Brevard County P25 Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDR-94

Ahh, I’ll have to dig further then. I thought I covered most of the agencies but I probably forgot one of those smaller beachside ones. 2 stoplights and you’re out of their jurisdiction...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could just possibly be that one agency.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Yeah maybe they won’t. Who knows a lot can change.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
I wonder why Brevard bought XG75s and still has not gone P25 yet. The radios have 39 in them but no move to it yet.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
They do phase out radios on a time schedule so of course they buy a few at a time that are current models. They would not be buying new P7100s at this point.

I have also heard that the Sheriff has no plans to encrypt the system at any point because the county has an informal policy of openness to the public regarding routine traffic on the system.

I can tell you that a few times my M7300 installation has been seen by various police and deputies and not one of them was concerned about it in the slightest. However they did comment on the neatness of the install. Well, I woud not have installed a radio in a brand new car without making it absolutely the cleanest install I'm capable of. It can be removed and leave no trace that a radio was ever installed if I replace just two original Toyota plastic parts.

I fired up the P7300 this evening and sure enough, it appears that the Harris Keystone Cops are actually running encryption, either that or my radio is screwing up when hearing ProVoice again. I'll cross check that on my M7300 the next time I jump in the car to go for a drive.

I think maybe the system manager need another email regarding the Harris security folks operating improperly on a public safety system. That part about FDLE certification as law enforcement as defined by statute will come in handy. Gotta look those up.

This time quoting law and policy will probably be helpful.

Here's a concept that might be something to think about: If the system is connected via Harris' BeOn app, then it might be possible to set up a BeOn gateway that allows receive only operation with zero transmit permission thru that gateway. Allow anybody with a smartphone to access that gateway via the BeOn app which is available from the itunes store and the usual Android app stores.

Being able to use your phone as an authorized scanner via the BeOn app would be quite innovative.

Last edited:

srich10

Premium Subscriber
They do phase out radios on a time schedule so of course they buy a few at a time that are current models. They would not be buying new P7100s at this point.

I have also heard that the Sheriff has no plans to encrypt the system at any point because the county has an informal policy of openness to the public regarding routine traffic on the system.

I fired up the P7300 this evening and sure enough, it appears that the Harris Keystone Cops are actually running encryption, either that or my radio is screwing up when hearing ProVoice again. I'll cross check that on my M7300 the next time I jump in the car to go for a drive.

I think maybe the system manager need another email regarding the Harris security folks operating improperly on a public safety system. That part about FDLE certification as law enforcement as defined by statute will come in handy. Gotta look those up.

This time quoting law and policy will probably be helpful.

Here's a concept that might be something to think about: If the system is connected via Harris' BeOn app, then it might be possible to set up a BeOn gateway that allows receive only operation with zero transmit permission thru that gateway. Allow anybody with a smartphone to access that gateway via the BeOn app which is available from the itunes store and the usual Android app stores.

Being able to use your phone as an authorized scanner via the BeOn app would be quite innovative.

+1 to that concept. Would be fantastic to get the high quality receive audio anywhere without having to be in RF range of a site. Also a + since some Dispatch TG are not simulcast throughout the entire County. My 536 antenna barely grabs North so hearing Rockledge or Titusville sometimes is hard to pickup.

As for the sheriff, yes that is true. Talked with him personally before and this is standing/informal policy. Not many if any sheriffs out there that are as engaging with the public as he is. I know Snyder and Mascara in Martin and St Lucie DEFINITELY aren’t; especially given their new joint P25 system they just cutover to is completely crypto after being completely in the open previously.

Heck when they upgraded from their Previous system to their old Type II mixed mode system that was P25 capable with active P25 TG’s in use by the med HELO, ALL LE was Analog in the clear. They even had a webpage on the county website that listed all the system sites with frequencies and rebanded bandplan tables, and outlined what talkgroups the new Type II system used that mapped up to what they had previously slaved for each department.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Early this year I bought a P7350 off of ebay for a song, relatively speaking. I think I got it for 120 bucks. I picked it up from the electronics recycler in Orlando and brought it home and stuck a battery on it. It didn't take more than a few seconds to realize I had picked up a virtually new Brevard radio programmed for the now defunct Port Canaveral police unit. Well, I feel some sense of responsibility about such things so I contacted the Sheriff's Department about it. Long story short, they were quite happy to recover the "missing" radio which got accidentally tossed in a bunch of computer stuff sent out to be recycled. They reimbursed me for my costs plus a little extra for my effort to do the right thing. Actually made a modest profit on the deal.

I was quite happy with how things turned out for all concerned.

If the radio had not show any evidence of being a Brevard radio I'd have used it for my own purposes. But as I'm a resident of Brevard, there was only one ethical course of action to take and I took it without hesitation.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Early this year I bought a P7350 off of ebay for a song, relatively speaking. I think I got it for 120 bucks. I picked it up from the electronics recycler in Orlando and brought it home and stuck a battery on it. It didn't take more than a few seconds to realize I had picked up a virtually new Brevard radio programmed for the now defunct Port Canaveral police unit. Well, I feel some sense of responsibility about such things so I contacted the Sheriff's Department about it. Long story short, they were quite happy to recover the "missing" radio which got accidentally tossed in a bunch of computer stuff sent out to be recycled. They reimbursed me for my costs plus a little extra for my effort to do the right thing. Actually made a modest profit on the deal.

If the radio had not show any evidence of being a Brevard radio I'd have used it for my own purposes. But as I'm a resident of Brevard, there was only one ethical course of action to take and I took it without hesitation.

Good on ya [emoji106]Glad they at least acknowledged what you did getting an auth’d radio back into their possession.

I can say from meeting and knowing many members of BCSO personally, your experience fits the majority of its members. Very personable individuals who you are glad to communicate and work with and trust serving the citizens out on the streets.

CanesFan95

Very classy on you and them.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
You're not being ignored, but your questions have been answered. Radios are phased out and replaced as they get old. So they buy new ones from the current catalog when it's time to write a check for some new radios.

Brevard is not in any hurry to do the P25 upgrade because there's no need to rush it. They have spares to keep the EDACS system running for a fair number of years to come and the upgrades are being planned and budgeted very carefully so they don't end up with a broken system halfway through the upgrade process.

It ain't broke. No rush to fix it. All in good time and when it's done it'll be done right. Exhaustively planned, rehearsed, and executed with care.

trooper890

HAHAHAHA.....nope. Don’t even want to go down that farce of a fox hole

There’s already been hand smacking over jurisdictions using PTT over LTE Solutions for operations. SOP is to use LMR or MDT for road patrol. Couple state statute issues as well as Florida Constitution ones that arise from its use.

You'd be surprised how many agencies are already using it, many right around you. It's coming like it or not. So, using LTE via carrier or public safety broadband for communications is in contention with the State Constitution? I'd like to learn more about that one. (Florida signed up for the national network, with all the other states.)

Status
Not open for further replies.