call, and while I can usually piece together the response from district and the call itself combined with pulsepoint, I would like to be able to hear the entire call go out. Any ideas?

TheVARailFan

The dispatch talkgroup is programmed, and I can hear dispatch, it is simply the company assignments that I can not hear from the dispatcher, almost as if they're going out on a different freq/tgid?

Attachments

• CFD.jpg
    CFD.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 227

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
I live in Chesapeake and that happens to me as well - when the scanner is in the scanning mode. Try holding on the dispatch channel until you get a transmission - and then see if you to hear the entire message, including the assignments.

The Chesapeake dispatcher puts out the 5 tones, then stops transmitting momentarily. If you're in the scanning mode, you'll hear three or four of the five tones. Your scanner then starts to scan again. Then she transmits the message starting with the assignment. By the time your scanner stops on the signal again, you will have missed the assignments but hear the rest of the call.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Larry

mikext

On certain calls you won't hear the units as they mark enroute, on scene and clear via the MDT in the unit.

gosharks

Feed Provider
Unrelated to the OP, but related to Chesapeake FD: During several recent structure fires (gas explosion, and 2 vacant structures over the wknd), it has appeared that E28 and E24 were out of service or unstaffed. Can anyone confirm the status of those units? It seemed to put quite a strain on resources.

What is the staffing arrangement for E15/R15? Sometimes E15 goes unmanned for R15, but other times both units have been staffed simultaneously.

kc4jgc

I live in Chesapeake and that happens to me as well - when the scanner is in the scanning mode. Try holding on the dispatch channel until you get a transmission - and then see if you to hear the entire message, including the assignments.

The Chesapeake dispatcher puts out the 5 tones, then stops transmitting momentarily. If you're in the scanning mode, you'll hear three or four of the five tones. Your scanner then starts to scan again. Then she transmits the message starting with the assignment. By the time your scanner stops on the signal again, you will have missed the assignments but hear the rest of the call.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Larry

VARailFan,
Not looking at your scanner, what Larry said makes sense to me.
What I'd try is to go into your settings and extend the scan DELAY if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.