SDS100/SDS200: Remtronix antenna sds100

Status
Not open for further replies.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I see the antenna works for 700 to 900 what is the default antenna cover? I know the default is a all around antenna if I were to purchase it will it improve everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The antenna that comes with the radio would be an all-around full coverage antenna from VHF low/ High to 800 megahertz which makes sense.

The fact it's a proven inefficient antenna makes no sense at all and someone else would have to answer that. If you want a full coverage antenna and not just UHF 800 like the GRE or RS 800 I would recommend...

The Bearcat General coverage BNC antenna that came with the non SMA scanners as it's a really good all-around antenna.

Again someone else would have to answer why such an inefficient poorly receiving antenna would be put on such a sophisticated scanner as the SDS 100.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
The antenna that comes with the radio would be an all-around full coverage antenna from VHF low/ High to 800 megahertz which makes sense.

The fact it's a proven inefficient antenna makes no sense at all and someone else would have to answer that. If you want a full coverage antenna and not just UHF 800 like the GRE or RS 800 I would recommend...

The Bearcat General coverage BNC antenna that came with the non SMA scanners as it's a really good all-around antenna.

Again someone else would have to answer why such an inefficient poorly receiving antenna would be put on such a sophisticated scanner as the SDS 100.

Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep, BTW the remtronix 800 antenna first made by or for GRE and then rebranded by RadioShack as the RS 800 was first introduced as an 800 megahertz antenna.

It didn't take long to realize it was an excellent UHF antenna but not so much on VHF High. When RS went out of business I bought fistfuls of the RS 800 for next to nothing.

I believe remtronix company was started by a former GRE employee.

Ubbe

There's no all band antennas for portables. They are all tuned to a frequency in two different bands, or perhaps someone has a 3 band model. It's usually a 150Mhz frequency and antennas often works good a 3x its frequency so it would also work good at 450Mhz and then they add a 800Mhz element in the antenna, or someone might have a design with one 750MHz and one 850Mhz element.

/Ubbe

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep the standard issue Bearcat BNC antenna that we have gotten with BNC scanners for years can't be optimized for every frequency but it is a good all-around General antenna for the full coverage the scanner offers.

The remtronix is excellent on 800 and UHF but if you wanted to listen to VHF also you are at a disadvantage.

We are only listening here and not transmitting so it's all a compromise. I have found the standard issue BNC rubber duck that has come with Uniden BNC scanners is a good all-around all band antenna even though it's not perfectly tuned for every frequency the Radio covers.

djeplett

Wow that is night & day. I've definitely noticed an improvement over the stock duck, too. But your 100 sure is a lot happier with the Remtronix.

Jimco

Very nice! I just got mine as well. I'm not seeing a -45dBm RSSI. In fact, my RSSI is about what it was with the stock antenna, but my reception is still much better with the Remtronix. I'm not smart enough to know exactly why, and I really don't care. :)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's good news, remember positioning is important. You might want to move it around to convenient spots for you.

Jimco

I think I'm just going to turn off the RSSI and Noise indicators on my display. My SDS100 is very comparable to my G5 in reception now, even when RSSI is in the 90s. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it, and I don't want to be constantly disgruntled with bad RSSI numbers if the actual experience is a good one.

ecarvalho

For those of you with multiple antennas and posting videos - would you mind doing a comparison for VHF and UHF freqs? The Remtronix is clearly a strong performer for 800 MHz

I can make a video with a VHF P25 system to compare but trust me the REM820S is terrible in VHF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That antenna was made for or by GRE who made Radio Shack DIGITAL scanners starting in 2003. Some of those scanners which are ancient technology are now being rebranded and sold by Whistler today. This antenna made by remtronix was made by or for GRE years ago and then was rebranded by RadioShack again, years and years ago. It was called the RS 800. RadioShack went out of business and remtronics was started by a GRE employee.

I guess the point I'm making is this is not a new discovery or a new antenna that just came out. RadioShack sold it for years as a 800 megahertz only antenna. However...

It only took a few minutes to realize that not only was it excellent on 800 megahertz but it also beat everything else out on UHF also. Just light years ahead of any other antenna.

It's really bad on VHF and useless on VHF low band. Trust me, you don't need a video.

Run your own test on the VHF weather bands. Pick a distant City that doesn't come in good and grab the shaft of the antenna and see the Improvement your body adds to the reception.

Remtronix making an antenna for the screwball SMA connection on the SDS 100 is a great idea and a really good thing. It's a good antenna for the radio, unless of course... You want to pick up VHF high or low.

Status
Not open for further replies.