SDS200 Archived Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Looks nice but I'm not buying. I always wait a bit on new products, besides I'm shopping for a new bicycle anyway.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Looks nice but I'm not buying. I always wait a bit on new products

I'm in the same boat - I'm a consumer, not a tester. I want to buy a product that works 100% amd not need to wait for firmware revisions or repairsm. I'll probably wait six months until many many SDS200's have already rolled off the assembly line and all the production issues are worked out.

WeBeCinYa

I use the siren app nightly to listen to my 536 throughout the house with no issues, so that would be a drawback for me unless they plan to incorporate it somehow down the road for the 200. I am not seeing any compelling reasons to buy immediately besides a new look and color screen. I bet if I closed my eyes they would sound the same...no simulcast issues here.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
It wasn’t included with the 536 so why would it be included with the SDS200?
He was referring to the 885, not the 536. The 885 includes a GPS puck. It appears that the SDS200 uses the same puck, but no mention if the puck is included.

W5RGP

He was referring to the 885, not the 536. The 885 includes a GPS puck. It appears that the SDS200 uses the same puck, but no mention if the puck is included.

Yep and I can’t find that gps puck for sale anywhere by itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peerlessk

Reading but haven’t found anything about the enhancements? What are they other than the notable face features and bigger screen? Is there a thread someone could link me too ?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Can't explain why it didn't work, but I'm using a fully updated Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 running Win 10 Home 64bit, and the most recent Chrome browser. Chrome could not complete the transaction.
Well I am not sure about if the credit card portion gets charged immediately but I purchased one and used the Paypal link and got charged the full amount. I guess I paid for something I will not receive for a while. I am okay with it as long as I am on top of the list to receive one first.

Paypal is an indirect third party immediate debit from you bank account. The merchant has no control over that aspect of Paypal payments. TBH, I would rather pay via a credit card that has certain consumer credit protections, and some issuers have additional purchase protections as well (this is not to say that Paypal doesn't have any protections.)

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
On the topic of why I wanted to see the manual:

- Interested in how the Ethernet functions. So many questions here; does it appear as a device on your network and can you access its "drive" (storage) all the time, thru Windows Explorer, even when it is operating? A "live" video showed someone running commands over eth from a computer. Is that just a dumb terminal program like putty or are we getting some semblance of a user interface? I would imagine the file transfer of both recordings and programming data is much faster over eth than it is over USB1.1 (or whatever USB level all older Uniden USB scanners have used).

- Also intrigued by the USB ports on front and in back. Two micro-USB "in" and one USB A "out". The only thing I've seen commented on that so far is that the A port is "for future expansion". I have seen others comment that the micro-USB port is present on the SDS100 as a secondary port and that someone theorized it was for I/Q-out, but that nobody knew for sure.

- Lastly curious on what GPS units are compatible. Is an RJ11-terminated device common? I haven't seen that kind of thing before, most of mine are either 9-pin serial or bare wires.

I'm hoping it will function as a server to distribute audio and text over the LAN and beyond, and and allow for remote administration.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I use the siren app nightly to listen to my 536 throughout the house with no issues, so that would be a drawback for me unless they plan to incorporate it somehow down the road for the 200. I am not seeing any compelling reasons to buy immediately besides a new look and color screen. I bet if I closed my eyes they would sound the same...no simulcast issues here.
You could use Siren - connect with wired Ethernet, or buy a cheap wi-fi adapter.

Works with siren-audio only VLC or similar. Proscan also. In short anything, the 536 do with WIFi

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I would guess internet connection. Who wants a LAN cable on the front! EWWW
RJ45 = Ethernet
RJ11 = something other than Ethernet (GPS in this case, as noted a few times in this thread)

And technically that is an RJ14 jack on the back of the SDS200, not RJ11. RJ14 is 6P4C (6 positions, 4 connectors), which that jack clearly is, while RJ11 is 6P2C. RJ45 for Ethernet is 8P8C, in case you were wondering.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
It's comical (sarcasm) how some people comment negatively about a feature when they don't even have a clue what the feature is for...and, I would suspect, they will use said feature if and when they purchase the unit!

Status
Not open for further replies.