Lost my SDS100 (Found!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Phew to you! My advice is to see if anyone offers a kit that allows you to surgically attach the SDS100 to your person.
I think it's called super glue. LOL

Yes, thanks to everyone for the concerns. It's running like a champ so I'm guessing it landed in the grass next to the sidewalk. I'm looking at those lanyards now, @phask. I would like to get one that allows me to quick-connect it to my backpack, so I'm on the hunt.

For now, I transport it in the backpack instead of a side pouch. I'm likely to install the Uniden SMA-to-BNC adapter and get a BNC antenna so I don't wear out the SMA socket.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I think it's called super glue. LOL

Yes, thanks to everyone for the concerns. It's running like a champ so I'm guessing it landed in the grass next to the sidewalk. I'm looking at those lanyards now, @phask. I would like to get one that allows me to quick-connect it to my backpack, so I'm on the hunt.

For now, I transport it in the backpack instead of a side pouch. I'm likely to install the Uniden SMA-to-BNC adapter and get a BNC antenna so I don't wear out the SMA socket.

Just add a small carabiner - that's what I setup for the GPS. I'd hook it to a belt loop, or my caching pack.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Phew to you! My advice is to see if anyone offers a kit that allows you to surgically attach the SDS100 to your person.

When you remember you're walking around in public with a $600+ radio in view, there are people that kill for that kind of money!

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
File police report, check pawn shops, Offer up, Letgo, Craigslist, hope you have serial #, sorry this happened.

mkt853

This is why my start up screen reads: "This device will self destruct in 60 seconds. Enter deactivation code: "

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Did the cops give you any grief for listening to their transmissions?

I would have an email or phone number on my startup screen, but I don't know if I would have an address. If found by a thief they would know where you live and that you probably have other expensive Electronics worth stealing.

@belvdr glad you got your scanner back.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
11 months early....Don’t expect anything else for Christmas this year.
Lucky bast#%* !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit_Factor

I would have an email or phone number on my startup screen, but I don't know if I would have an address. If found by a thief they would know where you live and that you probably have other expensive Electronics worth stealing.

I was a cop for 10 years. It never bothered me that people were listening.

I think you are giving hoodlums too much credit, they really don't think things through.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I was a cop for 10 years. It never bothered me that people were listening.

I think you are giving hoodlums too much credit, they really don't think things through.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

Better to be prepared than caught off guard due to naivety.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
True, but I'm not about to try to make things easier for them. The cops I work with all have stories of home burglary cases they've worked where the perpetrator got the address from something they stole such as devices with "if found, return to..." on them, portable GPSs with a "Home" address programmed in, and even car insurance and registration documents.

Reactions: NC1

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I heard of a new tactic (updated via technology) that they are using - the vehicle's own gps unit. Valet parkers were caught burglarizing their swanky restaurant's customers while they were inside dining. They handed them the keys, the VPs watch them go inside, they get in the car and hit 'home' on the gps unit. Back in 30 minutes and ripped off without a clue. I don't know if I saw this in a movie or what, but that's using your technology against you, for sure!

JD
kf4anc

radio3353

Reading through these posts, I am surprised that people would put their address on their radio for the finder to see. "An ounce of prevention..." comes to mind. Even if I were to put some kind of identifier on the screen, I would just show an email address and hope for the best. It's just a radio and not worth inviting who knows who to my house.

As for the GPS in the car, I have my home location saved with a bogus name, not "home" or my name.

We all just need to be a little creative to reduce risk. Most criminals are not dumb. They just don't want to work too hard to ply their trade. That's why we lock our windows and doors as a deterrent. They would rather find the easy mark and be in and out quickly.

belvdr

No longer interested in living

No grief given. They were cool about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.