SDS200 Archived Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Looks like a 1980s monochrome monitor. It's just mssing the DOS prompt.

This is the "Kermit It's not easy being green" SDS200 screen configuration.....
Aqy3swp.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

radio3353

As has been stated many times, Unication is not a wide-band receiver.

Yes, I am fully aware of that. However, I was trying to understand why the BT limitations you listed were really limitations in one radio but not another. I guess the intent of my question didn't make it through. Never mind. Thanks.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am fully aware of that. However, I was trying to understand why the BT limitations you listed were really limitations in one radio but not another. I guess the intent of my question didn't make it through. Never mind. Thanks.

I think he was trying to convey that implementing that in a professional radio that is specific to one (or two) bands (i.e. the Unication) is easier than in a wideband consumer scanner.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Antenna was a Retromix 800 Mhz antenna...not exactly optimum for 480 Mhz. I would think?
The original RS 800 first made for or by GRE and rebranded RadioShack first sold as 800 megahertz antenna is excellent on 450 megahertz to 512 megahertz. Not so much on VHF high/ low.

If any of the beta testers are allowed to post such things, I would be very interested in any reports on weak signal FM, low band FM, and air band performance, and "close call" on the SDS200 vs the 536.

I'm putting together a camping truck and am looking for a scanner. The debate is between the SDS and 536 series due to them both having location awareness. Location awareness is a critical feature as this is to be used primarily as a road trip rig.

I would listen to:
Ham repeaters (50,144,220,440, nearly 100% analog when in the sticks)
California Highway Patrol (39->42Mhz FM, analog, with some stuff at 800Mhz in cities) I have reasonable VHF low coverage from this antenna.
CalFire (mostly analog,150Mhz, with some air band stuff)
US Forest Service (analog, mostly VHF)
BLM (analog/p25 VHF)
Private Air Ambulance - (FM, VHF)

When I get farther out, I might care about:
Nevada Shared System - (EDCAS trunking with analog voice, 800Mhz)
Arizona Department of Public Safety - (UHF, analog)

I would also be interested in any comparisons of the performance of "close call" between the two scanner series. The "close call" feature is very useful to discover if there are others camping in or traveling through the same area we are in.

Uniden is the only game in town with a location-aware scanner, so they will sell me one either way. I'm just not sure which one yet.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
This is the "Kermit It's not easy being green" SDS200 screen configuration.....
Aqy3swp.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR
Hi under the VOL SQL there is TAG : what type of system do you need to be monitoring to see information displayed? Your display all in green looks great!
Thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hi under the VOL SQL there is TAG : what type of system do you need to be monitoring to see information displayed? Your display all in green looks great!
Thanks

That is the Number Tag field. If you have assigned a Number tag to the currently displayed channel/talkgroup it will show up in that spot.
Number Tags on the SDS100/200 work exactly like they do in the 436/536...here is a link that describes how Number Tags work in
the 436/536:
Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Marshall KE4ZNR

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
End of Jan to Mid February.

To clarify a bit further, while not directly related to our product plans in any way, we do hope to have first sales on the SDS200 prior Whistler's TRX100/TRX200 new timeline announcement.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
And a tiny bit more info on Number Tags:
A26zz4m.jpg

In the above pic I have assigned Number Tag 40.02.006 to the above talkgroup. That is Favorite List 40, System 02, and Channel 006.
Number Tags allow you to quickly navigate to a specific channel/talkgroup out of everything.
Marshall KE4ZNR

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I have tested the 100 extensively in the Philadelphia area. Keep in mind location location location. Keep in mind inconsistencies between different units which someone else would have to explain.

I do have a professional subscriber radio to use as a control. The city of Philadelphia is not that bad with only a few problems. It's north of there in Bucks County where I live that we have so many missed Transmissions and the radio does not work well in a portable or mobile situation. All appropriate adjustments have been made as I am very familiar with the radio. I hear it's only in the lower part of the county but it's experienced everywhere on the system and a few blocks can make the difference. You might even find someone who says it works great for them. I thought it worked great at first until I put it next to a professional alternative. It's a populated area and there are a lot of listeners and a lot of users of the professional alternatives.

My particular SDS 100 receives everything else very well including nxnd and aircraft. Modulation is good and the display is awesome.

Yes SDS 200 is good looking and if there's any way it works better than the SDS 100 for police and Fire in the town where I live I would like to own one but certainly not one of the first ones off the line.

Please stop calling concerned consumers who are cautious about spending a lot of money haters. There may be a few actual venomous haters out there but not many, no more than the few true Bullies that are out there attempting to intimidate and suppress comment. We are talking very small numbers of people here.

As consumers spending huge amounts of money unit after unit we are lucky to have a venue like this to speak freely so we can learn more before spending our money.

Quit buying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I saw someone comment on this earlier but I didn't see a response: Your squelch setting at 7 is what some of us would consider abnormal. My 436 and 536s live at 2 all day long quite happily. Is this something unique to the SDS radios or your personal preference or what?

Personal preference for when I listen to railband. I've not seen any adverse effects on other bands in my testing.

Houk

Not trying to start an argument, just asking...

Do you have to set the squelch at 7 for that band due to a high noise floor and/or interference?

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
And a tiny bit more info on Number Tags:
A26zz4m.jpg

In the above pic I have assigned Number Tag 40.02.006 to the above talkgroup. That is Favorite List 40, System 02, and Channel 006.
Number Tags allow you to quickly navigate to a specific channel/talkgroup out of everything.
Marshall KE4ZNR
Thank you for the quick reply and answer. Almost everyday I learn something new thanks again.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Quit buying it
Thank you for making my point.

This is a great-looking radio and far more than I thought it would be. If I can find anybody in my County who actually buys one I will find out about it and do my best to set up a meeting with them and I will travel to them.

I will run the radio through testing and if it works without missed transmissions on my particular system I will buy one... As I stated my SDS 100 does work well in everything but my local police and fire simulcast system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:

garys

Premium Subscriber
Right across the bow. Well played, sir.

To clarify a bit further, while not directly related to our product plans in any way, we do hope to have first sales on the SDS200 prior Whistler's TRX100/TRX200 new timeline announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.