Southern California Edison

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma371

QRT
Hello folks. SCE is obviously a fairly large system, but the DB doesn't have much confirmation on quite a few of the sites in Los Angeles County.

Most of these site don't even appear to have any FCC licenses associated with them so unable to confirm if they are even still online. If those in the area wouldn't mind taking a listen in the 935-940MHz range for some of these sites to provide more information, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7996

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Dakin Peak on Catalina is now logged incorrectly.

The primary CC is 936.925, alternate 936.900, and voice freq 936.5125 (as before).

I just confirmed that since I am in Avalon. Monitored that site just fine today. KMA371, would you like me to make an official DB submission?

kma371

QRT
Dakin Peak on Catalina is now logged incorrectly.

The primary CC is 936.925, alternate 936.900, and voice freq 936.5125 (as before).

I just confirmed that since I am in Avalon. Monitored that site just fine today. KMA371, would you like me to make an official DB submission?

Fixed it. Typo on my end.

The DB uses A for alternate and D for control channel, but procom uses C for control channel and D for data :)

All these years and I always mix them up.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Noted a new talkgroup today. 12001

12127 2f5f D OPS 29 District 29 - Santa Ana. On one transmission these two talkgroups looks like they were tied together during the conversation.

Last edited:

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if anyone knows which of the many Southern California Edison P25 sites decently covers the Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee areas in Riverside County?

Thanks!

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
As a listener of Edison, all sites seem to cover system wide. I can hear calls in Santa Barbara from my site in Orange County.
Find a strong site for your area and you should be able to listen to what you want.
How I found the site I listen to is Edison was doing some work in my neighborhood I searched the input frequencies with little to no antenna on the radio. It didn't take long to find the frequency, a quick search of the RR database told me what site they used in my area.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the winds are starting to pick up now. What are some good SCE talkgroups to monitor for activity in the Placentia/Yorba Linda area of Orange County? Do ground crews use any non-trunked channels when working line-of-sight with each other (ex. At a downed pole replacement)?

Thanks in advance!

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
This is what I have for Orange county.
12133 Fullerton Field Reps.
12131 Fullerton Op's
12139 Huntington Beach Area
12533 OC A Linesmen
12537 OC B Linesmen
12543 OC C Linesmen
12545 OC D Linesmen
12127 Santa Ana Op's
12129 Santa Ana Field Rep's

The day to day stuff are on the Op's channels, service calls and things like that
The linesmen channels are more for construction of new powerlines, major outages, brush fire coordination.
Field Reps are for the managers and admin. type of people.
Frankly I listen to them all.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
12131 Fullerton Op's
12533 OC A Linesmen
12537 OC B Linesmen
12543 OC C Linesmen
12545 OC D Linesmen
12127 Santa Ana Op's

The day to day stuff are on the Op's channels, service calls and things like that
The linesmen channels are more for construction of new powerlines, major outages, brush fire coordination.

The "OC A Linesmen" to "OC D Linesmen" talkgroups you mention are actually "Substation" talkgroups. This is how the talkgroups you are calling "Linesmen" are grouped in the database. SCE doesn't call them "linesmen" as far as I know. Their large trucks have "Troubleman (fill in name " painted in small letters on each side. The substations are control centers that can monitor the status of circuits and control the major switches on the multiple circuits within the substation's area. The troublemen ask for switches to be turned on or off for repairs and maintenance. They also turn on and off switches located at smaller transformers and on poles. They can sometimes reroute power to other circuits to further localize the outages. The procedure is high orchestrated and documented so keep employees safe from touching an energized component. The troubleman will call out the series of switches and transformers they have changed to de energize and later energize specific portions of a circuit. Circuits cover several square miles. The control station operator will then read what the troubleman has done back to that person. I think control operators have a computer display that shows the effects of the actions taken by the troubleman and verifies that the portion of the circuit the troubleman is working on is de energized and then verifies the re energizing does not leave a customer without power. For the listener, it sounds very complicated and I think it is, that is why computers are used to track the effects of their actions.

The troublemen use the ops talkgroups when communicating with the "DOCS," which are the "Distribution Operations Centers." There are 4 of those in the SCE system. Northern in Ventura, Eastern in Mira Loma, Western in Dominguez Hills and Southern in Santa Ana. Traffic on the ops talkgroups carries patrol traffic, traffic about specific orders to be handled (calls from customers about service troubles) and reported outages. Once the troublemen are on scene of a problem they report back the situation to the DOC with what it is going to take to solve the problems. Once they prepare to make repairs to the line, they contact the appropriate substation to begin de energizing the power lines, transformers and other components they need to work on. Once the work is finished they return to the ops talkgroups to inform the DOC what actions have been taken, such as "a broken cross arm at pole 452871E repaired, service restored at caller's residence." That or they indicate if additional work is needed, with additional resources and the time schedule for the additional work. They then indicate what call they are going to next or that they are returning to patrol.

From what I can pick up the troublemen that work on scheduled calls and maintenance have identifiers that begin with the SCE two character district number, followed by two digits that ID the individual or the truck they are driving . These people are the Monday-Friday people on day shifts. Others have numbers that begin with a "99," "93" or other 9? four number series. These are the troubleman that patrol and can respond to unscheduled problems. They work hours outside the MF 8-5 period. I think some work evening shifts and possibly graveyard shifts. I think they might cover more than one district. If an outage or other immediate problem occurs district troublemen can be called out after hours to make repairs since the one 9000 series troubleman can't make a lot of repairs by themselves.

The terminology used by electrical utilities is complex. I don't remember where I found it, but I have a glossary of electric utility terms that helps me understand part of what I'm hearing. It is a 28 page document chosen from several hits on a Google search. I think it was Arizona Public Service (large utility in AZ) that wrote it.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
This is great information, thank you.
I used the term linesmen because I think I found this term years ago for these talkgroups. More than ten years ago I would guess.
I have heard the troublemen doing as you have described working on restoring areas after power outages, nice to know the real usage of the channels.
Edison is an overlooked radio system most don't feel is a source of information. You might want to submit some updated corrections to an administrator so the RR database can be updated.
Again, thank you for clarifying.
Randy

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
12131 Fullerton Op's
12533 OC A Linesmen
12537 OC B Linesmen
12543 OC C Linesmen
12545 OC D Linesmen
12127 Santa Ana Op's

The "12139 Huntington Beach Area" talkgroup is a district operations talkgroup. Field reps are not managers and admin, they are the people who interact with the public in the field. They respond to calls about service hookups, discontinued hookups, shutoffs for non payment and account establishment. Troublemen don't make planned public contacts. I rarely hear traffic on Field Representative talkgroups and have never heard traffic on my local district field rep talkgroup. Admin has other talkgroups that are system wide. These are listed under "SPC Talkgroups" each of which are designated by colors. At some point I will submit information about the function of each of these talkgroups if I can find the notes I have on the subject.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
This is great information, thank you.
I used the term linesmen because I think I found this term years ago for these talkgroups. More than ten years ago I would guess.
I have heard the troublemen doing as you have described working on restoring areas after power outages, nice to know the real usage of the channels.
Edison is an overlooked radio system most don't feel is a source of information. You might want to submit some updated corrections to an administrator so the RR database can be updated.
Again, thank you for clarifying.
Randy

Yes, utility company systems and state DOT systems are important to listen to, especially in snow country. I've lived in remote locations in snow country in 4 states during my life. These systems provide a lot of information about storm conditions, road conditions, power outages and the progress of power grid repairs. I bought a Uniden BCD325P2 specifically to listen to SCE after not hearing them ever since they switched to a Phase II system. I just bought it in November. I really missed listening to them, especially during times when our power was out at home. You hear about what the specific problem is and estimates of when the power will be restored. Very valuable info, in my opinion. Many people don't see it that way, they tend to listen to law enforcement only and often this is purely entertainment for them. I listen to a scanner for the utility of it, information that I like to know about because it affects me and my plans. In rural areas much of what I hear does affect me and we don't have 24 hours news stations to report on incidents, so the scanner makes up for much of that gap.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
It's nice talking to someone more informed than I am on this topic.
I also got a phase II scanner partially for Edison as I had been listening to them since the 80's on VHF. I just bought an SDS100 and one the first systems I put into it was Edison.
I was once told in another forum post that I was wasting my time and that police & fire is where you get the information.
Now if the gas company would drop encryption, but that's another topic of discussion for another time.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Several new TGs and a few site updates were received and made to the Db last few weeks.

In addition following TGs were noted but no ID on users.

Status
Not open for further replies.