Which Scanner for Lake County, Illinois?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacefrog922

I am new to this and also would like to know more about what scanner and antenna to get to get started. I am in Lake County Illinois.

peacefrog922

I have a older Radio Shack Pro 2049 base scanner and I am using the antenna that came with the unit. I am not getting anything. Any suggestions on upgrading the antenna? Thanks.

ab5r

Not getting anything does not mean the radio isn't working, necessarily. You didn't mention what frequencies you were monitoring. Depending upon where you are in the country, everything MAY be digital and possibly encrypted. You might check the RR Database for you area to see what the status is.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
the 2049 is analog only. the agencies you want to monitor may have migrated to digital. it would help to know which agenies you want to monitor.

peacefrog922

I am not even getting any analog....could it be it is because I am using the antenna that came with the unit? ( the one that screws into the top ) Should I start with a better antenna?

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Some of those agencies may still be analog, look here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=639

PD should be on 470.5875 (if they have not moved to StarCom and encrypted). FD is on 154.400. Your PRO-2049 should receive these analog frequencies just fine even with the standard antenna.

You'll need a Phase II capable digital scanner if you want to hear the unencrypted TGs on the Lake County StarCom system.

Hope that helps!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I spent part of last week in Lake County. I have a PSR 800 with the Whistler upgrade and heard both Starcom21 and analog traffice. I was using the import by county option, so I had a lot of frequencies. Some of the Starcom was encrytped, but most was clear. As money becomes available, the analog will disappear and you will need a digital scanner. You can also expect more encryption as the system grows.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know of any CB shops in the north suburbs? I can't seem to find anything in the area.
CB shops in general do not exist There is plenty to listen to on Starcomm in Lake CO.. ISP McHenry Co Sheriff Metra Police but 90% of the local PD and all of the County is Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.