Uniden BC996XT out of Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschenavar

Question because RR wouldn't allow me to post in the "uniden" section. I have a Uniden BC996XT that I have just recently started messing with for my Fire Chief. I went through Free Scan for programming and did the automatic download through RR on it. It seems to have programmed ok, but I am new to Digital/Trunking scanners so I'm not sure if I have an issue or not. The county to my north I cannot hear anything off the site/group that I am trying to hear. I was able to hear some traffic over the highway patrol's tower to my east. I have checked the control channels and they are all programmed into the scanner for each site. The scanner shows NFM ATT on the front of the scanner and I do not see any service bars, nor do I hear any buzzing on any channel that I am concerned with.

It is on the St. Louis Area Trunked Emergency Radio network
Jefferson County sites (both)

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
ATT means the attuenator is on. Try turning it off and see if anything improves.

aschenavar

I assume they are phase II at this point..I believe I'm gathering that the 996xt was only phase I capable?

marksmith

The 996xt and 396xt are now discontinued. Still great scanners for all but phase 2, but they are replaced by the 996p2 and 325p2.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Around Four of the seven counties around me have gone phase 2 but have literally added the dreaded encryption to that. This is partly the reason I am asking the release year. Now I have to pretty much buy the brand new handheld Uniden to even have a chance.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Around Four of the seven counties around me have gone phase 2 but have literally added the dreaded encryption to that. This is partly the reason I am asking the release year. Now I have to pretty much buy the brand new handheld Uniden to even have a chance.

A new scanner won't help with encryption, only with un-encrypted phase II.

marksmith

No scanner will enable receiving encrypted channels. The latest Uniden will substantially improve reception of systems using simulcast, which does not necessarily involve just phase 2.

Some phase 1 P25 systems are notorious simulcast distortion problems and the SDS100's claim to fame is this specific issue. Some phase 2 systems are handled fine with a 436.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.