• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Has anybody done this yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robotech2112

Carbon Unit.
Premium Subscriber
Has anybody used the G4, G5 amplifier / charger's external antenna jack in a mobile to coaxially connect a body mount antenna; NMO, TLM, etc? If so, do tell. Pic too if you want. I am told the receive is great and an external ant. is not needed in a lot of cases, but I want to anyway. Tell me about your experience, if you wish.
I am thinking of using this guy on a TLM.antenna800.jpgantenna800.jpg

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If memory serves me correctly, the desktop charger/base external antenna only connects to the secondary band. The 700/800 band always uses the external stubby antenna.
Unless they made changes since i had one.

kc9pwb

My experience is at home. I actually use a 13.5 db gain Yagi antenna with my G5 and speaker amplifier base. I use it to receive a system that is over 40 miles away. I get 2 to 3 bars on the G5 from the factory antenna on the pager, but get all 4 or full scale with the Yagi connected to the base. This is 800mhz P25 system.

Mark - N9PSB

Robotech2112

Carbon Unit.
Premium Subscriber
My experience is at home. I actually use a 13.5 db gain Yagi antenna with my G5 and speaker amplifier base. I use it to receive a system that is over 40 miles away. I get 2 to 3 bars on the G5 from the factory antenna on the pager, but get all 4 or full scale with the Yagi connected to the base. This is 800mhz P25 system.

Mark - N9PSB
Thank you for that input.
Jim.

N6ML

Do you have the G4/G5 already? It may not be worth messing with external antennas, unless you're in a really marginal coverage situation. The 7/800MHz receiver is so good that I just clip mine on the visor above my head when I'm driving (which seems it shouldn't work as well as it does, under the metal roof), and then clip it on my belt when I jump out, without needing to disconnect an external antenna and connect a portable one.

Robotech2112

Carbon Unit.
Premium Subscriber
I just received mine today haven't had a chance to use it yet.
I am going to test coverage in my home county however my adjacent county is going to P25 within the next 6 months . I want to be able to listen to both counties regardless of which county I am sitting in in a mobile.

I allready have the antennas from a previous set up.

Thank you for your reply and your input, I appreciate it.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip> I am going to test coverage in my home county however my adjacent county is going to P25 within the next 6 months . I want to be able to listen to both counties regardless of which county I am sitting in in a mobile. <snip>

Perhaps you are aware of this already, but in case not the Unication G4/G5 pagers can only monitor one trunked P25 system at a time. You can put up to 16 conventional channels in a scan list, but you can only scan one such list at a time. The radio won't scan a conventional scan list and also a P25 trunk system at the same time.

Robotech2112

Carbon Unit.
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am aware. I will listen to either a conv system in 1 county or the P25 in the other county, but only one at a time. When the county with the conv system goes to P25 the same rules apply, one system at a time. Thanks.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Using a 13 dBi Yagi, I'm getting excellent decode from a 700 MHz phase 1 system whose tower is 75 miles away. The signal is very weak, but the G5 does a great job with it. The audio sounds better than it does on my local system. Using an adapter I just attach the coax directly to the SMA connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.