Scanner recommendations for Harris and El Paso county PDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiseomatic

Been out of the scanning game for a few years since everyone went digital. Looking to get back in and know what is happening around me. Currently in Harris county and would like to monitor departments such as Pasadena, Precincts 3 and 8, Etc... When I move to El Paso mid next year, I want to also monitor the city and county departments.
What model would work that is cost effective and doesn't have a ton of crap I don't need and can program myself with custom labeled talkgroups like I was able to do with my old PRO-164? Not sure what is important to look for in a digital model. If one that is good is on the higher end of cost, I don't mind going used.
Thanks.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
So my suggestion is anything with SIMULCAST Support - otherwise you will not be happy. Missed calls or bad reception on standard digital scanners not good.

Also Harris County is Phase II so you need something Phase II.

If you like great reception - lots of customization and superior call clarity : Unication G4 or G5
If you really want more of a scanner only other thing I would suggest is the Uniden SDS-100. (Whistler is coming out with their Simulcast receivers but not available yet).

The Unication is different than a scanner - sure it will scan but you can't hold on a channel - it holds for a second or two but goes back to scanning - unlike a scanner with a hold button.(like the SDS-100) But you have so many banks/storage...that you can easily find options for this.
Example: I have a bank/knob position set to scan all Austin PD. If I hear something like an event I want to monitor I switch the knob to that Channel/Group and it just listens to that.

If you have ever thought - maybe I should try a Unication G4 or G5 - do it !! Phase II compatible and they are simply the BEST for Simulcast P25 systems.

The SDS100 is far better than the BCD536HP/BCD436HP/HomePatrol for Simulcast. But overall just tried SDS100 in my Simulcast area and not impressed as it missed stuff my Unication locked onto.

Sorry I am a little biased.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
El paso county Texas, city a 436 (sds100) is preferred.

City is 7/800 mhz p25 clear mostly minus detectives, swat and vice. County is phase 1 vhf trs. All sheriffs talkgroups are encrypted. Fire is in clear with some secure talk groups.

Many smaller towns are vhf clear, some analog some p25 conventional. Being close to NM you will hear vhf from NM which is all vhf analog mostly.

Texas DPS uses the conventional p25 vhf in DB, make sure you put the entire region in for el paso.

They do have a couple TGs on the sheriffs system.but those are encrypted. Unknown if it's simulcast to and from vhf or specific use.

So you'll have a mix of 700, 800, vhf, analog and p25 and lately some systems such as nxdn, dmr and CAP plus.

Last edited:

hou30guy

Get a g5 pager phase 2 ftw. Wayyyy better than scanners and u can program it urself

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Well keep in mind the city wants to fully encrypt down road like the sheriff did but there is no time and it's a mix and match of 2500s, 5000s, apx 900s, 2000s currently.

(El paso city)

Last edited:

Cruiseomatic

Guess I should of been a little more, Broad or specific. What I mean is, While I'm looking to scan the digital bands, I'm also looking to listen on the "normal" analog frequencies aswell. Basically, A all around unit if you will. Not something purpose specific to just municipalities.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
SDS100, or bcd436hp. I never had issues with the 436 but if you got to get one I'd gp with the SDS100.

Status
Not open for further replies.