SDS200 Archived Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen_Fire

But you can add DMR and ProVoice to a P25 radio, apparently, but NXDN is a bridge too far?

Meh, cash-squeezing. Also, that cheap RJ11 GPS unit was made for the Bear Tracker 885, as no trucker is going to pay an extra $100 for a GPS unit for their CB radio, and I guess it carried over to this radio.

Because who in their right mind is going to pay $100 for the BC-GPSK on top of a $700 scanner?

mancow

Database Admin
But you can add DMR and ProVoice to a P25 radio, apparently, but NXDN is a bridge too far?

Meh, cash-squeezing. Also, that cheap RJ11 GPS unit was made for the Bear Tracker 885, as no trucker is going to pay an extra $100 for a GPS unit for their CB radio, and I guess it carried over to this radio.

Because who in their right mind is going to pay $100 for the BC-GPSK on top of a $700 scanner?

Not I, I'll install my own internally.

Drachen_Fire

I mean, not that the radio isn't nice. It definitely seems nice. This just smells like Uniden once again abandoning previous users and nailing new users with more proprietary connectors and accessories.

Truth be told, if I get an older used SUV for family use around here (definite possibility), I'm going to put some form of scanner in it. It'll probably be a Bear Tracker 885, though.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
How is the audio external 3.5mm output speaker power? Does this require an amplified speaker for mobile use?

Paul

Last edited:

Ubbe

IMO just as loud & clear as a 536 or 996 series.

Oh no! The 536 has one of the worse audio I've heard from a scanners internal speaker. It's pretty much useless with it's lack of treble and got a muffled non distinct sound quality. The SDS200 has the same kind of speaker sound?

/Ubbe

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
It's (436/536) not just the speaker, the internal audio processing is very bass heavy, speaker or headphone out is the same muffled EQ.

Paul

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The other point is they do not know the difference between the X36 line and the SDS line. The SDS line works and will be a good addon to my 4 536's 4 996p2's my 436 and my SDS100 and still run circles around my TRX1 and TRX2:)

scanner_geek

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me how rugged it is ? Water wise, vibration etc...,,,Will it survive if coffee gets poured on it ?
The SDS100 has that JIS4 (IPX4) rating...How about the SDS200 ? It looks like the keyboard is a completely different style...is there a water resistant membrane on the back side ?

Will it hold up in a public safety enviorment ?

Tramagod

I think we should thank Jason Houk who was one of the beta testers for taking time out of his day to provide a live feed so we can all get a look at this new scanner in action. His SDS 100 videos swayed me into being one of the early adapters and have never regretted it and have remained in contact with him since my purchase. I fully expect firmware upgrades, Sentinel upgrades to follow shortly and the scanner should be out to the dealers and in our hands within a month. The size reminds me of some of the older crystal Bearcat scanners, but boy have things changed since those days! Well done Uniden!

Very well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
What is the point of people making posts about why they won't buy a radio that isn't even out yet?
LOL! Well, I'm not going to buy an SDS200 because:
1) It doesn't come in white
2) The squelch knob should have been placed above the volume knob
3) The scanner should sell for less than $300 USD
4) No database for Slovenia included
and finally,
5) The Klingon language pack should have been included at no extra cost.

So there!

woodpecker

What is the point of people making posts about why they won't buy a radio that isn't even out yet?

Same reason people post saying they will buy a radio that isn't out yet, its called discussion.

So is the waterfall mode shown in the video ever going to be realised on any of the SDS range or is it always going to be just a demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.