"New" Forum layout lacking advantages of "classic" layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
One thing I did notice, is we lost [or they did not import] the IGNORE within the message board

When reading a thread, did you try hovering over the user's avatar and clicking on "Ignore" or are you asking about a different type of Ignore?

ipfd320

Banned
Maybe another thing i noticed--the alerts tab--is there a way to delete the stuff (list ) thats piling up so the list aint really long and we can manage

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Maybe another thing i noticed--the alerts tab--is there a way to delete the stuff (list ) thats piling up so the list aint really long and we can manage

You can select which items show up in your Alerts list by clicking on "Alerts" and selecting "Preferences". That should help keep it somewhat manageable.

The alert list drops items off after 4 days and can hold up to 30 items per page.

ipfd320

Banned
ok got ya--i figured maybe we can like a facebook thing delete certain (x) ones from the list and keep the ones we need--ok just something for you to think about adding if you can--thx

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
No button for direct link to database or wiki.....

There is, actually; took some playing around to find it. Upper left hand corner, the name RadioReference has a pull-down arrow. Click that and it takes you to the links to various parts of the site.
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 12.27.14 PM.png

The new layout does take some getting used to, but I like certain aspects of it. It won't take long to become second nature.

ecps92

Guess my comment wasn't clear enough,

It appears that the IGNORE list from the old service did not migrate to the new service.

Yes, I see the IGNORE function, but those folks in my IGNORE list appear to have not been migrated as I was seeing messages
from people previously ignored this am. Unless there are still a few bugs to be worked out :)

Hope this makes more sense.

There is an ignore list on your account. Click your name on the top right and it's in the drop down.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
It appears that the IGNORE list from the old service did not migrate to the new service.

That's most likely what happened.

You'll have to add them all back in manually. Hopefully there's not too many people on your Ignore list ;)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I mentioned this in another part of the forum, but, even on my darkest setting, this is way too bright. Hurts my eyes trying to look at it for long. Hopefully you guys can subdue it some

Unforgiven_AF

Hello folks. I'm just chiming in as a regular member that is a moderator on another large forum that went through a vBulletin to Xenforo transition. I get that all the buttons look different and are in different places. PMs are called conversations, and its all just new. I've been using the XF platform for several years now, so if you have any questions, just ask, no matter how simple.

Jump to last post, newest unread post, invite new members to a PM (conversation), leave a conversation, quote, multiquote, quick quote, partial quote, embed images or videos, attach videos, save / delete draft posts, or whatever. Just shoot me a PM or ask in a thread (is there a good thread for this purpose already around?).

I haven't poked around to see what options are turned on or off, or what plugins are being used, but for the most part I know how most of the buttons work and where they are. :)

Unforgiven_AF

I mentioned this in another part of the forum, but, even on my darkest setting, this is way too bright. Hurts my eyes trying to look at it for long. Hopefully you guys can subdue it some
I have to agree here. I know there are a bunch of dark themes on the xenforo site that may be easier on the eyes.

FKimble

Too much white/bright empty space. Can we hide most of the info on a poster in the left side? This seems to set the height of the white text box. Would be nice if the box fit the text. Only 2 replys per page showing. Lots of wasted space.
Frank KK4YTM

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I could have done without this change also. I've been drifting away from RR several years now but came back because of the SDS 100. Unfortunately I will be spending less time here. If there was an option to have the classic version I would opt for it but of course that's impossible now. It was much more user-friendly and easier to navigate. Life is complicated enough as it is but this is the trend.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Haha, I just noticed, if I just made a typo and wanted to fix it. Where is that option? Hahaha.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I just noticed too that people's signature with the equipment that they own or their witty quotes and other information they are proud of and their location, posts and join date are not visible unless you take the time to tap on their picture which you know no one is going to do. People enjoyed looking at that and enjoyed posting that information and sharing it. As they say, new is not necessarily better. Hey at least nobody is attacking and insulting us... yet. Well that's my two cents.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
It took me a few days to figure out what was going on, since the last time TT stopped working with RR was (apparently) an issue with my app, and I saw no advanced notice that a change was on the horizon. So I have a few questions:

1) Will TT be supported? (That app has decreased in usefulness, especially due to ads, and I only used it for RR.)

2) Is there another phone app that supported? (Multiple apps?)

3) Will mobile web work, thus negating the need for another app? (The old system did not have a useable mobile web interface.)

ipfd320

Banned
Quote from Trentbob--> Haha, I just noticed, if I just made a typo and wanted to fix it. Where is that option? Hahaha.

hey trent lower left next to the report wording there will be an edit wording next to the report---it will stay there for a few minutes to edit what you need / and depending what your using the post counter and join date is visible on a laptop under the icon or picture

Status
Not open for further replies.