Central Dispatch...not hearing all departments??

Status
Not open for further replies.

D5422

Premium Subscriber
Purchased Uniden SDS 100. Brown County, Wisconsin. Sheriff Dept heard often. Green Bay Police Dept not being heard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This question may be best asked in the Wisconsin page since it is a local matter. I see in the database section they are migrating to a new system and they make not be fully operational. I think (emphasize think) they may have used an Open Sky or some other "weird" kind of system that scanners could not deal with.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Purchased Uniden SDS 100. Brown County, Wisconsin. Sheriff Dept heard often. Green Bay Police Dept not being heard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Have you installed Sentinel on your PC, and updated the main database? If so, did you then use Sentinel to write the update to the scanner?

Also, are you using a Favorites list, or just using location and the main database?

When shipped, the scanner normally has only the Dispatch service types enabled (Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, etc). Be sure that you also enable the Tac & Talk servicee types for public safety, i.e.: Law Talk, Fire Tac, Ems Tac, Multi-Dispatch Talk, etc.

As ofd noted, the county's database page shows the county is in the progress of migrating to the new digital trunked system. If you have not updated the scanner's database, yoou may not be scanning the most recent changes. As also noted by ofd, this is more of a local question, in regards as to who is using which system or frequencies. So, you might want to request your thread be moved to the Wisconsin forum. Someone there might have information of any current changes or planned updates. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

D5422

Premium Subscriber
Have you installed Sentinel on your PC, and updated the main database? If so, did you then use Sentinel to write the update to the scanner?

Also, are you using a Favorites list, or just using location and the main database?

When shipped, the scanner normally has only the Dispatch service types enabled (Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, etc). Be sure that you also enable the Tac & Talk servicee types for public safety, i.e.: Law Talk, Fire Tac, Ems Tac, Multi-Dispatch Talk, etc.

As ofd noted, the county's database page shows the county is in the progress of migrating to the new digital trunked system. If you have not updated the scanner's database, yoou may not be scanning the most recent changes. As also noted by ofd, this is more of a local question, in regards as to who is using which system or frequencies. So, you might want to request your thread be moved to the Wisconsin forum. Someone there might have information of any current changes or planned updates. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

Hello, I did install Sentinal today (and updated it as of 12-29-2018 I believe). I’m using the preprogrammed install and have all those types enabled. Hearing WI State Patrol, BC Sheriff, EMS. Not hearing Green Bay PD. I can hear them on the numerous apps out there. [??] Talk about pulling my hair out! I did request moderator move my thread. I’m looking for the data page showing Brown Co migrating to a new system, but haven’t found it yet. Your time and help is appreciated!

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings...

Most public safety in the county is on the county's SIREN radio system. I believe the only one that is not on the system is UW Green Bay PD. The main county agency that is still on analog is the county highway department (151.115). I am guessing that if they haven't gone to the system by now, their plan is to eventually implement a conventional DMR system like most area public works agencies.

I've been scanning nearly 30 years and SDS-100 was very confusing in the beginning. Now that I have (sort) of gotten use to it, its a very good radio for scanning digital Trunked Radio Systems. Strangely enough, It's been disappointing on the analog reception front.

As for your original post, like post #4 said, make sure all of the service types are enabled for public safety. As a matter of fact, I usually just have them all enabled (Aircraft, Business, Corrections, Etc). If you imported the system from RadioReference, then make sure you selected the Green Bay talkgroups. If you are receiving Brown County So and County Fire, then you should be receiving Green Bay.

Tim

D5422

Premium Subscriber
Greetings...

Most public safety in the county is on the county's SIREN radio system. I believe the only one that is not on the system is UW Green Bay PD. The main county agency that is still on analog is the county highway department (151.115). I am guessing that if they haven't gone to the system by now, their plan is to eventually implement a conventional DMR system like most area public works agencies.

I've been scanning nearly 30 years and SDS-100 was very confusing in the beginning. Now that I have (sort) of gotten use to it, its a very good radio for scanning digital Trunked Radio Systems. Strangely enough, It's been disappointing on the analog reception front.

As for your original post, like post #4 said, make sure all of the service types are enabled for public safety. As a matter of fact, I usually just have them all enabled (Aircraft, Business, Corrections, Etc). If you imported the system from RadioReference, then make sure you selected the Green Bay talkgroups. If you are receiving Brown County So and County Fire, then you should be receiving Green Bay.

Tim

I’m totally new to this level of scanning, and as a former MI. Deputy Sheriff I enjoy (and miss) knowing what’s going on in the LEO world. But the lack of GBPD is frustrating. I’ve tried all suggestions you good people have given, but no luck yet. I will continue all suggestions and keep bugging the place I purchased this scanner. Just nice to know there are decent people out there trying to help me out. Thanks!

reedmschultz

Premium Subscriber
There is definitely a learning curve on these new scanners so don't get too discouraged. If you're using the pre-programmed frequencies and entering in your zip code to scan, it could be based on a setting related to your location . The SIREN system consists of Brown County, City of Green Bay, Ashwaubenon, and De Pere. By having the SIREN system active on the scanner, you should be able to hear all of those agencies when scanning. Are you located in Brown County? Can you hear anything from Outagamie County, this may determine if it's something with a location setting, if you are hearing things only within a certain radius of where you live? Sentinel is a pretty slick tool for managing systems and if you look around Forums and Youtube, there are some pretty helpful links to assist in learning how to program the scanner. I've had a BCD436HP for a number of years now and it works great in our area.

D5422

Premium Subscriber
There is definitely a learning curve on these new scanners so don't get too discouraged. If you're using the pre-programmed frequencies and entering in your zip code to scan, it could be based on a setting related to your location . The SIREN system consists of Brown County, City of Green Bay, Ashwaubenon, and De Pere. By having the SIREN system active on the scanner, you should be able to hear all of those agencies when scanning. Are you located in Brown County? Can you hear anything from Outagamie County, this may determine if it's something with a location setting, if you are hearing things only within a certain radius of where you live? Sentinel is a pretty slick tool for managing systems and if you look around Forums and Youtube, there are some pretty helpful links to assist in learning how to program the scanner. I've had a BCD436HP for a number of years now and it works great in our area.

Thanks for your help! I am in Brown, but don’t have Outagamie Co. programmed in and have no bleed over from them. I’m reading and on YouTube often. Learning a little by the day...maybe. Now, for some unknown reason I can no longer turn on or off the departments I had them program in. I also checked my Favorites List and can’t turn on or off from that location either??

Status
Not open for further replies.