N9JIG Radio Desk with SDS200 & SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I still have my Rack Shack (https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/n9jig-shack-video.375560/) and (https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/n9jig-june-2018-cabinet-completed.372852/) but have supplemented it with easier to reach radios on the desk. I have been beta testing the SDS series and can now show them as well.

On the desk I have behind the radios an 8-port Stridsberg multicoupler to feed the 5 radios running there. I use these radios all day while working (probably talked to many of you on the phone...) and with these I can usually work out issues with callers. I also keep a bunch of handhelds available so I can help people with them as well.

Operating on the desk are the SDS200, SDS100, BCD536HP, BCD996XT and HomePatrol 1. I also have a few handhelds available that during the work week tend to accumulate on the desk and on the weekend I usually try to put them away.

The computer is the iMac 5K with 32GB of RAM and a 3TB SSD. It has 2 32-inch monitors on either side, one for Windows (using Parallels and Win10Pro). The computer is sitting atop a 4TB RAID drive used as a backup drive, there is a second 4TB drive out of view behind he computer. Behind the computer is an APS UPS.

The entire desk is self-contained, with power, a network cable and an antenna feed the only wires going to it. Out of sight is a switch to connect the SDS200, work phone and computer. It is a rising desk and I use that feature most of the day, I prefer to stand when I can. If I need to work on the system I can pull the desk out (it is on nylon sliders) and get at the back.

To the left on the wall I have a WWV clock, to the left of that I have a 50 inch 4K TV I use mostly for watching Railfan or airport web cams when working. Since railfanning around here is pretty sparse the cams are a great substitute, plus I can watch while I work.

The rack is to the right as I sit at the desk, and the Windows PC (NUC) is just to the right of that. I can just slide my chair over to get at that.

I work from home so I can play with my toys and get paid doing so.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Great set-up as always, Rich. Thanks for the shots with the SDS200 on the desk, best size comparison pics I have seen so far. That SDS200 is a stout little scanner! I like it! You never fail to impress, sir!

JD
kf4anc

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
That is a really nice, clean, professional setup. As always - thanks for sharing and supporting the scanner radio hobby.

ka1njl

As always Rich sets the example for a neat, well organized and highly functional shack. It looks great and the thought of being able to enjoy it while working makes me envious.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Great post Rich, thanks! How long before we see a rack full of SDS-200's??? :cool:
About two weeks after I win the lottery.

In actuality if I could I would replace the BCT15's with BCD996P2's.They are actually quite perfect for my needs with P25, MilAir, civil air, railroads and the local stuff and the size works better for the rack. At half the price and 2/3s the size the 996P2 is optimal for the Rack. As forgiving as my wife is she has her limits however.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Pretty good, on par with the 996 and BCT15's. Nothing ever beats the BC780 though, I wish I still had a few!

phask

Premium Subscriber
Pretty good, on par with the 996 and BCT15's. Nothing ever beats the BC780 though, I wish I still had a few!
I have one I never use..., front port needs repaired, vol. sometimes scratchy, but we know how to get that fixed :) Want to deal?

6079smithw

That is one Sweet Suite indeed! Were you able to do a mobile check run with the 220? (Picture wrapping the unit in weird-pattern plastic with a hole cutout for the display like they do with next years' cars):LOL: GPS? And still curious to know if it's a NMEA platform...

N9JIG

Sheriff
I did have it at a couple local hamfests and radio club meetings before it was announced and had to cover it from prying eyes. The GPS feature works great. I was across the river in California and heard a couple lowband channels for the CHP one day and that seemed to work really well. I used a cigarette plug for power and a Spectrum Force mini-magmount antenna with good results.

As for the GPS format I can't say for sure, but I assume it is NMEA as there are GPS baud rate settings and the port is controlled by a menu item called "Set Serial Port".

6079smithw

I did have it at a couple local hamfests and radio club meetings before it was announced and had to cover it from prying eyes. The GPS feature works great. I was across the river in California and heard a couple lowband channels for the CHP one day and that seemed to work really well. I used a cigarette plug for power and a Spectrum Force mini-magmount antenna with good results.

As for the GPS format I can't say for sure, but I assume it is NMEA as there are GPS baud rate settings and the port is controlled by a menu item called "Set Serial Port".
Thank you, Sir... I ask because I use a single Garmin 18x PC puck for data to Kenwood APRS and a 536. Still waaaay down the road of course but I'd be hoping I could use the same setup on a 200.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, Sir... I ask because I use a single Garmin 18x PC puck for data to Kenwood APRS and a 536. Still waaaay down the road of course but I'd be hoping I could use the same setup on a 200.
I'll say maybe - if someone can configure a cable :)

I gave up trying for my HP2 and SDS100 setup. I also run an 18x, but I finally just added another puck for the SDS100.

Hopefully, once they get out in the real world someone brighter than me can figure out the pinout. Then - what's another puck :ROFLMAO:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I used to use a Garmin GPS-III for several scanners and APRS in the truck but when it died I got the Uniden puck. As I had stopped doing APRS by then I just made a custom cable to allow up to 4 scanners connect to the puck. I have 2 996's and an HP2 connected to the GPS in the truck. If the wiring on the SDS200 can be made compatible I would probably share that as well but the little matchbook GPS reciever is small enough to put inconspicuously in the vehicle so I may not bother.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I am still curious on the LAN port of the SDS-200 on the long term plans for this ethernet port on how its going to work and software plans?

N9JIG I see you have your ethernet port hooked up for testing. Are you at liberty to tell us how its working and what you are using it for? Also, as well as the software you are testing. This is the most curious part I think we are all wondering

N9JIG

Sheriff
The LAN port works with ProScan but the display is wonky since ProScan has not been updated for it yet. The 536 setting allows connectivity to an IP address and that connects and operates but the display items are not properly handled. It also works with a Uniden utility program and will work with future products as well. I assume ProScan, Butel and others will be updated to accommodate it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Rich:

Is the keypad and display essentially the same size as used on the SDS-100, just mounted side by side vs one over the top of the other?

N9JIG

Sheriff
The SDS200 display is quite a bit larger, twice the width but roughly the same height. The keyboard is about the same size as the SDS100

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 display is quite a bit larger, twice the width but roughly the same height. The keyboard is about the same size as the SDS100

Good to know, as my eyes aren't getting any younger. It does appear that the keypad is not a membrane keypad, which is a plus in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.