How about this? From back to front on the top:
sCuPZe0.jpg

Width:
ShE2U1F.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR
Thanks. Can you also do top to bottom?

stantorres

a) 3.65 is low for DMR licensing.
b) You are mistaken in your understanding of what an open protocol is. See my previous post, quoted above. Also, see DMR Essentials Licensing Program - Motorola Solutions USA - Motorola Solutions
Here are the open specs, available from the DMR Association or ETSI. This is what Motorola has to use, or it isn't DMR and this is why other manufacturers can sell DMR radios other than Motorola, right?

Specifications

The DMR interface is defined by the following ETSI standards:

TS 102 361-1: Air interface protocol

TS 102 361-2: Voice and General services and facilities

TS 102 361-3: Data protocol

TS 102 361-4: Trunking protocol

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I think I said it was my opinion twice in that post. Just like my first post, which makes that 3 times. Not sure why people want to debate my personal opinion. Why don't you post an opinion of your own? Or better yet, explain why you think it's not $3.65. What makes you think $80 is a fair price?

I know DMR and NXDN are open protocol's. Open protocol's are ones where the technical specs are agreed upon by a standards organization and published. If that's the case, then Uniden gets the specs for free, writes their software, and there is no "licensing", making it a money grab. Which is their right to do. Taking those specs and writing the software takes time and money, so they recoup that effort be charging a fee, but I doubt they are paying anyone a license per unit, except maybe for vocoder software. The good vocoder software is not an open standard, I don't think.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

We have a tier III licencing agreement with Moto on this. We do pay licencing fees per unit with it unlocked.
Take a look at this here: DMR Essentials Licensing Program - Motorola Solutions USA - Motorola Solutions

*and Upman apparently gave all the relevant information before I could enter this post.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I believe we have fully answered why Uniden licenses DMR & NXDN and why other companies don't.
Let's please get back on the top of the SD200.
Any further off topic posts not directly related to the SDS200 will be deleted and warnings or infractions issued.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Tramagod

I believe we have fully answered why Uniden licenses DMR & NXDN and why other companies don't.
Let's please get back on the top of the SD200.
Any further off topic posts not directly related to the SDS200 will be deleted and warnings or infractions issued.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks Marshall, I apologize for going astray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The lack of any mention of it having WiFi capability is disappointing. Frankly, that's one of the best features of the 536.

I'm also baffled by the idea of putting the USB A and Ethernet ports on the front of this thing, when there is a ton of empty space on the back panel.

View attachment 67474

Ethernet port (RJ45) is on the rear. USB A port is on the front. Also looks like a USB micro on the rear. Perhaps a WiFi dongle could be attached, but I prefer the hard wired option personally.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'll probably be mounting this unit in my vehicle console... having access to the rear of the radio would require complete removal from the console. Yes, it is disappointing that it does not have WiFi or bluetooth for that matter.

Or a remote head like 996 had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garys

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of good comments and a lot of things to be replied to. I have two tabs open and am reading through on the other tab before I comment.

WiFi Ethernet Bridge - USB powered and no USB port on the back. Also, does this mean it will work with Siren? Then there is the cost of buying another piece of hardware to work with the scanner. Apparently the Ethernet connector can also be used to stream data.

I think Uniden missed out by not building it with a remote head. My 2006 Tundra has room to mount this, barely, but if I were to buy a newer truck of most any brand, it probably wouldn't fit. Cars are even worse. Hopefully, they have something up their corporate sleeve.

I can't quite tell from Marshall's picture, is the mounting bracket the same as the 536HP or taller to accommodate the new scanner.

I'll probably end up spending more time configuring the display than programming the scanner. Actually, since I can probably use most of my x36HP programming, that part should be straight forward.

A Sharpie can dim down any overly bright LEDs. I just don't suggest using it on the main screen.

Bob550 summed up my thoughts on people whinging about the "added price" for DMR and NXDN.

I don't see anyone holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to buy or buy and upgrade. If like your scanner that does "fake" DMR and NXDN, you can keep you scanner that does "fake" DMR and NXDN.

"Open protocol means that anyone can license the technology. It does not mean anyone can use the technology for free. If you want to use the technology, the owner is required to license it to you on an equitable basis with other licensees. If you use the technology without paying the licensing fee, then you are stealing the technology."

"Open Source" versus "Open Standard".

The RH 96 head was a good concept with flawed execution. People complained about it endlessly and few were sold. Only when it was discontinued did it become popular. Siren is similar in being a great concept, but updates have been few and far between. It would be ideal for use where people are going to have to mount their SDS200 out of their direct reach. I hope Uniden will do something about that. Yeah, I've mentioned this twice, because it's that important.

I hope the manual is available soon, I'd like to take a look at it.

Since I don't have a SDS 100, I have to ask. Is the memory structure identical to the xs6HP scanners? One thing I like about the XT scanners was that I could tie trunked sites to a start up key. That was lost with the x36HP and I think a real loss.

I'm on the fence between wanting to pre order from The Ham Shack at the intro price and waiting for unhappy early adopters to sell. ;)

There is a lot to like in this scanner, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.