SDS200 Archived Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stantorres

As was said before, This is a problem for a mobile scanner

VEHICLE INSTALLATION You can mount your scanner in your vehicle, using either an optoinal bracket or DIN-E sleeve. If the scanner loses power (as when you turn off your car’s ignition with the scanners power switch on), it can corrupt the microSD card. To ensure that does not happen, turn off the scanner before turning the car’s ignition off.

While I am not an electronic engineer or a software engineer, it seems this was overlooked. This is a problem that has been talked about with the 536 and seems to not have been addressed with the SDS200. That is very disappointing to me. There are several other things I wish were included in the new flagship but not deal breakers, but the power issue makes me, personally, not an early adopter.

I might be wrong, but I HIGHLY doubt this can be resolved by firmware as hardware would need to be changed or have the ability on the board already but not enabled to force the scanner to power down without corrupting the sd card when power is removed.
My Hp-2 is vehicle mounted and cycles power with ignition. No problems in 4 years.... yet. The HP-2 automatically disables certain features when there are no batteries in the battery-well, I think this is done to protect from corruption due to frequent power cycling. I'm hoping the sds200 will work the same way.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

mule1075

Feed Provider
My Hp-2 is vehicle mounted and cycles power with ignition. No problems in 4 years.... yet. The HP-2 automatically disables certain features when there are no batteries in the battery-well, I think this is done to protect from corruption due to frequent power cycling. I'm hoping the sds200 will work the same way.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Since it won't have a battery well like the HP-2 I am guessing not.

spriengr

Feed Provider
Signal strenght value at -45dBm and signal strenght bars are busted. Level received are something like -95dBm to -105dBm and sometimes near squelch closing level at -115dBm, but signal strenght indicator always show maximum possible signal.

/Ubbe
Don't know what was going on there....it is back to normal now.

Frequency1

Premium Subscriber
Here's s short clip of monitoring FDNY on the SDS-100. Radio is sitting on coffee table in living room. I am 20 mi SW of the center of NYC, in NJ across from the tip of Staten Island. Antenna is the Remtronix 800 Mhz. Hope this helps someone who was wondering about analog receive.

Reiterating what others have already stated...
SDS-100 reception was FLAWLESS in that video.
The FDNY always sounds like that on older scanners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ansky

Reiterating what others have already stated...
SDS-100 reception was FLAWLESS in that video.
The FDNY always sounds like that on older scanners.

I think you missed the point. FDNY uses an analog simulcast system. We would have hoped that the SDS100 would have *improved* reception of that system, but instead it performed just like any other scanner.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I think you missed the point. FDNY uses an analog simulcast system. We would have hoped that the SDS100 would have *improved* reception of that system, but instead it performed just like any other scanner.

Analog simulcast has no magic you can do in the receiver, it's all about transmitter timing and phase. I'd bet "real" radios sound about the same listening to them.

Frequency1

Premium Subscriber

Didn’t miss any point. A video of a conventional system (FDNY) was generously posted. My point to those unaware, scratchy reception of FDNY is very normal on any scanner.

I do completely agree with you, wish the SDS-100 improved reception of analog-simulcast-conventional. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequency1

Premium Subscriber

radio3353

We put a lot of thought and experimentation into incorporating Bluetooth, actually. In addition to increasing the size and cost of the scanner, it would have introduced a very high level of RF noise into the scanner. That last reason is also why the Wi-Fi dongle on the 536 is a dongle, and not integrated. In general, transmitters in close proximity to wide-band receivers are a poor combination.

How did Unication put Bluetooth in their G4/G5 and yet still have a small package and a price less than the SDS100? And without affecting receive quality? Granted, it is an older BT version, but that shouldn't matter to your reasons for not doing it. What do they know that you don't. Thanks.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
How did Unication put Bluetooth in their G4/G5 and yet still have a small package and a price less than the SDS100? And without affecting receive quality? Granted, it is an older BT version, but that shouldn't matter to your reasons for not doing it. What do they know that you don't. Thanks.

As has been stated many times, Unication is not a wide-band receiver.

mancow

Database Admin
Analog simulcast has no magic you can do in the receiver, it's all about transmitter timing and phase. I'd bet "real" radios sound about the same listening to them.

Correct, KCMO had a simulcast EDACS system that sounded like that even on agency radios.

sfd119

As was said before, This is a problem for a mobile scanner

VEHICLE INSTALLATION You can mount your scanner in your vehicle, using either an optoinal bracket or DIN-E sleeve. If the scanner loses power (as when you turn off your car’s ignition with the scanners power switch on), it cawn corrupt the microSD card. To ensure that does not happen, turn off the scanner before turning the car’s ignition off.

While I am not an electronic engineer or a software engineer, it seems this was overlooked. This is a problem that has been talked about with the 536 and seems to not have been addressed with the SDS200. That is very disappointing to me. There are several other things I wish were included in the new flagship but not deal breakers, but the power issue makes me, personally, not an early adopter.

I might be wrong, but I HIGHLY doubt this can be resolved by firmware as hardware would need to be changed or have the ability on the board already but not enabled to force the scanner to power down without corrupting the sd card when power is removed.

Pretty easy fix as documented here: https://forums.radioreference.com/t...-scanner-rebooting.334642/page-6#post-2843409

sfd119

Have had the 536 mounted in my truck basically since it came out. I have yet to shut it off manually. It auto shuts off with my truck and turns on with my truck using a ChargeGuard timer. Have not had any issues.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Have had the 536 mounted in my truck basically since it came out. I have yet to shut it off manually. It auto shuts off with my truck and turns on with my truck using a ChargeGuard timer. Have not had any issues.

Do you have it set to be recording when on?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Here's s short clip of monitoring FDNY on the SDS-100. Radio is sitting on coffee table in living room. I am 20 mi SW of the center of NYC, in NJ across from the tip of Staten Island. Antenna is the Remtronix 800 Mhz. Hope this helps someone who was wondering about analog receive.

I'm not sure that's a good comparison using an antenna specific to 700/800 Mhz when you're listening to 480Mhz frequencies. I listen to 460 Mhz analog frequencies using the stock antenna and sounds much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.