Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkero

I'm trying to understand the logic behind scanner recommendations. It's almost every day that someone asks for recommendations, and the answers can vary. The reason this question even pops into my head is due to the recent recommendations of the SDS-200. From my understanding, only the beta testers have experience using it at the moment. Not a whole lot of people have their hands on it to compare to other scanners. I also see a lot of recommendations for the SDS-100. Granted, this one has been out for a while and there's plenty of information about it here on the forums. But why recommend a ~$650 scanner to a newbie when a ~$350 one will do what they want?

So, why do you recommend a particular scanner over an other? I'm intrigued to see everyone's answers and hopefully learn a thing or two from all of you!

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I personally recommend a scanner based on what the end user's needs are.
If they need P25 Phase 2, then I recommend a scanner that will handle that.
If they don't need P25, then I would recommend a conventional scanner or a BCT15X as an upgrade.

I'll also recommend based on the end user's experience as well as my own personal experience with the radio model.

However, I may be coming at it from a different perspective from what others do.

Some may say, "I like this radio, and that is what I recommend."
And that's fair because the question is... "What do you recommend..." Not necessarily "what would you recommend if you were in my shoes"

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
#1. I have no children so I have all my money to spend on me.
#2. I started with a 1 Channel tuneable receiver and then bought 10 channel regency crystal then a 4 6 thin scan handhelp and up.
#3. I have every scanner listed in my signature turned on running on a combined antenna with all equal ports so when I test and compare it is with the same antenna at the same time.
#4. I say what my scanners do in my area.
#5. When I travel I use a 4 port stridsberg and run 4 scanners on the same antenna no loss and report what my scanners do.

mule1075

Feed Provider
#1. I have no children so I have all my money to spend on me.
#2. I started with a 1 Channel tuneable receiver and then bought 10 channel regency crystal then a 4 6 thin scan handhelp and up.
#3. I have every scanner listed in my signature turned on running on a combined antenna with all equal ports so when I test and compare it is with the same antenna at the same time.
#4. I say what my scanners do in my area.
#5. When I travel I use a 4 port stridsberg and run 4 scanners on the same antenna no loss and report what my scanners do.
So what does all that have to do with recommending a scanner?

marksmith

I'm trying to understand the logic behind scanner recommendations. It's almost every day that someone asks for recommendations, and the answers can vary. The reason this question even pops into my head is due to the recent recommendations of the SDS-200. From my understanding, only the beta testers have experience using it at the moment. Not a whole lot of people have their hands on it to compare to other scanners. I also see a lot of recommendations for the SDS-100. Granted, this one has been out for a while and there's plenty of information about it here on the forums. But why recommend a ~$650 scanner to a newbie when a ~$350 one will do what they want?

So, why do you recommend a particular scanner over an other? I'm intrigued to see everyone's answers and hopefully learn a thing or two from all of you!
If that newbie lives in an area full of simulcast phase 2 systems (some areas are and some are not) then they will be quite unsatisfied with that $350 scanner because it has all kinds of trouble getting anything even if it is right on top of them. That $650 scanner might be the only thing that can monitor what you want.

On the other hand, if you are very rural, hardly any trunked systems, mostly still vhf and uhf public service, that $350 trunking scanner is a waste of money. A $150 basic scanner will probably do better.

On the other hand, if you live in an area without any simulcast distortion, but some trunking systems, maybe some digital and some analog, then maybe the $350 scanner will fit.

In order for any recommendations to be worth spit, you need to know what will be monitored and where.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

mule1075

Feed Provider

W2LIE's post is pretty much spot on on why and how to recommend a scanner to someone new or someone looking to upgrade.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
So again what does this have to do with the OP'S question. He asked why you would recommend a scanner for someone not for your biography.

I think it's kind of a "where the rubber meets the road", thing. I view it as be relevant based on his education, training & experience, as well as using and owning multiple radios and monitoring many systems. He provided some background of how he comes to recommend a radio.

W2LIE's post is pretty much spot on on why and how to recommend a scanner to someone new or someone looking to upgrade.

I absolutely agree with this.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The problem I see with others recomending a scanner to someone else is that more often than not it's total overkill! Not everyone needs the latest and the greatest $700+ scanner when in fact an $89 scanner might need their particular needs perfectly. Some users just want to monitor ham radio, weather, aircraft, marine, FRS/GMRS, etc.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
So it would appear that some make recommendations based on the potential benefits a scanner may offer, and not actual experience. That may be appropriate when your needs are different from those of the person making the recommendation. Personally, I don't recommend a scanner I don't own and have experience with. In the end, it's the responsibility of the person requesting the information to make the most informed choice.

I think where we can help is to point a newbie in the right direction, without making a specific brand/model recommendation. After that, if they don't know what they need, the best approach is to do their own research and draw their own conclusions. With the wealth of information available today, there's no excuse for not doing your homework.

n1das

I recommend scanner 'xxx' to be able listen to 'yyy'. Being also able to listen to 'zzz' comes as a bonus.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Linkero

I have to say thank you to all of you for your insights. It really helps to see everyone's thought processes when it comes to recommendations. It makes me realize that some recommendations I've seen as ridiculous/overkill is really more justified than I had thought. I appreciate the knowledge you have all bestowed upon me! It shows me I still have a lot to learn about the hobby and the workings of different scanners that exist.

I recommend scanner 'xxx' to be able listen to 'yyy'. Being also able to listen to 'zzz' comes as a bonus.

:ROFLMAO: It may have only been 2 weeks, but this is the best joke I've heard this year!

paulmohr

I try not to suggest a specific scanner to anyone. Since I only have any real world experience with the one that I own it is hard for me to say "Oh, get this one, it is perfect and you will love it.". I would rather suggest certian models they should take a look at based on where they live, what they want to do with it and how much they are willing to spend. Possibly how easy it is to use and/or the reliability, but that is gonig to be based on other peoples reviews and opinions since I only own the one scanner.

I also ask a lot of questions and listen to the answers then try to do my research. So if no one else with more experience chimes in I might try to give my 2 cents.

It is also hard to know what someone else, or even myself would like or what would work well for them until you actually have it. I live an area that is mostly analog and I really didn't think I wanted a hand held model. I could have gotten away with a simple 90 dollar analog base model. However I found a 325P2 in stock at a local store for a decent price and bought it. Honestly I am quite happy with it. I didn't think I wanted a hand held but I actually enjoy being able to take it on long car rides or listening to it while mowing the lawn. And while I don't need all the digtal stuff in my area it is nice to have if I want to take it to another city that happens to be digital. I am actually thinking about getting a better one and giving this one to my dad since where he lives went all digital and his old scanners don't work anymore. I wish he would have kept his old ones I would have traded him, but he said he threw them away because they didn't work anymore.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Many recomendations are very misleading if not totally untrue! When someone tells a newbie all scanners prior to the SDS-100/200 are useless and do not work with any P25 simulcast systems they are showing their ignorance! People have been buying them well over a decade for exactly that, using them for years and contiue buying them. As do I personally and I have no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.