SDS200 Archived Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansky

Here's s short clip of monitoring FDNY on the SDS-100. Radio is sitting on coffee table in living room. I am 20 mi SW of the center of NYC, in NJ across from the tip of Staten Island. Antenna is the Remtronix 800 Mhz. Hope this helps someone who was wondering about analog receive.

Thank you. I'm about 10 miles due west of Manhattan and that audio sounds exactly the same as what I get with my HP-2. I was hoping the SDS would fix some of that multicast "scratching" noise, but I guess not.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
OK since there doesn't appear to be a LINE OUT jack like the 536 scanner, are we going to be able to stream audio over LAN kinda like the 536 over WIFI?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm also assuming that, at this point, "Control" refers to control via a PC and not a remote head.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
As was said before, This is a problem for a mobile scanner

VEHICLE INSTALLATION You can mount your scanner in your vehicle, using either an optoinal bracket or DIN-E sleeve. If the scanner loses power (as when you turn off your car’s ignition with the scanners power switch on), it can corrupt the microSD card. To ensure that does not happen, turn off the scanner before turning the car’s ignition off.

While I am not an electronic engineer or a software engineer, it seems this was overlooked. This is a problem that has been talked about with the 536 and seems to not have been addressed with the SDS200. That is very disappointing to me. There are several other things I wish were included in the new flagship but not deal breakers, but the power issue makes me, personally, not an early adopter.

I might be wrong, but I HIGHLY doubt this can be resolved by firmware as hardware would need to be changed or have the ability on the board already but not enabled to force the scanner to power down without corrupting the sd card when power is removed.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
There is another solution. Many vehicles have a power port (or a few of them) that is always powered. If your vehicle doesn't, and you're handy with vehicle wiring projects, you can install your own.

I have my 436 plugged into an always on port. Sure, I get the convenience of the scanner powering on simultaneously with the vehicle, but I long ago got into the habit of powering down (up) devices before I shut down the vehicle (or just after I start it).

eaf1956

Feed Provider
There is another solution. Many vehicles have a power port (or a few of them) that is always powered. If your vehicle doesn't, and you're handy with vehicle wiring projects, you can install your own.

I have my 436 plugged into an always on port. Sure, I get the convenience of the scanner powering on simultaneously with the vehicle, but I long ago got into the habit of powering down (up) devices before I shut down the vehicle (or just after I start it).
Even with a power port that is always on, a 536 scanner reboots when you start the vehicle. Never tried this in my Malibu which auto stops and restarts at stop signs and lights. But in my truck the scanner is always got power but reboots when starting the truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6079smithw

Even with a power port that is always on, a 536 scanner reboots when you start the vehicle. Never tried this in my Malibu which auto stops and restarts at stop signs and lights. But in my truck the scanner is always got power but reboots when starting the truck.
It does the same thing in a 2013 Peterbilt 367 with 3 gazillion AH batteries and an isolator for the one powering the sleeper. Nature of the beast, I suppose...

wise871

Database Admin
Back when the 536HP came out I decided to use a Newmar Isolated DC Converter Stabilizer (Model 12-12-31) and a power toggle switch to constant power-on source for my setup. The power switch kills power to the Stabilizer/Scanner to prevent drain on the battery when not in the vehicle. When I start or shut off the vehicle the Stabilizer maintains power and absorbs spikes allowing the scanner to shut down properly and prevents reboots when staring the vehicle. I got it for a low price back then.

Attachments

• Stabilizing-Convert-12-12-31-1024x967.png
    Stabilizing-Convert-12-12-31-1024x967.png
    398.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 60

CorwinScansNM

Here's s short clip of monitoring FDNY on the SDS-100. Radio is sitting on coffee table in living room. I am 20 mi SW of the center of NYC, in NJ across from the tip of Staten Island. Antenna is the Remtronix 800 Mhz. Hope this helps someone who was wondering about analog receive.

Wow, that audio coming from the SDS100 sounds like Sh^t for receiving analog only audio signals! If the SDS200 is going to be no better for analog receiving than the SDS100 Handheld, then I am going to for sure have to pass on this one & not purchase the SDS200 at $700! I have not purchased the SDS100 either & have no plans to as for I am a big fan of mobile/desktop scanners & not handhelds at all. I look forward to future videos posted of the SDS200 receiving analog only signals say in the ranges of 150-174 Mhz & 450-470 Mhz just to see if it still receives like crap like it did in spriengr post #545 on the SDS100 which was quite a constant multicast, scratchy & annoying noise when receiving analog radio signals.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
One of the big problems with the SDS 100 is the audio is extremely tinny on analog thereby aggravating the already low sensitivity the SDS 100 has on analog signals in general.... It's almost unlistenable when trying to monitor analog unless the signal is extremely local extremely strong and full quieting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I have read a good deal here and elsewhere about the SDS100's issues with analog audio. I am probably not alone in saying that I am not buying either a 100 or 200 to listen to analog. I have multiple scanners and my trusted BC780XLT is what I listen to analog on. The 100 and 200 will be used exclusively for digital trunked.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

mule1075

Feed Provider
Wow, that audio coming from the SDS100 sounds like Sh^t for receiving analog only audio signals! If the SDS200 is going to be no better for analog receiving than the SDS100 Handheld, then I am going to for sure have to pass on this one & not purchase the SDS200 at $700! I have not purchased the SDS100 either & have no plans to as for I am a big fan of mobile/desktop scanners & not handhelds at all. I look forward to future videos posted of the SDS200 receiving analog only signals say in the ranges of 150-174 Mhz & 450-470 Mhz just to see if it still receives like crap like it did in spriengr post #545 on the SDS100 which was quite a constant multicast, scratchy & annoying noise when receiving analog radio signals.
Listening to the live feed and the video the audio is almost identical. I am guessing a system problem and not a scanner problem.

ansky

Listening to the live feed and the video the audio is almost identical. I am guessing a system problem and not a scanner problem.

It's not a system problem. FDNY uses a simulcast system that happens to be analog instead of digital. I have the same audio problems on my HP-2. I was hoping the SDS would be able to handle analog simulcast, but apparently that is not the case.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Here is a bit of UHF audio not real busy at the moment. And be advised the 460.400 frequency sounds like that on all my scanners. I will try and get a bit more video later.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Looking at your video I see you concern but watching the S Meter it goes from 4 bars to 0 bars like desense is causing the signal to drop is this a trunking system or a conventional repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.