• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Error Message After Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

Hi I have this issue now a couple of times as well. This error came up after turning on the unit not even just after charging, with a brand new G4 unit with Phase II firmware built in...i pressed the two side buttons and the top play button to force a reset and it wouldn't take that...the easiest solution since I was in front of the computer was to send it the programming again to force a resetart, didn't want to take the battery out. Hope Unication can fix this quirk.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I have the issue, it seems to be happening a bit more often, and it's getting more irritating as turning off and on no longer works, it either takes a battery pull or dumping the program back in. For me it typically happens when I simply turn the device on, then it goes to the error.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I have the issue, it seems to be happening a bit more often, and it's getting more irritating as turning off and on no longer works, it either takes a battery pull or dumping the program back in. For me it typically happens when I simply turn the device on, then it goes to the error.

The latest firmware V1.10-T06 seems to have (almost entirely) fixed the issue. I saw the error come up for maybe a half second once when I turned my G4 on, and it vanished very quickly. Other than that, I haven't see the issue return in the last week of testing. I'll update if there is any change.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
The latest firmware V1.10-T06 seems to have (almost entirely) fixed the issue. I saw the error come up for maybe a half second once when I turned my G4 on, and it vanished very quickly. Other than that, I haven't see the issue return in the last week of testing. I'll update if there is any change.

Where can I get 1.10-t06? I'm on1.00.t08

JT-112

Error code FFFFA today; unable to clear with any button presses or trying to load another zone.

Turned the unit off and on several times with the error screen showing up again.

Didn't have any tools to take the back off.

Finally turned it off and did something else for about 2-3 minutes, turned it on out of boredom and it came on no issue.

I have Phase II software and it's a G5.

Whelen

Premium Subscriber
Chiming in so I can stay up to date on the firmware update. My G4 is only a month od, and I have experienced this same issue 4 times. first 3 times, it self-corrected itself after 2-3 minutes. Today it did not, the "3 button press" did nothing, so a battery pull fixed the issue. In my opinion, a $565 receiver shouldn't have issues like this.

wa2chj

Mine (G5/VHF), received in October and worked fine for nearly two months), is now doing this also....but with a twist. It has never been charged by anything except the supplied adapter/cable or the non-amplified base charger. It now cycles through the Unication boot up screen, a receiving screen for about 5 seconds, and the Reset+DVR+Play screen for about 5 seconds and back to the boot up screen, over and over. Even the power switch wont stop it. Only removing the battery will stop it - replacing the battery starts the same cycle all over again even after leaving it out overnight. Before it got this bad, I reloaded the firmware, and the PPS file. No Joy. The reset 3 button push does nothing. I cannot connect to the PPS anymore as the pager cycles too fast for the connection to last more than a few seconds, so the programming fails.
I have sent emails to both Ray's Pagers (who has been very helpful in the past), and Unication, but being that it's Christmas time, I have no idea when they will see it or get back to me. Has anyone had any luck recovering from this serious an issue?
Thanks,
Scott, EMT-P-CC
WA2CHJ

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Mine (G5/VHF), received in October and worked fine for nearly two months), is now doing this also....but with a twist. It has never been charged by anything except the supplied adapter/cable or the non-amplified base charger. It now cycles through the Unication boot up screen, a receiving screen for about 5 seconds, and the Reset+DVR+Play screen for about 5 seconds and back to the boot up screen, over and over. Even the power switch wont stop it. Only removing the battery will stop it - replacing the battery starts the same cycle all over again even after leaving it out overnight. Before it got this bad, I reloaded the firmware, and the PPS file. No Joy. The reset 3 button push does nothing. I cannot connect to the PPS anymore as the pager cycles too fast for the connection to last more than a few seconds, so the programming fails.
I have sent emails to both Ray's Pagers (who has been very helpful in the past), and Unication, but being that it's Christmas time, I have no idea when they will see it or get back to me. Has anyone had any luck recovering from this serious an issue?
Thanks,
Scott, EMT-P-CC
WA2CHJ

I recently had a G5 replaced under warranty for exactly the same behavior. The unit had the issue occasionally over 18 months but always recovered and would act normally for several months. I did re-flash both firmware and programing several times when it worked normally, but apparently that had nothing to do with the issue. It then began the continuous reboot and was replaced through the warranty program.

wa2chj

I recently had a G5 replaced under warranty for exactly the same behavior. The unit had the issue occasionally over 18 months but always recovered and would act normally for several months. I did re-flash both firmware and programing several times when it worked normally, but apparently that had nothing to do with the issue. It then began the continuous reboot and was replaced through the warranty program.

That's the exact same behavior as mine, right down to working normally sometimes and being able to program when it is working. Only difference is mine lost it's mind in just a couple months!
Thanks for confirming I'm not seeing things!
Ray is working on getting me a return authorization and RMA number. I'm hoping I can get it sent off quickly and back quickly.
So yours was replaced rather than repaired? I was hoping they had some silver bullet reset/firmware reload that would simply cure the problem, but it sounds like its some kind of hardware issue like a RAM/ROM chip problem.
Again, thanks for the reply and sanity check.

Scott, EMT-P-CC
WA2CHJ

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
That's the exact same behavior as mine, right down to working normally sometimes and being able to program when it is working. Only difference is mine lost it's mind in just a couple months!
Thanks for confirming I'm not seeing things!
Ray is working on getting me a return authorization and RMA number. I'm hoping I can get it sent off quickly and back quickly.
So yours was replaced rather than repaired? I was hoping they had some silver bullet reset/firmware reload that would simply cure the problem, but it sounds like its some kind of hardware issue like a RAM/ROM chip problem.
Again, thanks for the reply and sanity check.

Scott, EMT-P-CC
WA2CHJ

I was directed to send the unit under RMA with antenna, battery, battery cover, and belt clip all removed. I have no idea what was done to analyze the issue and to determine if a repair was possible. The end result in my case was a replacement with what appears to be a new unit...or at least a new shell, new battery, new battery cover, and new antenna. However, I would not automatically assume your situation is the identical issue and resolution. It's possible yours is repairable where mine may not have been...and hence the replacement.

Many companies refurb/repair items and keep them ready for a more rapid response for customers. Others may replace with new units. Probably depends on time-to-refurb/repair, whether the unit has to return to the factory, etc...

Whatever the case turns out to be, Unication and the dealer (Ray's Pager (y)) resolved the issue to my satisfaction...which is all the matters in the end :giggle:. Hopefully your issue will be resolved as well!

mitbr

So with the people having this problem did you have voice storage active?
If it is a ram or rom issue, I wonder if this behavior is similar to the sd card corruption problems with some of the Uniden scanners.
I don't have this problem yet....just curious if the voice storage may be the culprit.
Tim

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone determined if this behavior is a just quirk of all G5s or indicative of a defect in the particular unit exhibiting the behavior?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I've been plagued by this issue for the two months I've owned my G5. I've not been able to determine any particular circumstance that may have caused this error. Periodically, I'll also receive a Charging Error #11 after the initial error message disappears even if the pager has not been charged recently. I even received this error on powering up right after a battery pull. Sometimes, the pager will spontaneously reboot after receiving this error without my intervention, and at other times the message will disappear and the pager resumes normal operation. The error seems to occur in batches. Yet, there are times when I can go through several power-up's without any error. So far, the error has only occurred when turning the pager on.

I've tried some of the posted "solutions" with no effect (voice storage on/off, buffer on/off, unchecking various "paging functions"). The G5 is always charged using the supplied cable and charger. The reference to "system" in the message has me wondering if there's an issue with the P25 systems I've programmed. To address that possibility, I loaded programming consisting of only some VHF frequencies, and experienced the same problem. I tried powering up the pager while on an unprogrammed knob position and still got the error.

Oddly enough, I can predict when the error will occur. As the pager starts up, the longer it takes to adjust the screen brightness to my programmed setting (manual 4), the better the chance of the error occurring. Alternately, once the brightness reduces to my preset level, the error never occurs. Coincidentally, and also since delivery, I get a noticeable flickering of the screen brightness if using a level higher than 4.

I'm just praying that the upcoming firmware update will kill this bug for good!

Status
Not open for further replies.