Can Barely Hear California Highway Patrol (Low Band)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I've listening to CHP for ages. Withing the last week, my CHP frequencies had gone silent. So I checked RR and found that there was a January 2019 update, so I connected my Uniden 536HP and using Sentinel software, updated my complete data base. I am in the middle of the Golden Gate dispatch center and the Redwood City station and even with the updated DB, I can still barely hear them. I do get strong signals on the 700Mhz Extenders for other stations, but now Redwood City. Any idea what may be happening?

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the spelling errors... Retry

Hello. I've been listening to CHP for ages. Within the last week, my CHP frequencies have gone silent. So I checked RR and found that there was a January 2019 update, so I connected my Uniden 536HP and using Sentinel software, updated my complete data base. Location wise, I happen to be in the middle of the Golden Gate dispatch center and the Redwood City station and even with the updated DB, I can still barely hear them. I do get strong signals on the 700Mhz Extenders for other stations, but not Redwood City. Any idea what may be happening? Are they moving off their low band frequencies?

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the spelling errors... Retry

I listen to CHP across the bay from you (Aqua & Khaki) quite often. They had some problems over the last few weeks including the loss of simulcast. Because of that the "repeat" transmitter on the Aqua for the Khaki traffic was apparently up in Castro Valley and I was not able to receive it. The channels were quieter than usual. I did hear a dispatcher later say that they were only simulcasting the Bronze and Khaki. So...this may be the issue you have and hopefully it will return to normal soon. They are still on low band.

kma371

QRT
There hasn't been an update of frequencies in that area in some time. Only update reflected in the DB recently may have been some callsign changes (I updated some recently).

It's all gonna depend on what scanner and antenna you are using and conditions. CHP has always had horrible coverage on low band via scanners as long as I can remember. It works for them though.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
There hasn't been an update of frequencies in that area in some time. Only update reflected in the DB recently may have been some callsign changes (I updated some recently).

It's all gonna depend on what scanner and antenna you are using and conditions. CHP has always had horrible coverage on low band via scanners as long as I can remember. It works for them though.

Thank you for the info. I noticed that the frequencies were the same. I am using a Uniden 536HP on the 10th floor of our office with a Super Gainer antenna, with an unobstructed view (visual and signal)of CA101 / CA92. Hopefully CHP radio techs will get the simulcast system back online soon.

My next task it to sell some of my scanners so I can purchase the SD-200. To bad it doesn't have an HDMI, DVI or VGA output to connect to a larger display. I wonder if any of the USB out's will drive a display???

kma371

QRT
Thank you for the info. I noticed that the frequencies were the same. I am using a Uniden 536HP on the 10th floor of our office with a Super Gainer antenna, with an unobstructed view (visual and signal)of CA101 / CA92. Hopefully CHP radio techs will get the simulcast system back online soon.

My next task it to sell some of my scanners so I can purchase the SD-200. To bad it doesn't have an HDMI, DVI or VGA output to connect to a larger display. I wonder if any of the USB out's will drive a display???

Which model super gainer? Most of these are tuned for VHF/UHF ham bands, which won't do you any good on CHP.

Emoney250

Hello. I've listening to CHP for ages. Withing the last week, my CHP frequencies had gone silent. So I checked RR and found that there was a January 2019 update, so I connected my Uniden 536HP and using Sentinel software, updated my complete data base. I am in the middle of the Golden Gate dispatch center and the Redwood City station and even with the updated DB, I can still barely hear them. I do get strong signals on the 700Mhz Extenders for other stations, but now Redwood City. Any idea what may be happening?
I have to agree. I'v been listening to Chico CHP (very busy dispatch center) for the last 8 years. I have not changed any settings in my 536HP or antenna. In the last few months, I've noticed hearing ALOT less on my scanner. They're also set as a PRIORITY.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---

6079smithw

Thought it was just me... same story with Valley Division. I ran a linehaul route between Reno and Sac over I-80 for 9 years; retired last year. I used a BCT-7 (excellent 30-50 sensitivity) tuned to Sac/Tahoe/Auburn freqs and could copy Sacramento westbound beginning around Kingvale. Car-to-car simplex was fine. Last Spring I covered the route for 2 days. Same equipment but this time, nada, except for one unit in Truckee that was a half-mile away. Same results with a commercial Motorola unit a week later using a cut-down CB steel whip. Something's goin' on here...

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Interesting to hear all of these reports. Some of this can be explained by increased use of the mobile computer (MDT?). But I have my own story of a transmitter site being lost. I used to hear Stockton CHP (44.92) from Fremont using my ham radio vertical antenna and ham radio receiver. Then one day I lost that strong signal, never to return. They were very strong- maybe coming from Mt. Oso. I hear them very noisy now. They may be using lower level sites, perhaps in preparation for an 800 Mhz system, like Cal Trans, but that's pure speculation.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
perhaps in preparation for an 800 Mhz system

CHP has already built out their UHF P25 system and its on 700Mhz. The extenders are currently using it. As you mentioned in a previous response, it's likely due to a downed simulcast system or other hardware issue. I just checked and reception isn't any better.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I have to agree. I'v been listening to Chico CHP (very busy dispatch center) for the last 8 years. I have not changed any settings in my 536HP or antenna. In the last few months, I've noticed hearing ALOT less on my scanner. They're also set as a PRIORITY.
Forever my 15X would get Chico on Valley/Brown pretty easily on an NMO drilled ASCANS antenna going down I5 Glenn/Colusa. Same antenna on a Whistler 1098 now, for last few years, I rarely get any Chico hits on the Brown unless I'm on 99 in Butte County, and even then it's rare. Also on priority and not running CTCSS so hoping the audio opens up quicker on the radio. On the 15X I'd sometimes scan the 72MHz remote base on St. John to better cover the I5 portion of the Chico dispatch center but no 72MHz on 1098. I get the 700MHz extenders just fine when near a call or their Willows and Williams offices, and no hits on lowband while that occurs. I know I have a lot running against me (antenna, radio, system design,) but it's a very noticeable difference in the last few years, and I have excellent performance with Redding dispatch on Northern/Red in Tehama and Shasta counties. I just realized my last few runs up and down I5 have had zero transmissions on the Brown. Golden Gate is also never a problem for me when traveling through.

I might throw my 15X in the car on a mag mount with just valley brown to see if there's a difference. Next trip down 5 will be for date-night in the bay area next month so we'll see what I can get away with. :sneaky:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I monitor Gold, Black, Green, Turquoise, Brown both base and mobile (and a lot more) and hear lots of traffic. Of course I am monitoring lots of other stuff too, but with several radios running simultaneously. I can't say I've heard a decline. The time of day does matter as there's certainly more traffic (both kinds lol) during rush hour.

ridgescan

For what it's worth (are you guys only talking about Fairfield and east?) but here in SFO I am getting pink, violet, amber, bronze, maroon, turquoise, ruby and grape, as always, all checking in very clearly within a 5 minute monitor. IOW no changes here with Golden Gate.
EDIT: just heard 42.400, purple, which I assume is Redding/Yreka, base and mobile.

Last edited:

emt_531

Here in the Central Valley, they still use low band. I can get the pink, silver, blue and maroon with just an outside ST-22 antenna that is sitting on the ground. They do use multicast or simulcast, I am not sure what to call it to broadcast the mobiles. I have heard the Coalinga units on their new 700 MHZ from time to time.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
For what it's worth (are you guys only talking about Fairfield and east?) but here in SFO I am getting pink, violet, amber, bronze, maroon, turquoise, ruby and grape, as always, all checking in very clearly within a 5 minute monitor. IOW no changes here with Golden Gate.
EDIT: just heard 42.400, purple, which I assume is Redding/Yreka, base and mobile.
42.400 is Yreka

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

techman210

I would imagine it is getting harder to support lowband simulcast systems since so few (none??) manufacturers make lowband infrastructure radios with external frequency reference inputs.

The state has a hard time finding qualified techs based on the shrinking amount of available candidates combined with state salaries. In my area, the simulcast sounds horrible. There are probably one or two techs statewide that spend a lot of time going from one simulcast system to the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.