Motorola wins new slers contract!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Reading the article that this will be a Astro25 system, is it going to be a P25 Phase II system. even when the first Statewide system came online for Florida it never really worked and it was horrible. my guess is it was never built right. hopefully the new system will be better.

The first generation SLERS that was Motorola was never completed state-wide. State Department of Management Services (DMS) dragged their feet with regards to the site development (tower construction, shelter and generator purchase & placement, etc.). ALL Motorola was responsible for was to bring in the RF equipment, plug it in, and optimize it when the site was completed. Also DMS did ALL of the RF engineering and site selection back in the 90's.

It anyone is to blame on the delays of the official first SLERS roll-out, that was the SmartZone 3600 baud with Omni-link, was the state.

The new P25 contract has Motorola, through a third party construction company, responsible for all the site development this time around.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Every first hand account I've ever hear or read of regarding the performance of the original Motorola implementation of the SLERS system was that it was excellent within its stated coverage range. These accounts coming from people who actually USED it. State Troopers, primarily.

Part of the argument that the State made to go with Comm-Net's offer, which I note was at the time a company that was on the brink of closing its doors and had NO big tech partner at that time, was that Motorola was slow to build out the system. But Motorola was building the system at the rate stipulated by the contract. It was a specious argument at best.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Every first hand account I've ever hear or read of regarding the performance of the original Motorola implementation of the SLERS system was that it was excellent within its stated coverage range. These accounts coming from people who actually USED it. State Troopers, primarily.

It did work very well. I had a few opportunities to use the original system back in my day's at PBSO and was intrigued on how well the Omni-Link worked between the Miami and Palm Beach clusters and how it handed off, etc.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
The initial work to migrate the SLERS system to P25 Phase 1 has been ongoing for some time now. But with Motorola likely to take it over, there's absolutely no guarantee that anything is going to survive unchanged. I suspect that Motorola's system plan is very different from that of Harris.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
That’s the Harris P25 overlay (also referenced as aircraft sites). Motorola will most likely build out PSIC (292) because of their close connection with Lake County; and the fact that the system is already in numerous counties through the state.

I had my psr800 on search id on the PSIC (292) System for years didn't hear nada from it. I heard 1 tg one person say play ball.

IMPRES2

I had my psr800 on search id on the PSIC (292) System for years didn't hear nada from it. I heard 1 tg one person say play ball.
292 is a very active system. Remember though; if the talkgroup is not affiliated to a site then it won’t use a resource on that site (aside from Simulcast Remote sites but those are technically a single site if you look at SID).

Last edited:

WB3DYE

Silent Key

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Update from Urgent Communications:

Updated: Motorola Solutions ‘chomping at the bit’ to complete contract worth more than $600 million for statewide Florida system that needs to be operational in June 2021 – Urgent Comms

Excerpt:
Last year, an administrative law judge dismissed a protest from Harris—the incumbent vendor for Florida’s existing statewide law-enforcement radio system (SLERS) but a losing bidder for the P25 system—upholding the award to Motorola Solutions. Motorola Solutions proposal to build a 144-site, 700/800 MHz P25 Phase 2 system was about $300 million less than the Harris bid to build a 190-site P25 network for the state.

----

Motorola Solutions plans build, own and operate the proposed statewide P25 network. Although Adler said that about 14,000 radios would be provided to state personnel as part of Motorola Solutions’ SLERS bid, a Motorola spokesperson later clarified that state agencies would have to pay for these radios. However, Florida state agencies would not have pay a subscription fee to have these employees access the P25 network.

Local public-safety agencies in Florida also are expected to have the option of using the proposed P25 SLERS, but the expectation is that the local agencies would pay a subscription fee and have to purchase their own radios, Adler said.

A Motorola spokesperson today clarified to IWCE’s Urgent Communications that any P25 radio could work on the proposed SLERS system. Adler said which radios actually would be used is yet to be determined.

An interesting proposal. Motorola builds, owns, and operates the network. State agencies have to buy the subscriber equipment but DON'T PAY SUBSCRIBER FEES. Local (county and below) agencies can use the system but have to buy the subscriber radios and pay subscription fees, which are probably reasonable in any event.

This is how Motorola brought the contract in for a whole lot less money. They're bearing the cost of the site equipment and infrastructure and retain ownership of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.