Yaesu: FTM-400XDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

So, I am thinking about replacing my Kenwood TM-V71A with the FTM-400XDR in the shack. However after reading through the owners manual, I noted it does not have two speaker inputs, but yet supposedly it is a dual receive radio....:(

My ID-5100 and TM-V71A both have two speaker inputs.....so I am kind of confused about the FTM-400XDR not having two inputs?

Are there any owners/users on here that can verify if a basic Y spliter cable can be used to remedy this or some other mod? If not it will be a deal breaker for me, as I am use-to being able to monitor my club repeater on one side of the radio and scanning all my other local repeaters on the other side of the radio.

Last edited:

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
You only need one speaker if you use the included adaptor. You adjust the volume for each band as you see fit. I have a 400 as well, and it is a nice fit for a base rig. Nice radio. However, the T/R relays they have inside it are a step back to 1960. Utter fail if you are trying to use APRS and the thing clicks all the time. What I mean is, every time you transmit, you will here a relay click inside the radio. Kind of annoying. I went with D710's for my vehicle radio. No Fusion, but I wanted a radio I can actually safely use while driving. Having a simple front panel button layout that allowed me to change settings while driving was more important. Just to change PL tones on the 400 is a PITA while driving, not safe.

KE0GXN

Thanks, I hear ya, but I like separating my speakers some to better distinguish the VFO that is active. Man, I just don't get why Yaesu did not allow for dual speaker inputs on this radio..... :confused:

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
The single jack is stereo output. It’s been awhile since I had mine installed because I changed vehicles, but if I recall correctly when I plugged an aux cord into my truck’s stereo system, A and B bands were left and right, with the truck volume acting as master and the volume controls on the radio control head working to set each one relative to the other. You may want to research that more, but that’s my recollection.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Y-cable works just fine. However, I could not find a cable that was 1/8" stereo plug to two mono inline sockets. I ended up buying a commonly found 1/8" stereo plug to two RCA plugs or sockets, don't recall which. I cut the RCA connection off and soldered up two mono inline sockets. Its almost like using two speakers one for each side of the radio is a secret. Its hinted around at but nothing concrete and certainly no easily found cable adaptor. Speakers are two Kenwood Communication speakers with 1/8" mono plug which I don't believe are in production anymore.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
...snip...
However, the T/R relays they have inside it are a step back to 1960. Utter fail if you are trying to use APRS and the thing clicks all the time. What I mean is, every time you transmit, you will here a relay click inside the radio.
...snip...

I can't imagine what you were hearing. Dead quite at home as a base setup and could only hear the micro-switch in the handmic.

mrweather

Have had my 400DXR since 2017 and am mostly happy with the radio. Only issue is in cold weather (below 35F) some sort of noise is generated in the radio which sounds like an open squelch (on frequencies with CTCSS engage the noise doesn't break through but you can see it on the signal meter). It happens on both receivers on every band. After the radio warms up the noise goes away.

I've read elsewhere that there may be an iffy solder connection that only shows up in cold temps, but I haven't found any concrete solution yet. My radio is out of warranty so sending it in to be fixed will cost $$. I can live with it for now. It isn't a problem in spring/summer/fall.

Other solution is relegating it to shack use. Then I'd have to buy another one for the car! :)

Also keep in mind Fusion is only on radio A. Radio B is analog-only.

KE0GXN

If you want an FTM-400DXR they are around $400 until the end of the month when the sale is over.

It will be awhile, got to get some OT scheduled at work. Just trying to get my ducks in a row and see if this radio will be a viable option for me. My club has a Fusion repeater among some others ones in my area.

Probably will go through Richard at MTC and work a trade for my Kenwood and some other excess items I have and pay the difference as there will be some accercories I will want to order with the radio as well.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Just checked my 400, no relay clicks. I find using the supplied adapter and a single speaker works fine, but simple enough to build a Y adapter if desired.

prcguy

Yes, you need to get your priorities in order. Buy the radio and accys now and deal with the repercussions later. You will be happier and it will all work out in the end.

It will be awhile, got to get some OT scheduled at work. Just trying to get my ducks in a row and see if this radio will be a viable option for me. My club has a Fusion repeater among some others ones in my area.

Probably will go through Richard at MTC and work a trade for my Kenwood and some other excess items I have and pay the difference as there will be some accercories I will want to order with the radio as well.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber

Make sure it’s the DXR version as the original XR had very poor GPS performance. For base station operation you can bypass the GPS and use a manually entered lat/long.

KE0GXN

Also keep in mind Fusion is only on radio A. Radio B is analog-only.

Interesting....

But I suspect, it will do analog on both sides, if need be right?

My current modus operandi with my other radios is to monitor my club analog repeater 24/7 on side whatever and scan all other analog repeaters on the other side.

KE0GXN

Yes, you need to get your priorities in order. Buy the radio and accys now and deal with the repercussions later. You will be happier and it will all work out in the end.

Not sure what you mean there PRC....?

I am a save the money first kind of guy, do extensive research on product in the meantime, then based on said research, eventually make purchase of product and suffer no repercussions later. :) ;)

prcguy

If its new and shiny and gets my attention I just buy it and worry if I can afford it later. That's how I live my life and I'm a happy guy.

Not sure what you mean there PRC....?

I am a save the money first kind of guy, do extensive research on product in the meantime, then based on said research, eventually make purchase of product and suffer no repercussions later. :) ;)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The 400XDR is a fun radio. I use it at home at the moment. I received many complements on the quality of my (analog) audio when I switched over to the Yaesu 400XDR from the D710.

Eventually a 400XDR will go in the vehicle, especially since Yaesu released the firmware update for the FT2DR allowing it to be a node directly, or work through it to get onto wires-x. Eliminating the need for an HRI-200 and a mobile radio to get into wires-x and instead use a handheld is nice. (A computer and Internet connection is still needed either way)

I like the audio of P25. Still, Yaesu's version of C4FM sounds really good on wide mode and not so bad on narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.