• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 to G5 - Learning Curve? Profile imports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

First of all love my Unication G4.
Just tried a new SDS100 with latest firmware and it couldn't even come close to SIMULCAST Phase 1.

Thinking about upgrading to Unication G5.
Seems Texas DPS uses 154-160Mhz. P25 statewide.

How hard of a learning curve is it to upgrade to G5.
I know it uses PPS but sure more options open up with the G5 - is there much learning curve?

Can I export and then import my existing profile from my G4.
If I keep my G4 can I use 1 pps installed to do a profile to each radio (1 profile for G5 / 1 profile for G4).

SCMajorInci

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon,

There isnt really a learning curve at all between the G4 or 5. The big difference is the dual banding on the G5. You can import your current codeplug to a G5 and it will make the swap for you. You can have multiple devices on the same PPS. You will just select the profile you want to use in PPS and make your changes, then program.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Thanks....figured it was a bit different programming wise.
But figure the 700/800 Phase 1/2 is same as G4 thought right?

KB3DCG

Premium Subscriber
OK, I think I need a little guidance.

I took the profile from my G4, and tried to put it into a G5 I am trying to program. That worked, with the exception of when I tried to edit it and add a system that is on 500MHz, I got an error that the frequency was out of range.

It seems that the G5 now thinks it is a G4. What am I missing?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
You need to create a new profile for the G5 that matches your model number. Shoot that into the G5 to recover the UHF band your missing.
Then you will want to import your G4 profile into the G5. I made a similar mistake when i got my hands on a G5 as well.
Dont just program it, you need to do an import. At least i think it was an import. Ill try to recreate my steps tomorrow.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
In the PPS go to C,C2 highlight your file then choose convert new model at the bottom of the page. In the drop down menu choose the UHFD model number. G5B67BF-SUXDEN

KB3DCG

Premium Subscriber
AWESOME! Thanks for the help.

I was smart enough to save the profile before I did anything to the G5, so I knew I could go back to that.

I wasn't looking forward to keying all of those systems back in.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.