New York State Electric and Gas (NYSEG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_M

Premium Subscriber
Has any one picked up any NYSEG radio traffic in Erie County Aera in the last 6 months. I have not heard anything on any low band frequency.
If any one has any Frequencies that are in the Erie County Aera please Post them.
NYSE&G 48.000
NYSE&G 48.040
NYSE&G 48.080
NYSE&G 48.200
NYSE&G 48.260
NYSE&G 48.300
NYSE&G 48.320
NYSE&G 48.360
NYSE&G 48.380
NYSE&G 48.400

mmisk

Would anyone know what NYSEG P25 frequencies are use to cover St. Laurence County. Cannot find a listing for this area. Thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That's probably because they've nearly abandoned the old low band system long ago. They have a statewide P25 digital trunking system that is so good I hear it way down here in PA. Super clear signal and audio.... very fine system. Details are here in the RR database -
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6033
The P25 system does not cover Erie County. In fact, it's not a true "statewide" system at all. A quick look at the site map makes that evident.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteMap&sid=6033&type=rr

Last edited:

k2hz

Database Admin
Would anyone know what NYSEG P25 frequencies are use to cover St. Laurence County. Cannot find a listing for this area. Thanks!
There is no listing because St Lawrence County is not part of NYSEG gas or electric service area. The NYSEG Plattsburgh district covers most of Clinton and parts of Franklin, Essex and Hamilton Counties for electric and only Clinton County for gas service.

The Plattsburgh district is not part of the P25 system.

leeljs

Premium Subscriber
been monitoring the 150.00 to 154.00 for some time now and came up with the following frequencies. There is no formality it seems to radio talk just repair. I am using a TRX-2 with outside discone ant. Hope you all can hear what I hear and add more info to the forum.

Attachments

• nyseg_WNY.PNG
    nyseg_WNY.PNG
    161.9 KB · Views: 27

k2hz

Database Admin
The frequencies 151.190, 153.575 & 153.425 are National Grid in your area, not NYSEG. The others are questionable since I don't see any NYSEG licenses for those frequencies in the Erie County area.

leeljs

Premium Subscriber
The frequencies 151.190, 153.575 & 153.425 are National Grid in your area, not NYSEG. The others are questionable since I don't see any NYSEG licenses for those frequencies in the Erie County area.
I do hear National Grid and their communications seem formal using a dispatcher also one of the frequencies I listed does use a CW identifier that I have to decode and that could help to identify what I am hearing.

k2hz

Database Admin
I do hear National Grid and their communications seem formal using a dispatcher also one of the frequencies I listed does use a CW identifier that I have to decode and that could help to identify what I am hearing.
I see 153.020 licensed to Kehrer Poultry Farms in Clarence and Basom and also Elba Central Schools. I don't see licenses for the other frequencies in your area. This is often a clue that the frequencies are used in adjacent Canada and are unavailable in the US. You may be hearing Canadian stations.

That was was one of the problems NYSEG had with licensing their P25 system in extreme western and northern NY. Once they got into the "Line A" coordination zone many applications ran into Canadian coordination problems. There is a NYSEG P25 system site at Attica with a control channel on 152.210 that you can probably hear but I have never heard any activity other than rare times with radio techs or unknown units apparently driving through the area on the Thruway.

leeljs

Premium Subscriber
I see 153.020 licensed to Kehrer Poultry Farms in Clarence and Basom and also Elba Central Schools. I don't see licenses for the other frequencies in your area. This is often a clue that the frequencies are used in adjacent Canada and are unavailable in the US. You may be hearing Canadian stations.

That was was one of the problems NYSEG had with licensing their P25 system in extreme western and northern NY. Once they got into the "Line A" coordination zone many applications ran into Canadian coordination problems. There is a NYSEG P25 system site at Attica with a control channel on 152.210 that you can probably hear but I have never heard any activity other than rare times with radio techs or unknown units apparently driving through the area on the Thruway.
The reason I monitor the 152.00 to 153.00 mhz is because the NYSEG statewide network operates on those frequencies and if WNY has a major outage and statewide trucks are brought in for help the local repair trucks have to communicate with each other?

k2hz

Database Admin
It is possible that units in the area could use the Attica 152.210 P25 System but it is unlikely there would be any truck to truck simplex use on the 152-153 trunked system frequencies. NYSEG has numerous conventional mobile licenses on 153 and 158 frequencies that would be likely to be used for truck to truck simplex in a storm aid response. I think I have seen posts on this forum about such use in the past. You would need to be close to the units to hear the simplex truck to truck communications. Normal storm "mutual aid" crew practice is for the team leader to communicate with the local energy control center by cell phone and the crew uses their own simplex "talk around" frequency coordinate their efforts.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
It is possible that units in the area could use the Attica 152.210 P25 System but it is unlikely there would be any truck to truck simplex use on the 152-153 trunked system frequencies. NYSEG has numerous conventional mobile licenses on 153 and 158 frequencies that would be likely to be used for truck to truck simplex in a storm aid response. I think I have seen posts on this forum about such use in the past. You would need to be close to the units to hear the simplex truck to truck communications. Normal storm "mutual aid" crew practice is for the team leader to communicate with the local energy control center by cell phone and the crew uses their own simplex "talk around" frequency coordinate their efforts.

I'm told NYSEG uses 173 range for 5 of their known "TAC" channels. I don't listen to them much unless there is some kind of "emergency" operation etc. I have them in my scanners but I don't recall hearing anything as of yet. Others have said they have heard activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.