TRX-2 Long Squelch tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The Squelch dial does nothing to fix the problem in my case. Whistler has let ALL TRX 2 owner don on this one. No more!!
No whistler has not let "ALL TRX 2 owner don on this one" if you cannot get rid of the tail , then maybe you're picking up interference as My TRX-2 does not have a squelch tail unless I have the squelch set too low. I would be happy to give you scrap price for your scanner if you find it unusable.

mrkelso

No whistler has not let "ALL TRX 2 owner don on this one" if you cannot get rid of the tail , then maybe you're picking up interference as My TRX-2 does not have a squelch tail unless I have the squelch set too low. I would be happy to give you scrap price for your scanner if you find it unusable.
" picking up interference" with 16 scanners all tested from the same desktop on the same freqs and only 1 The TRX-2 has the problem i think not.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

The squelch on the TRX-2 is completely hosed. Read back through this thread, it's clearly explained what is wrong. Whistler should fix this but they choose not too. So I will choose to never buy one of their products again. Lesson learned. Whistler= crap and poor customer service.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The squelch on the TRX-2 is completely hosed. Read back through this thread, it's clearly explained what is wrong. Whistler should fix this but they choose not too. So I will choose to never buy one of their products again. Lesson learned. Whistler= crap and poor customer service.
Not hosed for me, My trx-2 works very well as does my stock pro 668 and the other 5 scanners I own. I tried to attach a video to show the world but it says the files was too large.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
It depends on your frequency/PL tone combination. Also you need to turn the squelch up to 8 to close the squelch which never made sense to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
So now that Whistler has killed the new scanners in development, maybe they can throw us users of the TRX-2 a bone and fix this squelch problem. Good grief.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
So now that Whistler has killed the new scanners in development, maybe they can throw us users of the TRX-2 a bone and fix this squelch problem. Good grief.
Still not sure why some people have a problem with this other then maybe interference ...set the squelch at 1 or 2 numbers ABOVE where white noise stops...so if white noise stops at 8, then set squelch to 9 or 10. Also if you only run Digital systems on a TRx you will not get any tails.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Still not sure why some people have a problem with this other then maybe interference ...set the squelch at 1 or 2 numbers ABOVE where white noise stops...so if white noise stops at 8, then set squelch to 9 or 10. Also if you only run Digital systems on a TRx you will not get any tails.
So those of us who have analog systems in our areas should just stop listening? A bit of an obnoxious suggestion, don't you think?

As for the squelch solution, tell me why no other scanner I own, non-Whistler that is, has the same issue? That pretty much eliminates your interference suggestion as well...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
That was not the suggestion, Adjust the squelch as I suggested or Get a used analog scanner for less then
$40 on ebay or craigslist.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Paying 500 bucks for a scanner that requires me to buy another scanner for analog is even less intelligent a suggestion. Why not just make it work?

I have had dozens of scanners and the whistlers are the only models that ever had this issue. None of my Uniden have ever displayed this problem. My TRX2 sat right next to my SDS 100 for a few weeks and I finally shut off the TRX2. Too goddamn annoying. Substandard product.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
It works fine for many of us, You should figure out why it has this problem at your location and on the systems you monitor. Could it be that one specific scanner has an issue?

I can show you how well my trx-2 works on analog if you want and I remove most squelch tones and use a outdoor TV antenna with a amp.

What i'm saying is why do you have problem and I don't with same model scanner? think about ...don't compare it to other makes and models...but apples to apples. My trx-2 vs Your trx-2

mrkelso

Look, we are not Whistler haters, infact i am a whistler fan for many years. So saying that i am telling you that there is a problem with a long Squelch tail on the TRX 2.Maybe not all were affected but many are. Mine is one of them.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
It is definitely not a location based issue, rather than an odd combination of frequency and PL Tones. When I had mine I had the issue on consistently on the same channels, and this was in my car. Before you blame the car, I can tell you the TRX-1 with the same programming did not do this.

APX7500X2

Mine has done this from day 1 in 5 different states so its a TRX-2 issue. I would love for it to work correct so I could use the remote head but it wont and now with Whistler gone it never will. I use it for a local trunk system now

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Mine has done this from day 1 in 5 different states so its a TRX-2 issue. I would love for it to work correct so I could use the remote head but it wont and now with Whistler gone it never will. I use it for a local trunk system now
It may be limited to some Trx-2's but not ALL, as mine does not do it.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps it may be due to overload? So, maybe it could be location based.

My HP 2 exhibits the same behavior on certain frequencies, depending on antenna used while mobile. I've been wanting to play around with a variable attenuator, but, have not found anything relatively cheap for mobile use. If I attenuate the signal on the HP 2, the tail goes away, but at 20db so does a lot of the signal. Same on the TRX 2.

I really wish the scanner manufacturers would add variable attenuation to scanners.

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I changed my delay to 1.0 and the mode to Auto and it cleared up the long tail on my TRX-1.
Much more enjoyable to listen to without that extra noise at the end.

Attachments

• CSX.jpg
    CSX.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 19

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You keep forgetting some radio shops set up long squelch tails and tone transmit the entire time the repeater is keyed.
Old school techs think this is better on the repeater when you have marginal inputs making the repeater key unkey several times in a conversation you just miss audio during the dropouts.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I changed my delay to 1.0 and the mode to Auto and it cleared up the long tail on my TRX-1.
Much more enjoyable to listen to without that extra noise at the end.
What were you set at for delay? as I think that may have been your fix, I do not set anything to auto and my delay is set to 2.0 and no squelch tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.