The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

zachgallop

Personally, I do not think Karns VFD will use encryption anytime soon minus admin or it was called supervisor the other day. Was not scanning to catch the Talkgroup number to confirm. The only one I know for sure is named Dispatch and the rest was posted by somebody else. 10676 I did hear being used for Training by Karns and I think Rural Metro E215 was on it. 10674 I also heard test tones on, besides that I have not heard the others yet.They would have to reprogram every agency in Knox County manually that has their channel in their radios, if they used started using encryption. They are the type of agency that had 154.190 posted on their website as their dispatch frequency. Also I had heard Rescue and AMR/Rural Metro are not changing over for full time. They do have talkgroups. Rescue has TACN portables for their Dive Team. AMR special event ambulances use TACN for UT Football Games. Seymour has got new APX, does anybody know what bands they are or only VHF? I have noticed Karns has been having more issues getting out on the radio.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Hey Zach. .. With the APX Family it all depends on the model and version of that model as to frequency band capability. For instance: APX8000 Series is All Band and does VHF High, UHF, and 700/800 all in one package. My APX6000XE is single band running on 700/800 while the APX7000 is usually set up dual band. Which can split VHF High-700/800, UHF-VHF High, UHF -700/800 etc....

zachgallop

Hey Zach. .. With the APX Family it all depends on the model and version of that model as to frequency band capability. For instance: APX8000 Series is All Band and does VHF High, UHF, and 700/800 all in one package. My APX6000XE is single band running on 700/800 while the APX7000 is usually set up dual band. Which can split VHF High-700/800, UHF-VHF High, UHF -700/800 etc....

Yeah I know. Just checking to see if anybody knew what model and version their APX? Like if anybody knew. Just seeing if they are TACN capable but I am sure they will likely not go TACN unless Sevier county goes TACN, even then they probably not. Really wish County Fire, AMR, and Rescue would go TACN, considering since portable reception is sucky. Karns has had great coverage on their vhf, honestly think TACN has worse coverage than their vhf in that area. Schools seem to have issues getting out but that has always been an issue. Karns High seems like a complete dead spot for a lot of it. Next time I am around school security division radios and I hear I will see what schools they are having issues. Writing down how many times they have to repeat last unit...I can not copy your radio. They seem to get out just very "digital". Also some areas of the county MED102 is completely dead for portable reception especially west Knox. Walmart in Turkey Creek they can not get out on the radio and it right below black road. Even Tac2 has issues out west and it is on black road. But I think as far as county fire, rescue, and Ems..they could really benefit more being on TACN.

Last edited:

zachgallop

Bad news UTPD has now changed over I have been told. They are encrypted and Phase II.UTPD brick which I put in the database will still be patched during events. Not sure if that means for football. They usually work off dispatch with KCSO & BCSO and CSO are patched to events. 10600, 10601, and 10605 have been popping up. 10600 is likely dispatch. 10601 might be talkaround and 10605 is probably events. KFD dispatch is still patched to legacy.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
600 UTP DISP.
601 UTP CAR1
602 UTP OPS1/TAC1
603 UTP OPS2/INV1
604 UTP OPS3/LESS
605 UTP OPS4/EVENTS
Unless something changed.

zachgallop

Thank you! Also 10636 has been now identified as Arson. KFD Dispatch said “16ALPHA you’re still on arson you advised AMR what about AMR”

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
And that goes away soon. The analog will convert fully by spring and be shut off.

zachgallop

Knoxville Area Transit, Community Action Comitee, and I am unsure onCounty highway are still on the old system.All public safety that was on the analog system has now changed over with the addition of Karns. Was told UTPD was not encrypting their channels like schools was not supposed to be but things of course change. Honestly, I think KVFD should simulcast their dispatch talkgroup on TAC4 so AMR can communicate with them more easily because every EMS run they switch to tac4. Karns can still talk to them but AMR and others can not easily communicate with Karns. Rescue also goes to TAC4 when responding to an incident in Karns.Rural metros company dispatchers have to communicate with KFD/911 dispatch and the other dispatchers via intercom, they do not even have access to dispatch to dispatch. KFD 911 section is on the complete opposite side of the room from rural metro/amr own dispatchers. School Division Patrol did not receive Karns FD channels in their portables when they got them reprogrammed to have KPD, KFD, and KCSO.

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Whacked since Rural Metro is AMR LOL. And they run most of county fire. Lol.

zachgallop

Yes I am aware they are the same company. I was stating AMR/Rural Metro has their own dispatchers and call processers that are not employed by 911. Rural Metro/AMR use to dispatch Karns, along with Seymour VFD and Rescue. Now the two 911 dispatchers that work KFD channels on the other side of the room dispatches Karns VFD since they changed over to TACN. Since Rural Metro Dispatch does not have the equipment to do that they can no longer dispatch Karns. They have one little mini console for the trunking system, they still have old Zetron dispatch consoles for their stuff. Here is a pic of part of rural metro/amr setup. The front right hand section of the room is KFD dispatch area, next KPD Dispatch, KCSO Dispatchers, and Rural Metro/AMR has the whole back of the room with their dispatchers and call processers. EOC is behind that. 911 call processers are on the left side. So I was saying communication is difficult between AMR/Rural Metro & Rescue and Karns now. Since Karns does not really run calls with KFD unless they are at school then Karns always changed over to talk to KFD on Events, so I do not see it as a good choice going to TACN full time unless Rural Metro AMR changed & Rescue.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    466.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

zachgallop

Yes I am aware they are the same company. I was stating AMR/Rural Metro has their own dispatchers and call processers that are not employed by 911. Rural Metro/AMR use to dispatch Karns, along with Seymour VFD and Rescue. Now the two 911 dispatchers that work KFD channels on the other side of the room dispatches Karns VFD since they changed over to TACN. Since Rural Metro Dispatch does not have the equipment to do that they can no longer dispatch Karns. They have one little mini console for the trunking system, they still have old Zetron dispatch consoles for their stuff. Here is a pic of part of rural metro/amr setup. The front right hand section of the room is KFD dispatch area, next KPD Dispatch, KCSO Dispatchers, and Rural Metro/AMR has the whole back of the room with their dispatchers and call processers. EOC is behind that. 911 call processers are on the left side. So I was saying communication is difficult between AMR/Rural Metro & Rescue and Karns now. Since Karns does not really run calls with KFD unless they are at school then Karns always changed over to talk to KFD on Events, so I do not see it as a good choice going to TACN full time unless Rural Metro AMR changed & Rescue.

zachgallop

Blount County has been having TACN issues since yesterday. The Broadway Radio site link or something went down. They have been using Centerville and look rock. It seems to be up again.Blount Comm Center is paging Maryville FD and Alcoa FD for test pages on TACN right now. Uhf has been used off and on for primary & backup. All users were told to keep private off multiple times since last night.

xlr8

Premium Subscriber
RE: TACN Site Primary Control Channels

It's been a good long while since I've updated the programming on my 436 and I have noticed that on several of the TACN sites close by me, that they now have two (2) Primary Control Channels listed in RED in the RR database. Up until now, I typically just load only the single control channel to speed up scanning.

Am I now supposed to load both control channels per site? Also, will one channel be stronger in reception strength than the other? For sites with two primary control channels, does the agency switch back and forth between the two or do they usually just stick with one?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks in advance for answers/guidance.

CFD288

Hi CFDQ1.....I think Chatt Simulcast is down. Here in Cleveland not hearing anything except an occasional scratchy transmission on the old Motorola SmartZone system....receiving THP Cookeville fine on the TACN Hinch Mtn site. I was wondering if anyone else was having reception problems.

Scotty

NathanBrazil

Hi Admin,
The NAC for this system may have changed when it went to simulcast a year or more ago.
According to my OP25 software the NAC is now 0xa, WACN is still 0x926E0.
The rest of the information is correct as far as I can tell.
It is not encrypted, and although "officially" still on track to move to Phase II, there is no visible movement in that direction. I have spoken to local politicians who have expressed significant opposition to and frankly, no need for Phase II. Scanning is still alive and well in Cumberland County.

System Name:Location:County:System Type:System Voice:Last Updated:
Cumberland County Public Safety
Crossville, TN
Cumberland
Project 25 Phase I
APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
August 22, 2017, 10:59 pm (Added Talkgroup 500 Fire / EMS)

System ID List

System ID WACN
C00 926E0

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
Just found a new 800MHZ site in the TN towers neighbors lists site 1-91 CC 852.45000 showing failed current looks like there's a county about to get on

zachgallop

New Knox Talkgroups for TACN. Seems to be Knoxville Area Transit, they have switching out their radios the last two weeks. Some buses and their vans are still on analog, some are now on TACN. 10740 seems to be KAT Channel 1 with the buses and 10741 seems to be their Vans. Both Phase II TDMA. Also heard mention of their channel 4 but did not catch it. Last time I heard county highway recently they are still on legacy.