• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng UV-5R-3 not comunicating with Chirp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointer111

Tom nd5y - thanks, I actually did have the daily build installed, mistakenly called it "last stable".

John KD8DVR, thank you very much, your tip was the silver bullet! I had not even thought to look for MTC, since the radio is clearly labeled Baofeng. But I looked as you said, and there it was. Download from radio worked perfectly on the first try. After several days of trying to figure it out, and getting no reply (so far) on where to find the UV_5R_P3 software, was almost ready to spend the $50 at RTS. For the savings, would buy you a beer if I could! :) Again, many thanks. 73 de KV7I Dave

KD8DVR

Tom nd5y - thanks, I actually did have the daily build installed, mistakenly called it "last stable".

John KD8DVR, thank you very much, your tip was the silver bullet! I had not even thought to look for MTC, since the radio is clearly labeled Baofeng. But I looked as you said, and there it was. Download from radio worked perfectly on the first try. After several days of trying to figure it out, and getting no reply (so far) on where to find the UV_5R_P3 software, was almost ready to spend the $50 at RTS. For the savings, would buy you a beer if I could! :) Again, many thanks. 73 de KV7I Dave

I don't know why they went with "MTC". Perhaps, it is an MTC-exclusive radio, I don't know. This is a rather common question.... the radio is easily missed. I use the BTECH UV-5X3, which while more expensive, has several more features. Either way, they are a less costly entry into 220 capability.

WB9JNZ

Baofeng uv 5R-3 programing problem

I have the MTC Baofeng UV 5R-3 and just tried to program it with the MTC UV UR-3 in the setting for the radio. I only get an error message and it will not read from the radio. It will read vhf and uhf with it set to Baofeng uv 5r, but will not load or recognize 220. I see that the latest daily build for Chirp is Oct. 18, 2018. Is there a later version yet? It seems that the Oct. 18th build does not work. I see some previous postings that the problem programing the Baofeng uv 5R-3 was solved. Could someone help me understand how people are programing the radio or has the latest version not been released yet?

Thanks

kd2hcu

I have the MTC Baofeng UV 5R-3 and just tried to program it with the MTC UV UR-3 in the setting for the radio. I only get an error message and it will not read from the radio. It will read vhf and uhf with it set to Baofeng uv 5r, but will not load or recognize 220. I see that the latest daily build for Chirp is Oct. 18, 2018. Is there a later version yet? It seems that the Oct. 18th build does not work. I see some previous postings that the problem programing the Baofeng uv 5R-3 was solved. Could someone help me understand how people are programing the radio or has the latest version not been released yet?

Thanks

I just tried to program the uv-5rx3 with chirp. It partially worked using uv-5r but won't do the 220-225 band, says its out of range. Seems like I get a lot of radio won't respond messages when trying to hook it up.

KD8DVR

I just tried to program the uv-5rx3 with chirp. It partially worked using uv-5r but won't do the 220-225 band, says its out of range. Seems like I get a lot of radio won't respond messages when trying to hook it up.

The UV-5RX3 is a Radioddity radio. Look under "Radioddity" and you will see your model there.

aircatheavy

I have several UV-5R models. But I've had them all for about 4 or 5 years now.
Just downloaded CHIRP today (Jan 13, 2019) and it worked with mine.

Note: it did now work with my existing PL3203 driver. I had to remove and re-install the latest PL3202 driver.

N3XHS

Note: it did now work with my existing PL3203 driver. I had to remove and re-install the latest PL3202 driver.

I have one and I used the radioditty uv5rx3 radio to program mine and it works great

DylanMadigan

I have had issues with several Baofeng/Retevis radios communicating. Its always either been the drivers or the plug to the radio.

Make sure when you plug in the USB/serial adapter cable, you see a Com port show up in device manager. I think this was one of the adapters where i had to install backdated prolific drivers but i cant quite remember (sorry). You should see a com port show up and not a new USB with an error flag.

The other issue has been that the connectors don't always fit right. The included cable works for all but two of my radios. I got a cable one day with multiple plugs (for various brands) that didn't work with my radios at first, come to find out it actually works fine with the two radios that the included cable does not work with.

N3XHS

For the boating uv5rthreebander you use the newest chirp program to program it and the radio program you use is the radioditty uv5rx3 to program the radio

ve4ua

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a UV5RIII, according to bottom of radio, so a UV5R-3....My CHIRP did not work either for the 220 frequencies, so I emailed my seller, who sent me software. I will be trying that out tonight, as I had to figure out how to change it from Chinese to English first......

Status
Not open for further replies.