SDS200 Archived Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me how rugged it is ? Water wise, vibration etc...,,,Will it survive if coffee gets poured on it ?
The SDS100 has that JIS4 (IPX4) rating...How about the SDS200 ? It looks like the keyboard is a completely different style...is there a water resistant membrane on the back side ?

Will it hold up in a public safety enviorment ?

Speculating that the SDS200 was not built in a marine radio housing like the SDS100, thus is probably not JIS4 rated. And based on prior experience, these radios are consumer products built with consumer grade materials. It would not be rugged, like a Moto portable or mobile, nor should one expect it to be. I'd like to see it though....

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The USB-A Port can be used to power any device using 5v, cell phones, dash-cams, etc. It will charge the SDS-100.

Not sure if it will charge an SDS satisfactorily, which requires more power than typical USB ports. Hard to really know until the specs are released, but a standard USB 2.0 downstream port will deliver 500ma* per spec, which is not really enough power.

*if it is a charging downstream port, it delivers 1.5A per spec.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
Will the USB-A port support a WiFi dongle? I suppose not since they generally require software to work. OTOH, there are USB to RJ45 adapters that would allow programming from a laptop. And of course, I can do what I do with the 5s6HP in my truck, pull the micro SD card and programming it on my desktop.

There's fair amount of versatility built in to this scanner.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
As with any new scanner, this one, the SDS200 indeed has a lot of "bells and whistles"! The adjustable color screen on it and it's hand held SDS100 brother are quite impressive. The specs are also impressive. Also as for me, I am a bit cautious and will wait and see over the next 6 to 10 months to see what and how the initial "new" bugs in hardware, firmware and software develop and are addressed by Uniden.
Also I am very happy with my 436 and recently acquired "refurbished" 536 both having the latest firmware the NXDN and DMR add ins.

My experience both radios are working to my satisfaction and are a great tool assisting me here as a DB admin. for research of submissions local to me. So for me again, this new radio, I am not there yet.

However to those of you who have pre-ordered the SDS200, I wish you all great enjoyment and success with this new scanner and tool.
Please Don't break your family budget or go into credit card debt $$$!

Hopefully, with this new scanner and tool there will be a surge on new information and submissions to the RR Data Base!
Good Luck with the SDS200!

Thanks for reading.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Will the USB-A port support a WiFi dongle? I suppose not since they generally require software to work. OTOH, there are USB to RJ45 adapters that would allow programming from a laptop. And of course, I can do what I do with the 5s6HP in my truck, pull the micro SD card and programming it on my desktop.

There's fair amount of versatility built in to this scanner.

I am not interested in programming it but to be able to stream using vpn
with the Sirn app like I can with the bcd536 does. I was hoping that you could use a dongle like the bcd536 has and plug it the USB port A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think that the WiFi dongle on the 536HP had the firmware built into the scanner, so it wasn't an add on. I'm sure someone will give us the information on that at some point.

I am not interested in programming it but to be able to stream using vpn
with the Sirn app like I can with the bcd536 does. I was hoping that you could use a dongle like the bcd536 has and plug it the USB port A

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Also as for me, I am a bit cautious and will wait and see over the next 6 to 10 months to see what and how the initial "new" bugs in hardware, firmware and software develop and are addressed by Uniden.

I agree, I'm going to sit on the sideline with the SDS200 too. With the problems I had with my "early bird" SDS100 and having to send it to repair twice, and ending up with a replacement, I'm a bit gun shy about the SDS200. Don't get me wrong, my replacement SDS100 is working perfect, I'll just wait a while before buying. I'd also like to wait and see if Uniden releases an HP3 with SDS100/200 components.

With that said, congrats Uniden! The SDS200 is a great looking radio.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I think that the WiFi dongle on the 536HP had the firmware built into the scanner, so it wasn't an add on. I'm sure someone will give us the information on that at some point.

Good point. I will wait and see. I would love to order one today, but I must sell the 536 that I have listed here on the classified section on Radio Reference. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Peerlessk

Ordering question . Who’s the most reputable source for ordering the sds200? Is it more of a preference thing who you order it from ?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
ScannerMaster shouldn't have it listed as "in stock" on the status. I know in the description they state it is expected mid-February but in green it says "in stock". Seems this may have been discussed with the 100, too, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.