SDS200 Archived Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Looking at your video I see you concern but watching the S Meter it goes from 4 bars to 0 bars like desense is causing the signal to drop is this a trunking system or a conventional repeater?
That one particular frequency has done that for years. Not a concern to me because I don't listen to that area police often if ever.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
As was said before, This is a problem for a mobile scanner

VEHICLE INSTALLATION You can mount your scanner in your vehicle, using either an optoinal bracket or DIN-E sleeve. If the scanner loses power (as when you turn off your car’s ignition with the scanners power switch on), it can corrupt the microSD card. To ensure that does not happen, turn off the scanner before turning the car’s ignition off.

While I am not an electronic engineer or a software engineer, it seems this was overlooked. This is a problem that has been talked about with the 536 and seems to not have been addressed with the SDS200. That is very disappointing to me. There are several other things I wish were included in the new flagship but not deal breakers, but the power issue makes me, personally, not an early adopter.

I might be wrong, but I HIGHLY doubt this can be resolved by firmware as hardware would need to be changed or have the ability on the board already but not enabled to force the scanner to power down without corrupting the sd card when power is removed.

Any time you are actively writing files to an SD card and you pull the card or kill the power to said device, there is a good chance for corruption. On the other hand, I have a 536 installed in my truck and have never had a corrupt card. Why? I don't have it set to record...so, it isn't actively writing anything (mine only reads from the card on scanner start up).

So, their caution does not mean "oh my gosh all cards are going to corrupt!"... just that one could if it happens at the wrong moment and someone has it set to record (I don't because I don't see the point but to each their own...).

WeBeCinYa

Any time you are actively writing files to an SD card and you pull the card or kill the power to said device, there is a good chance for corruption. On the other hand, I have a 536 installed in my truck and have never had a corrupt card. Why? I don't have it set to record...so, it isn't actively writing anything (mine only reads from the card on scanner start up).

So, their caution does not mean "oh my gosh all cards are going to corrupt!"... just that one could if it happens at the wrong moment and someone has it set to record (I don't because I don't see the point but to each their own...).

Same thing here for me, I shut off my truck and scanner is immediately powered off. I start up and it loads fine. No recording ever so I assume that's why I have never had an issue with the card.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
It just seems odd to me that Uniden had a new product coming out, new design, and had the chance to make the hardware needed to have an ignition sense work properly...and they didn't. When the 536 hit the market, RR was flooded with folks mentioning this.

I get that it was was too late with the 536, but now with the SDS200, they had the chance to implement it. They chose not to. That really sucks.

I am in and out of my work truck about 50 times a day visiting tower sites, and it'd be nice to have a simulcast capable scanner in there. The SDS 200 was looking like a great fit, but now I have to flick the switch on and off while my other equipment is switched with ignition just fine. Kind of a fail for $700. 90% of the sites I visit are in simulcast cells.

Paul, if you are seeing this, and firmware can manipulate the definition of the orange wire, this is your chance to make things right :) Give us a menu option to chose what the orange wire does .

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I may be wrong, but I doubt a firmware update can change internal wiring.

I also am not sure what you are really wanting. Are you saying you want the scanner, when it loses power, to shut itself down instead of just dropping out? Perhaps I just don't follow what you are desiring.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
I may be wrong, but I doubt a firmware update can change internal wiring.

I also am not sure what you are really wanting. Are you saying you want the scanner, when it loses power, to shut itself down instead of just dropping out? Perhaps I just don't follow what you are desiring.

Correct, when power is lost, it would act as though you turned off the scanner. Closing the files on the MicroSD card to prevent corruption. I think what people have been saying is a basic 3 wire power. (Batt, Ign, Ground). When Ignition power is lost, the scanner would shut down properly. It would solve many peoples complaints they had with the 536.

crazzycatman

Premium Subscriber
You will need a voltage converter at the least. The RJ11 voltage level is 5 VDC. The DB-9 on the back of the 536 is RS-232 levels which is positive and negative typically 12 VDC.
if i just use the 2 signal wires from existing puck which is wired to ignition for 12 v when vehicle is running and negate the 5v power from scanner do you think that could work? thanks.

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
The lack of any mention of it having WiFi capability is disappointing. Frankly, that's one of the best features of the 536.

I'm also baffled by the idea of putting the USB A and Ethernet ports on the front of this thing, when there is a ton of empty space on the back panel.

View attachment 67474
When mounted in a mobile application, rear access is often limited without removing the unit.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Correct, when power is lost, it would act as though you turned off the scanner. Closing the files on the MicroSD card to prevent corruption. I think what people have been saying is a basic 3 wire power. (Batt, Ign, Ground). When Ignition power is lost, the scanner would shut down properly. It would solve many peoples complaints they had with the 536.

OK, I understand what was meant now.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Even if this was not a radio site or a release of a radio people would complain about the air we breathe. I have complained before but need to be more positive on the hard work of releasing a new radio and the options its going to have. I think the biggest thing I like is the size of the screen. As we get older we do not see as well and having a bigger screen and the color features is going to be great. As well as the LAN port. This is the new game changer since the sky is the limit now with a hard-wire port. I just hope that all frequencies across the bands of this new SDS-200 work well. As to the licensing of the other modulations its no big deal. Having them both added on my BCD536HP and now sold it I will only pay for the NXDN since this is all I need in my area. I have so many other radios that each one does its own job.

ansky

For $700 I'm disappointed Uniden still wants even MORE money for DMR and other "upgrades."

As mentioned previously, if all those "upgrades" were included then it would raise the overall cost of the scanner for everyone. With this business model only the people that actually need those upgrades will have to pay for them. Personally I would hate to pay for DMR, NXDN, or GPS when I don't need any of those features.

Ubbe

Here's s short clip of monitoring FDNY on the SDS-100. Radio is sitting on coffee table in living room. I am 20 mi SW of the center of NYC, in NJ across from the tip of Staten Island. Antenna is the Remtronix 800 Mhz. Hope this helps someone who was wondering about analog receive.
Signal strenght value at -45dBm and signal strenght bars are busted. Level received are something like -95dBm to -105dBm and sometimes near squelch closing level at -115dBm, but signal strenght indicator always show maximum possible signal.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.