How to ad profile in sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmartin62

I have purchased a used scanner from someone fairly close to me, and am wanting to keep all the programming as a separate profile within sentinel. If I upload from the scanner to my computer, will it give me the option of creating a new profile and saving all this info? Once I do that....I then want to download my regular profile to this scanner, which is the same profile I have in my other radios. Can this be done? The reason for this is so that I can go back at a later point...and download all the old info back into the scanner and see what I can receive? But I am scared it will throw both profiles into eh other....all mixed together. Hope that makes sense.

BBossman1

Yes, but... Understand that Profiles are separate from Favorite Lists, so when you connect your "new" scanner to Sentinel and select Read From Scanner, its going to add all the Favorite Lists from the scanner to your Favorite Lists in Sentinel, as well as the scanner's profile to your list of Profiles. Not a big issue, you'll just need to pay attention to each new or existing profile's Download and Monitor settings for Favorite lists.

Hope that makes sense...

ETA: Make sure you create and open your new profile before connecting and reading from your "new" scanner.

Last edited:

teknishun

I have purchased a used scanner from someone fairly close to me, and am wanting to keep all the programming as a separate profile within sentinel. If I upload from the scanner to my computer, will it give me the option of creating a new profile and saving all this info? Once I do that....I then want to download my regular profile to this scanner, which is the same profile I have in my other radios. Can this be done? The reason for this is so that I can go back at a later point...and download all the old info back into the scanner and see what I can receive? But I am scared it will throw both profiles into eh other....all mixed together. Hope that makes sense.

Be aware that if you upload to Sentinel from your "new" scanner and then upload from your "regular" scanner, Sentinel will have ALL the
favorite lists from BOTH scanners. This is because a favorites list is shared among all profiles.

Any profile name you look at will always show ALL the favorites lists that are in Sentinel,
but that is not a problem.

How you load one scanner differently from another is by using the Update Profile and the Scan Selection tab to choose which
favorites lists get loaded and monitored.

Before you upload anything, create a new profile and name it so that you know it is the "new" scanner.
After you create the "new" profile, upload the "new" scanner to Sentinel. Use the Update Profile feature to set
the Monitor and Download to "Yes" status for whatever you want that scanner to have.

Then create a second new profile for your "original" configuration.
In this second profile for the "original" configuration, change the Monitor
and Download status to "No." You will still have the same favorites list
as before, but in this profile you are ignoring them.

So now, when you upload your "original" configuration to Sentinel all its favorites lists
will be added to all the others that are already there.

That is not a problem because in your "original" profile you can edit it (Monitor and Download)
to "Yes" to include only those favorites lists you want in that profile. The other favorites
lists will be ignored in this profile because their Monitor and Download is set to "No."

So, to answer your question - YES - Sentinel will place all your profiles from all the scanners
you upload into a single list. BUT this is NOT A PROBLEM because each scanner will have its
own profile. Also be careful about duplicate names of favorites lists between each scanner.

Just be sure to choose the correct profile name each time before writing to the scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
And its probably a good idea to make copies of your profiles using Windows Explorer and put in a backup file folder just in case something goes real bad. You'll have a way to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.