R30 IC-R30 in the wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Air490

Just a few notes about my use of the IC-R30 at a recent airshow.

As with all Icom receivers it did a great job on the airband. The dual receive is always good at an airshow as it allows you to listen to the ":airboss" and continue to listen to other traffic.

I used the RS-30A app which I found to be very useful. The scanner could stay in a neoprene case attached to the shoulder strap of my camera bag and I could check activity on my phone. This is definitely a plus when it comes to protecting your receiver from dirt, dust and drops at outdoor events.

Battery usage was really good. I didn't use a bluetooth headset as I can't comment on what effect that would have. At the end of the day after listening with volume at 25 and scanning 4 frequencies with constant traffic I still had 74% battery. The app didn't seem to have much effect on my phone either, which was a concern.

Have to say I am very happy with my R30

tumegpc

Air490 - great job Air490. question , don't have a R30 (yet) but can you Pair it with any Bluetooth speaker or Headphones ? or does it only work with the ICOM bt earphone ?

The R30 does a great job with other Bluetooth headsets. So far I have paired two headphones and a cheap set of earbuds that I picked up from Best Buy.

CQ

One of the reasons I picked this up over the R8600 (no dual VFOs).

Just paired it with a cheap promo speaker and works with no issues.

safetyobc

Thanks for sharing. I want an Icom R30 so bad lol. I wanted a R20 for years and never pulled the trigger. I'm thinking of getting the R30.

Air490

As has already been pointed out you can pair the R30 with any bluetooth headphones, or even a bluetooth earpiece for a mobile (cell) phone. I have had no issues pairing with a variety of bluetooth devices. A bluetooth headset and the mobile app makes for a very discrete airport terminal listening setup!

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Am getting back into monitoring again. Used to own a AOR 8200 many years ago. Besides dual VFO, anything else the R30 has over the 8600? I know you can put only so much in a portable but not ruling out the 8600 yet.

ka1njl

Good question

Am getting back into monitoring again. Used to own a AOR 8200 many years ago. Besides dual VFO, anything else the R30 has over the 8600? I know you can put only so much in a portable but not ruling out the 8600 yet.

This is a great question. Keep in mind that I am answering from the perspective of someone who only owns an R30 but not the 8600. The first things that come to mind are portability, compact size, ability to power from USB including from a USB battery pack, ability to power it with AA batteries, it can be controlled remotely and wirelessly from an IOS or Android device, it can be controlled remotely via USB cable from a computer and it supports Bluetooth headsets. I'm sure there are other advantages but together these sold me. It's hard to go wrong with this remarkable receiver.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for Replying. With police band going encrypted in my area soon, my 436 will become a door stop. Have you checked out the features like P25 or others? I like portable radios so this one may find its way on my desk. Thanks again.

Ct_Pirate

Just revived the need for communication equipment
Premium Subscriber
I'm also looking to move up to the R30, what do I need for accessories or programming software?

tumegpc

I'm also looking to move up to the R30, what do I need for accessories or programming software?

Software :
RS-R30 App for Android or Apple

RTSystems: WCS-R30 software will allow you to program memory channels and menu settings of the radio with option for RadioReference database.

ICOM: CS-R30 Programming Software cost more than twice as much as RTSystems. Programming is quicker but lacks Radioreference Database.

Accessories: Just about any Bluetooth headset/headphones will work.
I have the BP-293 AA battery case and it cost about 45.00. Look on ebay - took about 3 weeks to arrive from Japan.
I also have the VS-3 Bluetooth headset. Well worth the money.

Ct_Pirate

Premium Subscriber
WOW thanks Tume,

one other thing how well does that close transmit capture work? As if I'm close to someone transmitting how easy is it to capture / find out the frequencies.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
ka1NL - ICOM R30 also has Multiple Scan modes - voice scan and has Multiple search modes as well. it even has AMWS - auto memory write search. R30 has Built in GPS with no GPS mic requited to use it. the Built in GPS can track the Locations of Towers or Transmitters you have programed in wethin 100 miles of your position.

Ct_Pirate

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Hardsuit,

Gigaparts just got them an order!

Status
Not open for further replies.