Bucks county (scanner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Unication G5 can do it... The uniden SDS100 can as well

radio3353

Also the Unication G4 if you don't need the VHF/UHF capabilities of the G5. It will save you some $. I use the G4 and get perfect copy of the Bucks system. The Unication products are not scanners per se.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So I see that you live in Levittown so you would be monitoring fire East and south and zones 1 2 3 + 8.

I live in Bristol borough and monitor Zone 1 2 3 and 8. The only thing that works good for me is my Motorola apx 7000. I do have the SDS 100 and I am very disappointed with the lower part of the county because of a lot of missed Transmissions. I've done everything I could possibly do including ignoring the NAC which there are several of.

I use the SDS 100 at home in a fixed position with a system hold time of 255 seconds and monitor secondary channels. Because of the long hold time I can't scan anything else. Using the long hold time locks the radio on the nearest Tower for 4 minutes until it blinks and reacquires.

I can't use it mobile or portable because I would want Zone 1 and the borough Channel which is critical and is a UHF repeater Channel that's used as a private car to car.

Some will say the SDS 100 works great in Bucks County. I thought it did too until I put it up against the Motorola and realized I was missing whole conversations. The answer to your question is... most people use the G4 or G5 unication radio for Bucks County P2. I use the apx 7000 because I like the super loud volume the unication or SDS 100 doesn't have.

Hope this helps you... Bob.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PS... I just wanted to point out that you do not need an expensive professional subscriber radio. The unication G4 G5 is excellent on the Bucks County P2 system. I don't own one but my friend does and it is a professional quality Tool as opposed to the SDS 100 that is a toy.

Murenovich

Not the Flatlands, Not the Mountains in NJ
PS... I just wanted to point out that you do not need an expensive professional subscriber radio. The unication G4 G5 is excellent on the Bucks County P2 system. I don't own one but my friend does and it is a professional quality Tool as opposed to the SDS 100 that is a toy.

Unless you're using it in an official capacity that G4/G5 is still a "toy" as much as the SDS is still a "toy". Just because something isn't used in an official capacity doesn't mean its a toy. The SDS is a pretty impressive piece of equipment and for scanning purposes it blows away the G4/G5 in multiple ways including Bang for your buck, being able to hold on a specific channel or TG, being able to scan as many systems as anyone could want on any band and much easier programming. I'm not saying the G4 more specifically the G5 aren't great devices because they are but they are just as a much of a "toy" as an SDS.

That being said you can use any Phase 2 capable scanner and pick up the new Bucks System. It comes in great on my SDS when im in the area as well as my 436HP.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Actually this is off topic but trying to help the Op and specifically answering his question as a regular listener of the system and living very close to where he lives.

This is not a pi**ing match about how great the SDS 100 is. You have dozens of threads where you have lots of company and you can go and talk to them.

With this difficult system it is about location. It is a single site multi tower system. I'm in between the thiokol, the Bensalem and falls towers. The SDS 100 misses transmissions. The x36 misses even more. My professional opinion is this Levittown resident who's inquiring will also be disappointed with the SDS 100. He is asking, I'm sure, already knowing that the x 36 does not work well his location. Why do you think they had to develop an SDS 100?

I'm glad your radio works good but as you can see by some of the other responses from regular listeners they prefer the unication radio in this particular application. They must know something. It feels more solid and less fragile but that's my opinion which I'm entitled to just like you are entitled to yours.

Just trying to help the o p from making a costly mistake. I do use my radios in a professional manner for employment and that is why I use an apx 7000. I'm a hobbyist also as I started when I was 11 and I just turned 65. One thing I can't afford in my job is... Missed Transmissions. As I said for some people in some locations the SDS 100 works for them in Bucks County. Glad you're one of them.

Last edited:

bailly2

if you don't have a g5 or sds, just another p25 scanner, the best thing for that simulcast distortion is put the stock antenna the scanner came with through a hole in the side of an empty paint can. ..im stuck between 2 towers. so i built a yagi antenna with coat hangers, there was some improvement, then someone recommended the paint can enclosure and transmissions come in perfectly clear

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You do understand if you are far away from a single site multiple tower system you are only locking on to the closest Tower to you.

If you are in Montgomery County you are going to have no problem with LSM in Bucks County. The problem is driving through multiple towers that are close to each other. You will pick up our system better in the next County then you will if you are in the county.

I'm sure you know that but I wanted to let people know that's why you will do better with our system being that far away in Lower Merion. We have had reports of many people in distant counties picking us up just fine. It's a strong system.

Also if you are in Mercer County reducing reception using the paint can you again have the same effect.

The problem we have in the lower part of the county is we are between thiokol Falls and Bensalem Towers that are relatively close to each other hence you have LSM that you are not dealing with in surrounding counties.

Again I know both you guys know this but I just wanted people who don't understand that to know. Unfortunately the paint can doesn't work when you are the same distance from each Tower.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Bailley, my guess is you are between Falls and Bensalem Towers and with the paint can you are locking on to Bensalem. Just a guess. I think you are in Hamilton, NJ. I remember you when Dan and I were just discovering the nxnd frequencies for Trenton and listening on DSD on our laptops mounted in the car. Uniden nxnd works terrific on x 36 or SDS.

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
As has been stated, the key here is location, location, location. Personally, when I worked up in Bucks often, I used to bring my 436 with me and it had a terrible time tracking the system while I was mobile throughout the county. It may work wonderfully in some stationary locations. But, it sure fell short for me...so much so that i still have not pulled the trigger on an SDS. I've considered it a few times based on local reports of successes, but it is a pain in the butt to drop that much cash for mixed or poor results.

byndhlptom

"It is a single site multi tower system"

it's that a contradictory statement???

I've heard of single site, multiple site with simulcast(same frequencies at each site), and multiple site w/ different frequencies per site

$.02

crazyboy

"It is a single site multi tower system"

it's that a contradictory statement???

I've heard of single site, multiple site with simulcast(same frequencies at each site), and multiple site w/ different frequencies per site

$.02

Simulcast from multiple towers is technically one site as far as the system goes. You can see this in the database, site 001 is listed with the frequencies. So the simulcast would be site 001, and each tower would be a sub site under that.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, you are correct. Location location location. It can even be just a few blocks that makes a difference. Results are going to vary for everybody.

I guess the way to look at it as far as site and tower... You only have one site that you can alter in the radio. You can't lock one tower out over another, they all broadcast the same thing your radio is calling for at the same time hence... LSM. That's why the radio works so well in Lower Marion, It is a powerful system which doesn't help us as we drive around in between towers.

My actual goal was to help the op. I don't want to see people waste huge amounts of money on something they will be disappointed with. If you're going to spend the money then buy what is going to really work. The two professional alternatives unication and Motorola work in Bucks County wherever you go including basements and stairwells. Extensive testing was performed to eliminate dead spots. Not everyone can afford a Motorola but the G4 and G5 which are professional pagers do work. You would have to use another radio for the systems and frequencies it does not cover.

If anyone does have an SDS 100 or a Uniden P2 scanner there are things you can do and I would be happy to share that regarding NAC ignore as the system has several NAC codes and use of system hold times that will help with but not solve reception problems.
Bailley's paint can set up could work depending on your location between the towers.

To the original poster I hope this helps. Everybody contributed a lot of information for you. You are probably closest to the thiokol tower near the county building across from the Levittown Library.

radio3353

Bailley's paint can set up could work depending on your location between the towers.

Except obviously useless for mobile application. I may get a tail by security if I walk thru Target with a paint can on my belt :unsure:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes sir I agree but I've heard from people like Bailley it does work depending on location to towers in a fixed location. I remember all the fighting on this site in 2014 + 15 about LSM. I remember saying if the scanner companies do not make an LSM capable radio they're going to go out of business. Everyone was in denial because there was very few P2 systems. I was involved with Philly DJ Dan in making the first P2 YouTube video called P2 shootout.

Sometimes corporate loyalty to a brand which I've never understood keeps people from seeing or admitting reality. I am happy for those that that the SDS works good for them.

You were smart not to pull the trigger. You had good instincts on that. I've learned my lesson now too.

phillydjdan

The Unication pagers are designed for use by firefighters, so I would not call them a "toy". Their digital vocoder and receivers are still a thousand times better than an SDS100's. I don't know where you operate your scanner, but if you drive through Bucks with it you WILL experience dead spots, and LOTS of them. I would be willing to put money on it. The G4/G5 on the other hand? 100% reception anywhere in the county and well outside the county. I've got a lot of hours logged testing and comparing scanners, radios, pagers, etc and can tell you, for Bucks County and scanner is NOT your answer

Status
Not open for further replies.