• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Never hear anyone on 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpaceMann

I for one would like to see it's popularity gain some momentum myself. As a retiree, I would like to be able to sit by my radio with a cup of coffee and chat with some new friends. I am thinking of getting my technicians license but the local HAMs don't seem to care so much for a ragchew these days. I got that information from a local Amateur club member recently. Even the ones I catch on my HT are only on in the mornings for just a little while. CB would be a whole lot more fun for me as I see it. No so formal. I do have SSB capabilities too.
Have you tried the smartphone app. "Online Walkie Talkie Pro"?

graywoulf

Have you tried the smartphone app. "Online Walkie Talkie Pro"?

Yes, I did try it for about ten minutes and I uninstalled it as I could not find a decent conversation to get involved with. A lot of the "channels" were showing as active but there was no one there. I looked at several others like it as well and found pretty much the same thing. It is a good concept but it just seemed to have a lot of junk going on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ravenkeeper

Yes, I did try it for about ten minutes and I uninstalled it as I could not find a decent conversation to get involved with. A lot of the "channels" were showing as active but there was no one there. I looked at several others like it as well and found pretty much the same thing. It is a good concept but it just seemed to have a lot of junk going on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm on there some times, CH19 ("LOCAL"), "Desert Raven." If I don't answer, it's probably because I had to go take a walk around my work, still recovering from a broken foot, or I'm in the bathroom, or I'm out delivering parts to the aircraft. If it's a slow night, I'm on it, or if one of my best friends text me early on in the day to meet up on it. I can't carry my phone on me outside of the office, especially use my phone inside the fence-line.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You've got to remember that CB is traditionally a short range radio service. While atmospheric conditions can greatly impact range, and those running much greater than legal power can get pretty far too, most of the users are only going to get a few miles at best.

Since the "average" user slaps in a cheap antenna that is rarely resonate, doesn't understand what a ground plane is, can't even spell SWR, and likely prefers "low profile" antennas, you really are looking at a few miles at the best.

Expecting to hear a lot of traffic on 1/40th of the channels at any given point in time in any given location is unrealistic.

I've driven all over the western US, and usually don't hear much traffic.

On major interstates in big cities, I've heard a bit of traffic. Usually truckers talking briefly. Occasional longer conversations.
Out in the middle of Colorado, I had a brief conversation with a couple in a moving truck for a few minutes, then range became an issue.
Sporadically, out of the blue, I've passed through areas where there's a lot of very localized traffic.
When the atmospheric conditions are right, I've heard traffic from all over.

Truth is, unless I was on my own, I kept the CB off. My wife and young son didn't need to hear some of the traffic on there. Just not appropriate for many people.
When "skip" is running, sometimes it just gets way too annoying to put up with. I can only stand to listen to some guy with crappy audio repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over…..

CB is great if you are in need of a short range radio service and have someone specific to talk to.
It can be slightly more useful if you are willing to run more than the legal power.

Random contacts are bound by the limitations of the band, power and antenna, as well as the location, band conditions and wether or not someone else has their radio on.
As a tool for random/hobby type contacts, it's really dependent on the activity in your area.

What I've seen far too often is users will buy a fancy $150.00 radio, but then spend a whole $20.00 on a cheap magnetic mount antenna and expect it all to work like a $150 setup. People under estimate the importance of the antenna set up.

graywoulf

Well I reinstalled it and the first thing that popped up was a bunch of idiots bickering and cussing up a storm. I hit the scan button and the next channel was the same. The last channel that was occupied was two guys picking a fight with each other over a girl. Sorry, but I don't see any entertainment value with those apps. I had rather turn down the squelch and scan 40 channels of static. Again, I uninstalled the app and I won't be looking for any others like it. I'm glad it works for you though.

graywoulf

@mmckenna, yeah, you pretty much summed it up as it is today. At least I know that there are a few CB'ers in my area. I just have to figure out what their time slot is so I can see if I can join in.

TheSpaceMann

I'm on there some times, CH19 ("LOCAL"), "Desert Raven." If I don't answer, it's probably because I had to go take a walk around my work, still recovering from a broken foot, or I'm in the bathroom, or I'm out delivering parts to the aircraft. If it's a slow night, I'm on it, or if one of my best friends text me early on in the day to meet up on it. I can't carry my phone on me outside of the office, especially use my phone inside the fence-line.
I occasionally copy the mail on 19 in the evenings! ;)

kbroderick

Well I reinstalled it and the first thing that popped up was a bunch of idiots bickering and cussing up a storm. I hit the scan button and the next channel was the same. The last channel that was occupied was two guys picking a fight with each other over a girl. Sorry, but I don't see any entertainment value with those apps. I had rather turn down the squelch and scan 40 channels of static. Again, I uninstalled the app and I won't be looking for any others like it. I'm glad it works for you though.

So it's like driving by a large truck stop with the CB on after most of the truckers have pulled in for the night?

graywoulf

So it's like driving by a large truck stop with the CB on after most of the truckers have pulled in for the night?
Actually, the truckers would not be as foul mouthed as what I heard. I'm not a prude by any means but the conversations that I briefly listened to were off the scale with the language. The thing that amazed me most was that these morons have nothing better to do with their time. Now for those who have posted about the app here that use it in a sane manner, I can see the app's usefulness in that manner and if that was how it really was being used ALL of the time, then I would use it and even pay the monthly service fee of $5.99 but in my personal opinion, even the free version is not worth it's price.

FiveFilter

I've never been disappointed by CB because I'm not into it for the social / entertainment aspects. I've got more than enough outlets for that, as do most people nowadays: cell phones, satellite radios and TV, etc., and especially including right here on the Internet such as with this fine discussion forum.

Instead, I use CB radio strictly for the utilitarian aspect of receiving and giving information to and from other drivers on the highway in regards to things that can make the trip safer and quicker for everyone listening and talking on the channel: accidents, poor road conditions, bad weather, obstruction in the road, etc.

Numerous times in my travels I've been able to avoid traffic hold-ups and take alternate routes because of reports about problems up ahead, and I've returned the favor to other drivers in the same manner.

Because my wife doesn't want to hear the CB stuff when she's with me, which I can fully understand, I use a simple ear bud in one ear instead of a speaker in the cabin. With this little device plugged into the radio's 3.5mm external speaker port, I've learned to variously have the bud inserted into the ear canal when there's something important to hear, or to pull it part way out and rest it on the outside of my ear to monitor possible important information or reduce the effects of momentary loud RF interference, or to put it on my shoulder or in my lap when there is a lot of continuous interference that's too loud and irritating to tolerate, which includes not listening to the morons who want to dominate the band in some areas. By doing this, I have greatly reduced the need to manipulate the various controls on the radio including volume, squelch, and RF gain.

No, the CB is not my source of entertainment; it's my source of getting and giving road information that no other device can deliver right to me in real time at the spot where the action is happening and where it's most important for me to know.

graywoulf

I too used to travel a bit and I did have my Realistic TRC-465 radio in my vehicle for the same purposes. Since I do not travel as much I removed the radio and antenna and now have the radio in my "Man Cave" where I usually daily scan all 40 channels to see if there is any activity which is sparse. I don't have a good base antenna and I am using some of my late father in law's trucker equipment such as a 4 foot "Firestik" antenna which I mounted on a 15 foot pole outside. At least its not a magnetic CB antenna as was mentioned earlier. I cannot see putting any more money into the hobby at this point as I do not plan on installing a five element beam antenna and linear just to talk skip. It is what it is at the moment but I will play with the radios I have just for the fun of it for the time being.

K7MFC

WRAA720
CB is pretty popular here in Arizona with Jeep and and off road guys (ch 4 and 16 in particular) and I will hear the occasional chatter while out on the dirt roads. I also see a handful of Jeeps and trucks every day on the highway running a CB antenna. However, it's pretty much limited to group runs where short range communications are all that is needed. As others have mentioned, the combination of cheap radios, improperly installed "low profile" antennas, and the terrain keeps the traffic pretty localized. I keep a Midland 75-822 and a Wilson Lil Wil mag mount in my truck should I ever need it, but rarely ever actually use it.

TheSpaceMann

The CB Radio will be great when the power grid goes down. SHTF. But anyways. Truckers still use the CB Radio a lot around my area.
You can also find a good deal of activity around retirement communities. It helps some older people with lower levels of mobility to socialize.

sprite1741

Cb has been busy after dark with skip for the last 2 weeks. Last week Texas and Oklahoma, this week the west coast and Canada. Never say never. Quiet during the day and after dark 38lsb has been going till after 10pm. Weird propagation anyone know what causes it?. Last night was fun and well behaved. Lot off good stations on from Washington and BC. Didn't bother with AM so don't know about 19. SSB is the place to be anyway if you want to talk.

"Skip"

Cb has been busy after dark with skip for the last 2 weeks. Last week Texas and Oklahoma, this week the west coast and Canada. Never say never. Quiet during the day and after dark 38lsb has been going till after 10pm. Weird propagation anyone know what causes it?. .

Depends where you are located. Which State are you in?

It's all about the Sun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_propagation

Idiot's guide to shooting skip - CB radio 11 Meters Skip Conditions

sprite1741

Idaho and I was wrong about quiet in daytime, the band is open to Arizona this morning. Space weather doesn't show anything special. Not hearing any AM just 38lsb. I have been scanning all 40 but these signals are weak and under my squelch so i was leaving it on 38lsb un-squelched and sure enough signals are coming through. They hear me too. Stock BC980 on a ground plane.

TheSpaceMann

Idaho and I was wrong about quiet in daytime, the band is open to Arizona this morning. Space weather doesn't show anything special. Not hearing any AM just 38lsb. I have been scanning all 40 but these signals are weak and under my squelch so i was leaving it on 38lsb un-squelched and sure enough signals are coming through. They hear me too. Stock BC980 on a ground plane.
Band has been open a lot lately. Keep an eye on QSO/SWL real time maps and lists By the way, interest must be up, because I was surprised to see that so many people have now joined the Facebook CB forums.

zeitgeist999

I only live a couple of miles away from a main highway but I never hear anyone using Channel 19, my radio, coax, and antenna are all good so reception is not a issue. Is 19 just not used anymore?
Obtain a time machine off of Ebay. Set it to 1976, and your radio will spring to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.