TRX-100 TRX-200 prototype images?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I'm willing to wait for a well tested and good working product. I have had good luck with my TRX-1.
I wish both manufactures good luck with their new products.

Hooligan

Well the writing is on the wall for Whistler. Scary that almost a year later they can't keep up to the plate on radio technology and give some pictures or specs. Ouch. Oh and BTW whats the point of posting pictures of Whistlers booth with her just standing there with nothing to show?

How DARE Whistler not treat scanner products like cars, coming out with new models every year, and appease you by providing your Royal Highness with pictures & specs on-demand?! In contrast, I'm sure upon receipt of your Royal order, unident immediately gave you specs & pretty pictures of the SOS200 several months ago!

The point of posting the picture with nothing to show was a (successful) attempt to enrich the lives of the professional scanner pundits here by providing them yet-another excuse to share their great, soothing words wisdom with the masses -- providing us with an amusing intermission until lazy ol' Whistler is ready to provide us with facts.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely! If you're annoyed that Whistler chooses not to be a participant in your imaginary 'scanner race,' and --unlike unident-- won't rush high-end projects to the market before they're truly ready and you are emotionally-disturbed at such reality, by all means, buy the SOS100 (& STFU).

I did buy the SDS 100 and intend to buy the 200 and is the STFU the new Home Patrol 3 type radio or is still the SDS 500?

Hooligan

For confirmation, did a Whistler rep say 2Q19? That's not your own estimate, correct? If I'm not mistaken, the latest projection for release from Whistler up until now was Qtr 1.

All-other joking & harassment aside, yes, 2nd Quarter 2019 is what I was told, and in-fact was about the only 'hard' info I was given. I did not harass them with questions or try to 'fish' with comments/suggestions -- this is CES where we're supposed to be professionals, not the Dayton Hamvention where we're slobbery, smelly radio-geeks with poor social-skills. The LSM issue has been ingrained into their psyche for at-least a year or two, as-is the suggestion (demand!) that the new high-end product(s) have Bluetooth and or WiFi. As for timelines, my impression is that Whistler is only in competition with Whistler -- they're not going to rush a product just because some of the scanner-geeks (my term...) are whining.

In exploring other areas of CES at the Las Vegas Convention Center yesterday, I didn't see anything new & exciting. Midland sure has some cool looking little GMRS radios, but I think it was the same models on-display last year. Numerous 3G/4G LTE Push To Talk over Cellular smartpone devices, one chinese company had bulky, crappy-looking UHF radios (GMRS and/or FRS I think) that could pair to your smartphone in order to
send location & text messages, etc. via the UHF circuit, but that's about all I saw in-terms of traditional radio stuff during 6.8 miles of walking, and the LVCC venue (CES occupies several different locations in Vegas) is where most of the 'radio' stuff should be.

No signs of unident, as-usual.

CQ

...-- this is CES where we're supposed to be professionals, not the Dayton Hamvention where we're slobbery, smelly radio-geeks with poor social-skills.

Don't talk about the trolls that live in the Politics forum like that. :sick:

No signs of unident, as-usual.
Because they actually have the next product being revealed mañana.

There you go fanbois, nothing to see here...

Hiding the same boxes they'll recycle for the next wave of reused hardware...again.

In "development" fall of last year, more info Q1'19 and now Q2 for more details. Maybe you'll have time to save up for next Christmas' vapeware.

Time to sign over your tax refunds for the SDS-200 with pre-orders mañana.

:ROFLMAO:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If you guys don't mind I could use some clarification from somebody who has this sorted out. The announcement a while ago by WW that Whistler was developing an LSM capable scanner that release has been delayed but pending and last night we heard possible release Q219 doesn't actually exist yet? Is it just a twinkle in someone's eye that they're taking suggestions and recommendations for which means they have not developed a LSM capable scanner for a late 2018 early 2019 release and it was just a ruse?

Or... are the radios made sitting in boxes like the one we saw at the show and they are just trying to perfect it and test it and even though there have been delays they are still preparing to release it like we've all been waiting for.

Which one is it. We have all been waiting for this scanner accepting official delays with the idea it was about to hit the market and give us an alternative to the competitor.

Please don't tell me that WW official announcement that the radio was being developed and more recent official announcement last year that there was a delay in release till 2019 q1 was just made up stuff... thanks.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Do you really believe that Whistler is out in left field regarding the scanner market and has no clue what users want?
Absolutely! If you're annoyed that Whistler chooses not to be a participant in your imaginary 'scanner race,' and --unlike unident-- won't rush high-end projects to the market before they're truly ready and you are emotionally-disturbed at such reality, by all means, buy the SOS100 (& STFU).

Whistler are no different than Uniden, except Whistler has no clue what scanner users want. They released the TRX-2 without any ways of entering a frequency and listen. Things like a single search range, that have limited use, seems very odd and other little things where added and changed after the release when users complained about lacking features. Many features and options seems to have been done half way and then development stopped as if they did not know how the users actually whould use them, or they run out of time and/or money.

/Ubbe

milcom_chaser

Whistler are no different than Uniden, except Whistler has no clue what scanner users want. They released the TRX-2 without any ways of entering a frequency and listen. Things like a single search range, that have limited use, seems very odd and other little things where added and changed after the release when users complained about lacking features. Many features and options seems to have been done half way and then development stopped as if they did not know how the users actually whould use them, or they run out of time and/or money.

/Ubbe
Or they lack a software development TEAM.

milcom_chaser

Whistlers plan is to give you for FREE what the competition charges extra for, by designing the inside to fit in existing housing is a HUGE savings to whistler and allows the user to reuse cases. The main thing is Whistler gets the electronics right and learns from the past complaints with the Trx series reception for simulcast and they learn from the sds100 poor analog reception, heat problems and poor battery life.
Whistler's don't actual track trunk. Your paying extra from the other manufacture to actually have that feature...

allend

Premium Subscriber
I think they lack a development team. This market has narrowed so much that there isn't enough people out there in the world that know this industry and developing scanners

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So I'm so confused here. WW made an official announcement a while ago that Whistler was developing an LSM capable radio. We had another official announcement that it was scheduled for release 2019 Q1 and there's The Unofficial comments about delayed till Q2.

Am I hearing now that there is no radio? We've been waiting for it and planning for it. This was all a ruse? There is no radio that they're getting ready to release?

allend

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they have a radio and they are teasing us and keeping the hype up. But who knows. It would be great if we are all caught off guard but I think we can't hold our breath. If Uniden shows up to the plate and takes market share then I am not sure how Whistler will be able to survive in the scanner market. You always have to keep things in the pipeline and stay up with what customers are asking for.

I just think its so hard to make something that our hobby wants and make it perfect out of the box at a 100 percent. Also, sales are down so it must be hard to get funding for R & D to keep up with a division that is slowly dying if the cash flow is not there. Scanners are just a very niche market and it is narrowing at the years pass.

tumegpc

Unless Whistler is giving out free burgers, everyone will be at Uniden's booth to see the SDS200. Whistler might have themselves in a pickle. Let's just hope they can flip things around before it's too late.

fredva

Feed Provider
If we are talking about who's behind and who's leading in the scanner market, in my view, both Whistler and Uniden have been late in getting in getting an LSM-capable scanner on the market. People were complaining on RR about garbled transmissions from simulcast systems at least seven or eight years ago. And the number of simulcast systems has increased exponentially since then. It wasn't until after hobbyists began buying Unication pagers to get a good decode on simulcast systems that Uniden produced a scanner that was sold as LSM-capable.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
If you guys don't mind I could use some clarification from somebody who has this sorted out. The announcement a while ago by WW that Whistler was developing an LSM capable scanner that release has been delayed but pending and last night we heard possible release Q219 doesn't actually exist yet? Is it just a twinkle in someone's eye that they're taking suggestions and recommendations for which means they have not developed a LSM capable scanner for a late 2018 early 2019 release and it was just a ruse?

Or... are the radios made sitting in boxes like the one we saw at the show and they are just trying to perfect it and test it and even though there have been delays they are still preparing to release it like we've all been waiting for.

Which one is it. We have all been waiting for this scanner accepting official delays with the idea it was about to hit the market and give us an alternative to the competitor.

Please don't tell me that WW official announcement that the radio was being developed and more recent official announcement last year that there was a delay in release till 2019 q1 was just made up stuff... thanks.
There is no FCC listing for a new scanner from whistler, therefore there are no TRX-100 or 200's being manufactured or sitting in boxes. All they have is a concept.

DJ11DLN

I'll stay away from Whistler products. If it doesn't trunk track, I don't want it.
The present scanners don't trunk track DMR or NXDN trunked systems. They receive conventional DMR/NXDN and can somewhat follow a conversation on a TSYS of those flavors by treating them as conventional. They do trunk track P25, Moto, EDACS, LTR, etc etc.

And we have no idea what the capabilities on the new models will be.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just so I'm processing this right in May of 2018 WW made the big announcement that an LSM capable radio was being developed with a "launch" in Q4 2018. An official announcement changed that date to Q1 2019. Loyal fans have been sitting on the edge of their chairs with cash in their fists waiting for the release of the radios to their favorite vendors for purchase.

Now we are learning through leaks that there is no radios being made ready for release and it is only a concept that Whistler is looking for suggestions for?

Come on Whistler, somebody has some 'splaining to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.