BCT15X receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

gocubs18

Hello,
I have a Uniden BCT15X and a BC92XLT. Our local Sheriff's department transmits on 155.670. I have been curious as to why I never hear this transmission on the BCT15X but I do on the BC92XLT. I brought scanners to within about 5 feet of each other in front of our picture window, and the BC92XLT receives the 155.670 transmissions but the BCT15X is not. I have the tone set to "NONE", FM modulation to "AUTO", Audio Type to "ALL" to try to eliminate every reason the BCT15X is not receiving it. The sheriff's transmitter is about 12 miles away so distance shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think, especially when one receives it crystal clear and the other does not at all. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is our local county and the main frequency I want to listen to!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I have a Uniden BCT15X and a BC92XLT. Our local Sheriff's department transmits on 155.670. I have been curious as to why I never hear this transmission on the BCT15X but I do on the BC92XLT. I brought scanners to within about 5 feet of each other in front of our picture window, and the BC92XLT receives the 155.670 transmissions but the BCT15X is not. I have the tone set to "NONE", FM modulation to "AUTO", Audio Type to "ALL" to try to eliminate every reason the BCT15X is not receiving it. The sheriff's transmitter is about 12 miles away so distance shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think, especially when one receives it crystal clear and the other does not at all. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is our local county and the main frequency I want to listen to!!
Does your BCT15X receive anything at all? How about the NOAA weather radio for your area?

If you can hear other radio traffic, and/or the weather radio, then there likely is something wrong with how your local S.O.s frequency is entered. Is it locked out? Or maybe in a group or system that is locked out?

Press the Hold key
Enter your frequency: 155.67
Press Hold again
Are you hearing anything?

If not_> Was the scanner working up to this point?
Has another transceiver radio, portable or mobile, been keyed up (transmuting) close to your 15X?

If you are not hearing any transmissions at all, and also can't hear the weather radio, then, unfortunately, you may need to have your BCT15X sent in for repair.

gocubs18

Hello hiegtx and thank you for the reply. It does work on other frequencies. I did shorten up the antenna to 18" as I was reading that was optimal for that frequency, and I do hear the same traffic as on the handheld, but it has more static and is more difficult to hear, but it does come through. Perhaps it is just not as sensitive or have as good of reception as the BC92XLT as that is crystal clear a few feet away. Both are in the window although the BC92XLT is right at the glass and the BCT15X is about a foot away. It does receive on both, just that the BC92XLT is much clearer.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The BCT15X has an attenuator function. Being as you found other things work and your SO frequency also works but weaker than the 92XLT makes me think the attenuator function may have been accidently turned on which will cause what you are describing.
Read the 15X manual and you should be able to find a section that explains turning the attenuator feature on and off.
Hopefully this is the problem.

gocubs18

Thank you kruser for the reply. The attenuator function was turned off. I believe I've found the problem. I can now here the frequency well with the telescopic antenna that came with the scanner set at 18 inches. I was using another telescopic antenna that would extend about 36 inches. I thought that a longer antenna would receive better, but after researching on a snowy day today, I discovered that different frequencies receive better with different antenna lengths. I've been able to hear the frequency and others very well this evening now.

Status
Not open for further replies.