Yonkers Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

Like what the others have said for a city that claims to be broke, they always seem to have the funding for radios and upgrades. I honestly think the community should voice their opinion against encryption and not be that guy but Yonkers police doesn't really have the best reputation out there. This will only make the community feel a gap between the police and the general public. Also they often call for mutual aid when it comes to water rescues and heavy jobs. I wonder how their rapport with other agencies will go once they go dark.

As for Yonkers FD, I monitored today and heard them loud and clear on UHF. They aren't really active so I guess the times I monitored before were slow times.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
YPD was never VSELP. When they went digital in 99-2000 it was IMBE. All new APX radios going encrypted in the near future.

Having worked there on their radios the first digital system they had was VSELP, and that was in 1994 or 1995 they came in Astro Sabers with the large batteries. The cops hated them as the radio was nearly as long as their nightsticks.

Sorry to hear they are going "E", but at least I don't live anywhere near there anymore or travel there except to the train station. It never fails to amaze me that PD's think going "E" is going to fix all their problems. It won't fix poor radio or police tactics and gives a false sense of security.

One comment I remember from the 90's from a street sergeant was that the locals as they were called knew ahead of time when they were going to show up in the hi-rise projects. Well you don't need a scanner to do that and the call "5/0" will still ring out throughout the buildings, and "E" won't fix that. With today's social media, the locals will know way before they show up.

So much for interop with other agencies.

dpfd144

Premium Subscriber
It looks like Yonkers PD dispatch changed to a different frequency last week (453.9250, instead of 453.4750).

Does anyone know if this is a permanent change?

trauma74

I think that for some reason, Yonkers Fire lowered the output on their low band channel. When I was working and living in Yonkers a few years ago, the coverage did not seem as good as in the past.

Does anyone know what Empress Ambulance is using for their radio system? When I worked there back in 2012 they were still using their crappy UHF radio system that hardly worked anywhere in the City. We also used Verizon PTT phones which sucked really bad. Verizon PTT was absolutely HORRIBLE. 2 cans with a string attached would probably work much better.

I know that they were looking at a Passport or Connect Plus system, but I do not know if they ever went in that direction

Archie

Not sure when, but YPD is eventually installing a new radio system with ADP encryption. The Board of Contract and Supply approved the contract with Motorola in late 2014. Guessing it was postponed this long due to our perpetual budget problems

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Empress is on same system, pd doing major upgrades and moving to all new equipment

One channel at time for pd

Archie

Thendick
When will the new YPD system be fully completed ??
MOS had told me they were only buying new portables
and the rest of the new system was put on hold.
Many Thanks

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Thendick
When will the new YPD system be fully completed ??
MOS had told me they were only buying new portables
and the rest of the new system was put on hold.
Many Thanks

Not sure when it will be completed. But pretty much an entire new system for portables to mobiles and infrastructure

4-crime

Listening to PD channel 1 (453.4750) right now and it seems they have flipped the switch to encryption, at least somewhat. I am not hearing units in the field in the clear, only dispatch.

Anyone have any further?

Archie

Reply to 4Crime

Yes, they switched to ADP encryption and dispatch will also be using it within a few weeks or so...entire system will then be 100% in the dark...seems like every PD upgrading nowadays is going encrypted, many, many, thanks to all the streaming services for enabling this...

stantech

Premium Subscriber
Don't know if this holds true anymore, but back when I serviced the system, F-1 was Dispatch F-2 was backup or DMV, F-3 was Detectives, and was very seldom used.

Radioman 2001: Yonkers PD recently went to E mode (encryptioned except occasional detective ch chatter) on almost all communications. I do have a Motorola XTS-2500 full keypad with all bells & whistles. As I'm disabled I listen to Public Service communications to make time more tolerable. You being a past Motorola tech is there a way I can resume my normal listening as I've done for as much time as I can remember. YPD seemingly endlessly upgrades their system as I've had to purchase an APCO-25 scanner when they became available. I also have a Uniden BCD396XT and I'm a licensed ham (N2ZNQ). Appreciate any help on this. All the best & stay well sir.

stantech

Premium Subscriber
Hey Danny37. I hear very little sporadic standard un-encrypted P-25 activity on ch-3 (Detective Channel) which I find disturbing as covert stuff should be private. It's ch-1 the every day busy mundane dispatch channel that is 100% encrypted. Yonkers was never transparent & always had a reputation of crooked political administration. What is it that standard dispatching is trying to hide ???
All the best & stay well !!!

stantech

Premium Subscriber
YPD radios ???

It's funny Danny I have two Motorolas (XTS3000 & XTS2500) & a Uniden BCD396XT scanner tuned tuned to all three YPD channels. Now I rec'd some standard unencrypted communication of a squad car assisting the Yonkers Fire Dept. Not all YPD transmissions are encrypted which now makes it an even bigger mystery. It is Yonkers so nothing should be surprising anymore. Take care !!!

stantech

Premium Subscriber
Radioman 2001 I appreciate the history lesson on Yonkers PD radio. My 1st scanner was a 4 ch Realistic that used crystals with dip switches that had to be set for VHF low/VHF high/UHF. Now that YPD has gone "private" with their radios my Motorola XTS 3000 & XTS FFP 2500 radios & Uniden BCD 396XT scanner are pretty much useless. Being disabled & somewhat physically limited I used to listen to (& still do but sadly no more YPD chatter) PD & Fire chatter to make time pass more tolerable. I'm also a licensed HAM (N2ZNQ) but my rooftop antenna base collapsed & I'm now restricted to HT's until I get competent help not afraid of heights to help repair it. All the best stay well sir !!!

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Yonkers is 100% encrypted, if there is clear transmissions, then there is an issue with the radio.

There is no mystery and remember covert stuff can be done in many different ways.

stantech

Premium Subscriber
tbendick. I'd say Yonkers PD is about 99% encrypted. Last night there was a fire nearby & I was able to hear PD communications on P-25 YPD ch-1 clear as a bell when they were assisting YFD. It's the regular day to day dispatch I can't hear. I have a pair of Standard Horizon VHF radios that can go into voice encryption mode but YPD mode is different. It seems that when dispatch transmits I can hear the first syllable but then it all drops off quiet. I have an XTS-2500 that does it all but don't have clear directions with my current software so it's difficult at best to make it do what I want it to do. YPD uses the same radio without the full panel option. It's just recently maybe a month or so that YPD communications went "private".Anyhow I appreciate your reply. All the best & stay well sir !!!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yonkers PD recently went to E mode (encryptioned except occasional detective ch chatter) on almost all communications. I do have a Motorola XTS-2500 full keypad with all bells & whistles.You being a past Motorola tech is there a way I can resume my normal listening as I've done for as much time as I can remember.

I have an XTS-2500 that does it all but don't have clear directions with my current software so it's difficult at best to make it do what I want it to do.

If you're asking if there is anything you can do with your XTS (or any other radio for that matter) to be able to hear Yonkers when they're using encryption, the answer is flat out no.

Status
Not open for further replies.