• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtothis18

I realize that this is not the beginners forum but they recommended that we start with our regional forum so here I am. I have already purchased a Galaxy DX-2547 AM/SSB radio for my husband. I have not however purchased an antenna or any of the equipment needed to set it up. I own my home but I do live in a subdivision that does not allow antenna to my knowledge. I can put an antenna outside as I do not have any back neighbors but I would not be able to put it all the way on the roof. I can put it alongside my chimney which will probably put it at 18' from the ground, or on my back deck which would be off the ground but not very high. What do I need to begin? What is the best antenna to purchase for now. I can spend around $600 for the whole set up, although cheaper is better. I have read a lot online but most of it is very technical not to mention many years old. I read somewhere that it will need to be installed on metal? Obviously my chimney is not metal so do I need to buy some sort of metal sheet, I read about 1/4 wave or 360 but I do not know what any of it means. I have also read about coax cords and some kind of wire that I would need. I realize that I am asking a lot. I apologize for my ignorance. This is a gift for my husband and I am completely lost when it comes to this. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take time out to help me. Merry Christmas to everyone.

TheSpaceMann

I realize that this is not the beginners forum but they recommended that we start with our regional forum so here I am. I have already purchased a Galaxy DX-2547 AM/SSB radio for my husband. I have not however purchased an antenna or any of the equipment needed to set it up. I own my home but I do live in a subdivision that does not allow antenna to my knowledge. I can put an antenna outside as I do not have any back neighbors but I would not be able to put it all the way on the roof. I can put it alongside my chimney which will probably put it at 18' from the ground, or on my back deck which would be off the ground but not very high. What do I need to begin? What is the best antenna to purchase for now. I can spend around $600 for the whole set up, although cheaper is better. I have read a lot online but most of it is very technical not to mention many years old. I read somewhere that it will need to be installed on metal? Obviously my chimney is not metal so do I need to buy some sort of metal sheet, I read about 1/4 wave or 360 but I do not know what any of it means. I have also read about coax cords and some kind of wire that I would need. I realize that I am asking a lot. I apologize for my ignorance. This is a gift for my husband and I am completely lost when it comes to this. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take time out to help me. Merry Christmas to everyone.
You can get an A-99 or an IMAX-2000. They both go up easily and can be mounted almost anywhere! You will need coax cable between the antenna and the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.