Newtown PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt853

Is Manchester recent? Because I used to hear them all the time not that long ago.

Such high crime in towns like Greenwich eh?
It sucks especially since the last police chief, I think back in 2010 or 2011, made a point of saying we're not going to encrypt and have no interest in doing so after they went digital. Then a few years later bam encryption and total radio silence, my guess when a new chief took over. Once in a while you hear a conversation from a wayward radio that doesn't have encryption or at least doesn't have it turned on, but that's almost never from a patrol unit. And they blow so much money on radio systems in Greenwich it's ridiculous like many other towns. First the jump to trunking, then digital, then multiple towers, then whole new systems. I don't understand how radio systems used to adequately serve for decades, and now it seems like towns are constantly tinkering and trying to put something new in every few years just to replicate a system with the type of coverage, privacy, and reliability that the average $100 cell phone has. Why don't they just use the cellular network which will always work better than whatever the local PD can afford to build? Southwest Connecticut is the worst for encryption because all of the towns have money to burn, and want to buy the best of the best with all the bells and whistles.

55engine

Premium Subscriber
I agree they should take that money and put it into SCHOOLS better security never mind encryption we are taxpayers we should be allowed to monitor the police especially on the main DISPATCH channel

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Maybe some day this trend will reverse. We have a right to know.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
This is why I can’t bring myself to spend the $$$ on the SDS100. As much as I love to get it, more and more departments are going encrypted.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
This is why I can’t bring myself to spend the $$$ on the SDS100. As much as I love to get it, more and more departments are going encrypted.

I guess it depends on where you are that determines how many departments around you are encrypted, open, or reversing from encrypted to open.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber

I just received an sds100 after talking about it forever. I havent had a chance to set all my channels yet, so we will see.

55engine

Premium Subscriber
Hate to tell you this but Manchester never used encryption on channel 1 maybe once or twice but it’s been in the clear as far as I know from day one it was an article about channel ones that open so the public can still monitor them Now channel 2 is encrypted but they don’t use channel to that much same thing at Glastonbury channel 1 is in the clear they used to use the encryption I wish BRISTOL would use channel 1 in the clear

simswolf

Good evening, I have been commuting through Newtown for the last 30 years. During commutes I have had a portable scanner for about the last 25 years. I used to hear Newtown PD almost everyday. Some time during my travels they went silent. This past March I finally upgraded to an SDS100. Now I hear them from time to time, but not to often. Since my commute varies due to "winter work" I would like to guess the are not using encryption when they assume nobody is listening.

mkt853

Look up your states laws on this, they are very open about a lot of things. I have not seen any change in the last 10 years to exempt radio transmissions.
It would be helpful if you could be a little more specific. Encrypting law enforcement radio transmissions does not violate the law. You just can't listen in real time for free anymore. You can go down to the local police station and request an edited version of their radio traffic for a fee. I would anticipate this is the way of the future, and there's not much any one can do about it other than find other things to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.